TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014)
Feb 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #361 of 447
  On another not, I've been letting my P90 burn in night and day and with the LZ A4 IEMs, the player truly sounds sweet now,

Andre

Actually, I had heard from others reporting P90 gets sometimes really hot, I never experienced that with my unit until last week. It got hot like a cooking plate(!!!) that I started getting scared, turned it off and stopped listening. I took it back few days later and got a big surprise. The sound is now even clearer and crispier than even before and I now have to listen with the attenuator at -20dB from -10dB before with volume knob around 3/4 as usual...... amazing piece of gear!!

Phonewise I can report that it pairs extremely bad with Shure's 840 for whatever reason, bloated bass, really bad. On the other hand, my favorite phone while using P90 became Koss' PortaPro which in turn is known to be bass-rich and bloated with other amps, ...... strange enough but it sounds really crisp and clear like other much more pricier phones.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #362 of 447

Actually, I had heard from others reporting P90 gets sometimes really hot, I never experienced that with my unit until last week. It got hot like a cooking plate(!!!) that I started getting scared, turned it off and stopped listening. I took it back few days later and got a big surprise. The sound is now even clearer and crispier than even before and I now have to listen with the attenuator at -20dB from -10dB before with volume knob around 3/4 as usual...... amazing piece of gear!!

Phonewise I can report that it pairs extremely bad with Shure's 840 for whatever reason, bloated bass, really bad. On the other hand, my favorite phone while using P90 became Koss' PortaPro which in turn is known to be bass-rich and bloated with other amps, ...... strange enough but it sounds really crisp and clear like other much more pricier phones.

Molins, 

Mine gets a little warm but nothing like what your describing.  When I play all night and day, I prop it up so that it's not lying on it's back.  I think this may help with keeping it cool.

Do you have any experience with other high end player and how the Teac compares to them.  I keep finding myself surfing the Head-Fi classified ads wondering if there is anything out there which sounds better.   I like the look of the Luxury&Precision L3 and L5 series players and also the A&K stuff which has rave reviews and user feedback but I just couldn't see myself spending that much just to find out the sound is not better then my P90.

I wish someone could to a comparison between the A&K AK240 or AK380 and the P90.

Andre

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #363 of 447
Take it from me, AK is a joke, they are just standard iriver on the inside, I have studied the hardware on the inside of their daps and it is laughable for the price you pay. They are only in business because of the bias of people who love the sound of the dap they just spent an arm and a leg on, it also helps they look and feel premium. Just to clarify, I'm not saying they sound bad, they sound quite nice, iriver has been in the game longer than most, they know how to make a good dap, but the crazy priced AK's are just dressed up irivers, they do not justify their price with their hardware design, not in the least.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #364 of 447
  Take it from me, AK is a joke, they are just standard iriver on the inside, I have studied the hardware on the inside of their daps and it is laughable for the price you pay. They are only in business because of the bias of people who love the sound of the dap they just spent an arm and a leg on, it also helps they look and feel premium. Just to clarify, I'm not saying they sound bad, they sound quite nice, iriver has been in the game longer than most, they know how to make a good dap, but the crazy priced AK's are just dressed up irivers, they do not justify their price with their hardware design, not in the least.

Thanks for the feed back, you just saved me allot of money on a "Just Curious" situation.  I was already looking at some AK120s on the classified.  I know you have allot of experience with the P90 and one thing I'm wondering about is the P90 sound stage.   You've made the comment in the past that in order to get a wider sound stage with the P90, you need a particular IEM.   Can you recommend any that you have experience with which will give you an out of the head experience.  

I have the LZ A4 and I love their sound but I hate the way everything is jumbled up in my head so I'm looking for something which will be a good fit for 80's & 90's R&B music and provide a tight, fast bass, warm mids  and good highs.   I know you normally use over the ear cans but I'm an IEM man since I do allot of traveling and like to move with a light load.

Andre 

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #365 of 447
Just to confirm, Sandisk Ultra microSDXC 200GB UHS-I (SDSDQUAN-200G) works perfect (here under FAT32) with P90...... Edit: For whatever reasons it does not create the two folders "PLAYLISTS" and "UTILITY" so you will need to do this manually if you want to work with playlists.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #366 of 447
  All P90 Owners,

I had a phoncon with Brian at Teac Support today (2/27/2017) and he stated due to the all the emails he received from you guys/gals concerning the "Folder View" the engineers are going to look into the matter to see if there is something that can be corrected/modified to allow "Folder View".   He told me to keep an eye on the Teac download area to see if anything gets posted there since sometimes Teac Japan post new firmwares without notifying Teac America Operational Support.

I told Brian I would call him back in two weeks to see if any progress or new information had come from Teac Engineers Japan.  I will not give up on my P90 because it is truly a wonderful sounding player and the quality of the build is top shelf so we just need to push Teac to take the UI to the next level and we can all retire from DAP purchasing FOREVER :)

Andre

what a great news !!!

