Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #211 of 4,535
I’ve had the Takstar PRO82 for about six weeks now. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the time to listen to them as much as I would have liked to, so I was a bit reluctant to share any impressions without putting some more attention on its performance first.

I can say something now. In short: I like these headphones and for the price I think it’s a real killer; but I also found some quirks (as one would expect from a sub-100€ headphone).

Before going into this brief review, let me state that I am a complete newbie to the audiophile scene. In fact, this is my first “Hi-Fi setup” (so to say), together with a Mojo that I bought in advance—now pairing it with these headphones. In the past, I used to listen to IEMs (mostly Shure), but had no special interest in DACs/AMPs, etc. Perhaps because years ago I tested a DragonFly (old version) and wasn’t impressed by its output whatsoever. Oh!, and recently, before purchasing these PRO82, I also tried the BeoPlay H6 (2nd gen), which to me was an absolute fail sound-wise (too bassy, had to return it).

So I entered into this business with a lot of things to experiment with wrt combinations and their effect on sound quality: from the source (standard streaming rates, to lossless Red Book, to hi-res files), to the different players available (on the MacBook and on the iPad using CCK), to the DAC input connections (optical vs USB), to even the headphones switch (namely, that bass port which allows you to increase the low frequency response in the PRO82). Too much to play with :)

What do I think (so far) about the sound of the Takstar PRO82?

I believe these headphones are superb in the bass region. They go down to the deep ocean, it’s the first time ever that I was astonished from listening to “Limit to your love” by James Blake, for instance. Same can be said for almost any hip-hop or r&b or electronic song with a strong sub-bass line. In the default configuration (i.e. with the bass port totally closed), the lows are delicious. You can feel that they're always there, and certainly a bit above the mids as you can infer from the FR diagrams, but in a very controlled amount. It’s the configuration I like the most; nonetheless, I wouldn’t discard switching the bass port one position down to the +3dB boost. Actually, in recordings with less bass presence, I’ve found that in some cases setting the bass port to the middle position helps to improve male vocals, as it bleeds just a little bit into the mids and makes them sound more natural to me. It even helps a bit to equilibrate the lows when on the go (bus, train). The +6dB setting (i.e. with the bass port all open) is totally useless to my taste, it gets all the frequency spectrum blurred.

Speaking a bit of vocals above is where my first little complaint pops up. It’s been commented before that mids are recessed and it’s true. I’ve tried with many different great singers and only few times I felt dragged by their interpretation, like if they were whispering directly at my ears. Lorde’s voice in “Pure Heroine”, for instance, an album that I know well and that it's available in 24/96, sounds a bit buried between the somewhat elevated bass and the treble sounds. On average, it is more like listening to the performer a few seats behind the front row; it’s just a bit distant, but I’m missing something there. I also noticed the pitch shifted slightly towards the highs. That’s why in my experience opening the bass port by one notch, sometimes made the vocals sound more natural, especially for male voices, at the expense perhaps of a bit of clarity, but still worth it. In my opinion it also helps to equilibrate the bass and treble levels (or sound pressure, or output gain, I don’t know how to properly state it), with the mids obviously below that bar (V-shape). But I must stress here that this only works well if the song has moderate bass muscle, otherwise the spectrum gets too polluted with that +3dB bass boost (not worth it). A good example to apply this setting to is “Happy” by Pharrell Williams in its hi-res edition.

It’s in the highs where I find that some more improvement should be needed. Perhaps not in their resolution, which is good, but in their delivered timbre. Quite often I notice some notes sounding a bit unnatural, with a defined metallic character. Because of this, I don’t think it’s a headphone well suited to classical music. It’s subtle and nothing I can’t live with it though, but a more refined response would be awesome. I wonder whether this could be tweaked (softened) by the use of some foam pads inserted into the ear cup (?).

Regarding the soundstage or 3D representation of instruments and voices, I think it's ok but not great. Only few times I had the feeling that sounds were filling up the room or that I was positioned in the center of a sounding sphere. It is usually more like a left-right game between the ear cups, not very spacious. They can be perceived a bit closed sometimes (depending on the audio production, I guess).

