TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
May 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #378 of 385
What's going on here?The sound i get from the dac driving the power amp is better than my preamp's.
Is there any explanation?The dac bypasses circuits that my preamp processes?

Not sure what you mean here. Are you comparing your dac directly into your power amp, and your dac connected to your preamp and that then connected to your power amp?

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #379 of 385
Driving my power amp using the dac's headphone socket and adjusting the volume from it,sounds much better than having the dac connected via RCA-RCA to my preamp and then the preamp driving the power amp

May 16, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #380 of 385
Driving my power amp using the dac's headphone socket and adjusting the volume from it,sounds much better than having the dac connected via RCA-RCA to my preamp and then the preamp driving the power amp

That is a good observation. The reason is that the headphone amplifier is much better quality than whatever opamps they are using to drive the RCA jack on the back. It is regrettable that they could not have wired it up to use the headphone amp for both the headphones and the RCA sockets. I use to have an Oppo Ha-1 and the headphone out also sounded better than the RCA out.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #383 of 385
Hi guys,

I don't know whether this thread is still active, but I got a question regarding the Teac UD-H01 DAC. I have a possibility to buy this DAC second hand for around €110 (I live in the Netherlands), and was wondering whether you guys would recommend this DAC over the newer and popular Topping D30 DAC, which has a more basic and low-end design, but has received some praise especially with respect to value for money.
I have some concerns about support from Teac, since it is an older and quite fast discontinued DAC, although I saw they released a driver in November 2018. Furthermore, although the sound is quite good for its price, I'm a bit concerned by the problems some people experience when using this DAC, and the fact that it never gained much popularity among people. I'm mainly going to use it with both my computer and Volumio running on a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #384 of 385
Hi guys,

I don't know whether this thread is still active, but I got a question regarding the Teac UD-H01 DAC. I have a possibility to buy this DAC second hand for around €110 (I live in the Netherlands), and was wondering whether you guys would recommend this DAC over the newer and popular Topping D30 DAC, which has a more basic and low-end design, but has received some praise especially with respect to value for money.
I have some concerns about support from Teac, since it is an older and quite fast discontinued DAC, although I saw they released a driver in November 2018. Furthermore, although the sound is quite good for its price, I'm a bit concerned by the problems some people experience when using this DAC, and the fact that it never gained much popularity among people. I'm mainly going to use it with both my computer and Volumio running on a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I got this dac a couple of days ago. I was concerned the usb connection wouldn't be plug and play with my Linux based Innuos Zen or my Squezelite based Raspberry Pi. However, I have a few decent USB to Spdif converters so thought I'd take a punt as I have a new (to me) headphone amp with only balanced ins and my old Zero dac with rca outs gives a buzz at higher volumes. Anyway, I was VERY pleased to find it was plug and play with both devices via USB. My assumption is the software releases on both devices include the right drivers. Being common Tenor chip based maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Soundwise I'm VERY pleased with it. I've had a Matrix, Young, Dacmagic etc.and this is my favourite of the lot as it sounds very natural to me. Appreciate many will disagree with my opinion.

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #385 of 385
Latecomer to this thread, hoping someone still has a UD-H01 going.

I already have a PD-H01 which I'm not using at the moment in my main system - as I've bought a vintage Marantz PM-16 Amp. Wonderful sound - but only phono inputs. I use this system for my TV/Home Cinema as much as anything. The screen is a current Panasonic OLED, and they have no phono outputs.

The current bodge around is an Audioquest Forest Minijack to 2 phono from the TV's headphone out, but it's far from ideal.

So...any reason why an optical from the TV to a UD-H01 and then 2 phono to my Amp wouldn't work ? Anyone tried this ?

Here's the Amp, imported from Germany. Sounds wonderful with "where's the subwoofer ?" bass already. I'm hoping to improve that still further.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-PM-16.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back