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #367 of 447
  You completely misunderstood. I did not mean the same model dap changing or not changing or with burn in. I meant completely different daps, depending on their design, can be affected or not by burn in. Example my F887 didn't change with burn in, but my ZX1 did.

Also the reason some DX100's sound different to each other is because ibasso unfortunately update the pcb as they go along with production, same with other Chinese dap makers:

Fiio X5 had 5 PCB revisions after release.
QLS QA360 had 5 PCB revisions after release and there has been comparison of two QA360's sounding different.
DX90 had at least 3 pcb revisions after release and Headfonia compared two DX90's that sounded different.
Aune B1 has had 2 PCB revisions that sound different.
Hum had 3 PCB revisions that sound different.
Ihifi 960 had 3 PCB revisions that sound different.
And many others...

This is unfortunately a problem with most Chinese dap makers, they don't seem to do enough development before release and end up tweaking the circuitry slightly as they go along with production. This is why I am personally never buying a Chinese dap again...

Big budget manufacturers like Teac and Sony don't do this, they finalize the design before releasing. That's why I'm only going to buy from big reputable brands from now on, I'm looking forward to the new Onkyo dap.

Hiii @T.R.A.N.C.E xD

Are you sure of that???

Today all chip and other Part are made in chinese,....
ALL xD...

Inside production 2 Product are NEVER Similare, still different.... xD
When chirurgical precision is needed the product is different, exemple 2 LCD Screens with Colors.... xD

TEAC never uptdate PCD are you sure of that? xD

All,

I had a phone conversation with Brian at Teac Support in reference to my P90 not playing WMA files and he's checking into that problem.   During our phone conversation we discussed the possibility of adding a "Folder View" to the OS.   Brian stated he was not an engineer and could not make the call concerning whether or not this feature could be added but he did state that if  I sent him request for the "Foldre View" he would forward it up to the engineers to get a determination on whether it can be done.

He also stated that the HA-P90SD is still a popular current product in the Teac line up.   He gave me his email address for owners who would like to see the "Folder View" feature added to send there request to.  I'm asking P90 owners to email Brian and then post on this forum so we can have an idea of how many forum members are sending an email.

Brian's email:  Bqualls@teac.com

Below is an example of the email I sent to Brian just in case your not in the mood to be creative, feel free to use it or create your own.   Let's stick to just asking for the Folder View and if they come through on this request then we can ask for other improvements.

"Teac Support,

As an owner of the Teac HA-P90SD I would like this email forwarded to your engineering department to determine if a "Folder View" can be add to the OS of the HA-P90SD DAP.   Folder View is a standard music file view format found on most players in today's DAP market and for such a high-end product as your HA-P90SD it's surely a must.
You've created a world class DAP so please take it to the next level by entertaining your customers needs and adding the a "Folder View".  You can reach me at Your Email@yahoo.com with any questions or comments concerning this request.

Thank you

John Doe"

Oki Nice I write to TEAC support! xD
UI is the more BAD in Universe..... xD
I Think "Folder Option" is Mandatory for this Player.... xD
Oki so I Find Japon site for Firmware:
https://teac.jp/jp/product/ha-p90sd/download
Actually version Still 1.3...

I have other Problem When I choice a Music tried By Artist, Play Screen.... And When I wat come back previously at "ALBUM" I came to MAIN MENU STILL!!!!! xD
Always Main Menu come back.....
How do you do???
Thx.

P90 need to Hot a bit for better Sound???
Because the last days I listen Music about 10min, I go Test my Other DAC XDP-100R, I return to Test the TEAC and I find that Sound was Better.... xD
So do you feel that too? Better Sound after Use some minute???

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #368 of 447
@[color=#0000CD]Anarkia333[/color] 

Yes, you are correct, there hasn't been a new firmware update as of yet but I will continue to stay in touch with Brian at Operation Support until they make a decision one way or another about the "Folder View" but all those interest in seeing a "Folder View" should constantly email him for status/updates on this request.  Because you are right it's a PAIN in the A** to have to always go back to "Main" to change to a different Album under the Artist you are already listening to.  The UI just needs some simple tweaking to make it allot better.
Tagging is also an issue because I've notice, certain MP3, WAV, and WMA will not be recognized properly if the tagging is incorrect, these song will end up under "UNKNOWN" folder.  I'm still making changes to my Tagging software to figure out what the Teac needs for a proper tag.

Anakia333, if you can post on the Japanese forum about contacting Teac and requesting "Folder View" then that would give us even more support for the "Folder View" option.   Folks we can make this happen but we have to PUSH THEM and let them know that P90 Owners are not going away.

I really haven't notice if the sound improved after the player warmed up but I will not listen for that effect. 

Anarkia333 so do you think the P90 sounds better or equal to the Pioneer XDP-100R?

