The 3 heavy weights and other audio myths... Abyss VS Utopia VS LCD4's
Feb 13, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #91 of 118
I already asked this in Utopia forum, but will ask here as well.
Would you rather have 1great HP like the Utopia or several in 1k range with different sound qualities?

I have not heard the Utopia, but I do own the Elear. My impressions are here. Although it is currently my favorite headphone out of the ones I have owned, I would not want to only be stuck with it. I love it with softer recordings, but with more aggressive, energetic music (like metal and some electronic genres), I tend to reach for other headphones—even the Koss KTXPRO1, which is a hundred times cheaper.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #93 of 118
  Is there a particular amp/cable that can help open up the sound-stage on the Utopia?

I am currently using the Moon Audio black dragon which seems to me to be as good as most any other option for the money

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #95 of 118
Feb 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #96 of 118
For me the choice is between LCD-4 and Utopia,they are different enough that I can enjoy them both equally with different styles of music....I think musically I like the LCD-4 better but the combination of comfort and efficiency of the Utopia make it a wash

May 6, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #97 of 118
For me the choice is between LCD-4 and Utopia,they are different enough that I can enjoy them both equally with different styles of music....I think musically I like the LCD-4 better but the combination of comfort and efficiency of the Utopia make it a wash

Ah but have you heard the LCD-4 through something ludicrously powerful? The whole Utopia/Abyss/LCD-4 shootout business becomes considerably more straightforward when you have a Wells Audio amp or similar to plug them into... at least that's what I found.

May 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #98 of 118
Ah but have you heard the LCD-4 through something ludicrously powerful? The whole Utopia/Abyss/LCD-4 shootout business becomes considerably more straightforward when you have a Wells Audio amp or similar to plug them into... at least that's what I found.

Which ludicrously powerful amp would you recommend for the LCD4? I heard them through a SimAudio 430 and felt that the LCD3 gave more insight into the upper midrange and treble but perhaps the LCD4 needed more running in. One thing that I simply could not abide was the weight of the Audeze headphones and the pressure point on top of my head which is why I ultimately went with the Focal Utopia and Headamp GS-X Mk2 which was not only superior in terms of build quality and comfort, but also gave a more honest account of each recording.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #99 of 118

I wouldn't consider the Headtrip 'ludicrously' powerful, personally, but to each their own. It's a big amp, no doubt but it is "only" a 50 watt/ch into 8 ohm amp.

I also has a Pass Labs INT-30a (30watt/ch, full class A) that I used, but didn't include in the review. The findings where consistent with the exception of the Utopia's which are too sensitive to be hooked up to an that big.

I've also heard the Abyss and LCD4's out of a pair of Classe CA-M400 400 watt mono blocks (which was ludicrously powerful). This was overkill :)

May 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #102 of 118
Has anyone heard the HE 1000 v2? Does it belong on the list with these or is it a stretch?

May 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #103 of 118
Has anyone heard the HE 1000 v2? Does it belong on the list with these or is it a stretch?

Yes the HEK V2 very much belongs in this group. On a combination of SQ and comfort I prefered it to any of the other 3 and that was irrespective of price. All directly driven by DAVE - this was deliberate as it was part of my downsizing experiment (not having to use an external amp was important to me). I posted impressions on the Stax thread a few months ago. Can't find it at the moment.

Since then I've found that the HEK V2 can be further improved by DAVE's cross-feed feature to reduce its very wide soundstage; and by some minor EQ.

Also since then I heard another Utopia with Nordost Heimdell (sounds like) cable at a meet, and it gave a better account of itself than my memory of the first time. But I sill prefered my HEK V2s irrespective of price. It's primarily Utopia's small soundstage that failed it for me.

From a purely SQ point of view, I felt the Abyss sounded great, equal but different to the HEK, but no way could I put up with the Abyss looks, weight and fussy adjustments.

Compared to the others, I felt the LCD 4 was a bit in no-mans land: nothing particularly poor or outstanding about it, and apart from that it was too heavy for my liking and only adequately comfortable. And cost more than the HEK, as did all the others, although all of them were better built than the HEK.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #104 of 118

I am thinking the same way. have lcd4 but also want utopia in the future for different mood, different music and maybe for longer sessions, audeze not very comfortable for longer than 1 hr. need something more comfortable.

about amping. moon is very good with LCD4, but not perfect. I think the best way is to find great tube amp, tube and lcd would be very very great. maybe studio or studio jr - something like this...

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #105 of 118
for author - thank you very very much for gtreat review, very interesting! but abyss is really ugly, you should just take it)) they sound absolutely gtreat, but they are ugly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back