Thanks

Andre

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #369 of 447
Heyyy xD,

Come Back xD

So, I Tested some Hours the 2 DAC.... (TEAC P90 and XDP-100R)
Test with Some mp3-320kbps and FLAC 44.1Khz.
Shure SE435 and SE535.
2 DAP configured at "LOW" gain because SHURE is about 32 Om.
TEAC in Version 1.3, and XDP-100R Japon Version in Version of Android 5.1.1 SW 0.1.37.8_2016

This is my Conclusion:
-TEAC is nice, but sound "to close", "very clearly", a bit "Agressif"
I thing too clearly, and no neutral.

-XDP-100R
Perfect, sound "Open", "clear".
I thing very Neutral.

2 DAC are nice, but Different.
Dependly of your "TASTE" in Sound, what you prefer....

But, as the P90 has a UI very very BAD, I thing it is Good for User who LOVE its Sound, if not this DAC has 0 Interet I think....

On this Music the Sound "to Close" of the P90 is evident:

Voice is Too "Clear" on P90, Hide some details I think:

But on my Favorite Music P90 is better that XDP xD: (ahah)

Note: For the Option "Lock Range" I don't Listen difference with XDP.
Sursample 48Khz to 192Khz seem give a Echo effect at music; I don't know is it is Better with or not.... xD

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #370 of 447
what I do not understand is how the battery with half the capacity can last twice the time than in P90..... battery capacity of my 3 months old P90 has already fallen down to ~3140mAh from 3460 it had initially.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #371 of 447
@Anarkia333

Well on a positive side for the P90, it sounds like it's pretty close in sound quality to the XDP which makes me happy considering the price I paid for mine.  Do you know how many hours you have on your P90 because at first I also thought all the sound was in my head using my brand new LZ A4 iems but the more burn in time I've put on both my P90 and LZ A4, the better the sound stage.   I think user TRANCE stated pretty much the same thing in a previous post, the P90 needs burn in time to sound it's best.

I notice reviewers conducting reviews on audio equipment with know burn in and to me that gives the wrong impression of a piece of audio equipment.   Sometimes they describe sound as being muddy and this something I always notice when I first get new IEMs or DAP, the bass can be bloated and the highs are not crisp but then after some good ole burn in, the equipment comes into it's own.

Yes the UI is not the best but for the sound I'm getting and the fact that I don't need to carry around an amp, I can live with this DAP.  I was listening to some Zen Garden last night and with the comfort of my LZ A4, I was able to disappear into the music.

I've been doing allot of reading about various DAPs and NONE of them are all perfect and I'm not spending $2000+ dollars for a portable rig because at some point it's totally diminishing returns if you do not have all high quality source material.   I went through the same thing on the Video Projector side of the house before we had Bluray content, owner spending butt loads of money to try and get the last drop of quality out of sub par source material. 

Andre

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #372 of 447
what I do not understand is how the battery with half the capacity can last twice the time than in P90..... battery capacity of my 3 months old P90 has already fallen down to ~3140mAh from 3460 it had initially.

I wonder if you can replace the stock battery with a bigger capacity battery once the stock battery dwindles down to unsuitability. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #375 of 447
  lots of Teac fans here in the Philippines.  Here in our group I think there are at least 8-9 members with the P90 :) 

Bri G,  it's good to know that the Teac has a following in the PI.   I've started an effort to try and get "Folder View" added to the P90.   Could you and your group take a look at the below post and see if you would like to send Brian at Teac Operation Support an email in support of getting "Folder View".   If you go back a couple of pages in this thread you will see a recap of the conversation I've had with Brian.

"Originally Posted by fraza44 

All,

I had a phone conversation with Brian at Teac Support in reference to my P90 not playing WMA files and he's checking into that problem.   During our phone conversation we discussed the possibility of adding a "Folder View" to the OS.   Brian stated he was not an engineer and could not make the call concerning whether or not this feature could be added but he did state that if  I sent him request for the "Foldre View" he would forward it up to the engineers to get a determination on whether it can be done.

He also stated that the HA-P90SD is still a popular current product in the Teac line up.   He gave me his email address for owners who would like to see the "Folder View" feature added to send there request to.  I'm asking P90 owners to email Brian and then post on this forum so we can have an idea of how many forum members are sending an email.

Brian's email:  Bqualls@teac.com

Below is an example of the email I sent to Brian just in case your not in the mood to be creative, feel free to use it or create your own.   Let's stick to just asking for the Folder View and if they come through on this request then we can ask for other improvements.

"Teac Support,

As an owner of the Teac HA-P90SD I would like this email forwarded to your engineering department to determine if a "Folder View" can be add to the OS of the HA-P90SD DAP.   Folder View is a standard music file view format found on most players in today's DAP market and for such a high-end product as your HA-P90SD it's surely a must.
You've created a world class DAP so please take it to the next level by entertaining your customers needs and adding the a "Folder View".  You can reach me at Your Email@yahoo.com with any questions or comments concerning this request.

Thank you

John Doe"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back