Other aspects I do like are comfort and design. These headphones are very light and the clamping force is just about perfect to my head. I noticed this from the very first time I put them on and my opinion hasn’t changed over time. I use to wear them with the headband totally closed or adjusted just one click up. Regarding design, I have the black version and I think they have a simplistic, modern and sleek look, quite elegant indeed for such an inexpensive product. They are mid-sized while having ear cups with enough room to accommodate my ears very comfortably, so very convenient for portable use. Materials are ok for the price, I guess, although I have a little complaint about the pads: they can make your ears sweat a lot. Something that is expected from a sealed headphone, but perhaps a different material not interfering with the sonic of the headphones could have helped to alleviate this a little bit. (In Spain, now in summer, we reach temperatures above 100ºF and it’s a shame I can't barely listen to them for more than 30min). The cable is replaceable and isolation is quite good.

Hope all these comments are useful to the forum and that I didn’t misunderstood too many audiophile concepts or did make you feel confused about the performance of these headphones. Despite some of my negative comments, I truly think the Takstar PRO82 are an excellent buy (I will not return mine).

But in the end, everything in this field is so subjective… right?
Hasta la vista.

I agree with what you said about the bass being pretty picky sometimes. I open all ports for bass heavy electronic/hip hop music, and open one for pretty much everything else. I'm naturally a basshead so i also boost 3db at 40 hz which boosts the sub-bass a bit more without destroying all the other frequencies.

Also in agreement is the treble performance and soundstage. It's good for the price, but not great in my opinion. I thought the sibilant highs would die down a little but it's still one of my complaints with this pair of hp's. Detail is good still but there's something that's happening around the 8-10 khz range that's keeping me from placing these's higher up on the value ladder.

Other than that, I am still keeping these as they sound great and is still a very good value.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #212 of 4,535
Hey, thank you for getting back with me. I think I understand now. So all I need to do is grab on to the plastic around the ear pad and pull it off? Do I need to worry when pulling so that I don't break any plastic clips or anything like that? Do I pull just straight off, or do I need to rotate them any?

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #214 of 4,535
... In short: I like these headphones and for the price I think it’s a real killer...
It sure is!

Speaking a bit of vocals above is where my first little complaint pops up. It’s been commented before that mids are recessed and it’s true. I’ve tried with many different great singers and only few times I felt dragged by their interpretation, like if they were whispering directly at my ears. Lorde’s voice in “Pure Heroine”, for instance, an album that I know well and that it's available in 24/96, sounds a bit buried between the somewhat elevated bass and the treble sounds. On average, it is more like listening to the performer a few seats behind the front row; it’s just a bit distant, but I’m missing something there. I also noticed the pitch shifted slightly towards the highs. That’s why in my experience opening the bass port by one notch, sometimes made the vocals sound more natural, especially for male voices, at the expense perhaps of a bit of clarity, but still worth it. In my opinion it also helps to equilibrate the bass and treble levels (or sound pressure, or output gain, I don’t know how to properly state it), with the mids obviously below that bar (V-shape). But I must stress here that this only works well if the song has moderate bass muscle, otherwise the spectrum gets too polluted with that +3dB bass boost (not worth it). A good example to apply this setting to is “Happy” by Pharrell Williams in its hi-res edition.
I do enjoy Pro 82's vocals, but in a different way than other headphones.

BossHifi B8 is slightly mid-forward - it gives me the front row experience, but the air between me and the artist is a bit foggy.
Pro 82 is slightly recessed in the mids - it puts me a couple rows back, but the air between me and the artist is absolutely clear.
Different presentations, but I find both pleasurable on most tracks.

That's the usual trade-off - mid-forward headphones are usually on the warm/veiled side, and mid-recessed headphones can have more clarity in the mids, since the veil has gone away.

Also, this might be Mojo's fault. See this from Headphonia's review:
"While Mojo’s mids sound engaging, the overall presentation to me still is more on the digital side"
http://www.headfonia.com/review-chord-mojo-hot-or-not/2/

It’s in the highs where I find that some more improvement should be needed. Perhaps not in their resolution, which is good, but in their delivered timbre. Quite often I notice some notes sounding a bit unnatural, with a defined metallic character. Because of this, I don’t think it’s a headphone well suited to classical music. It’s subtle and nothing I can’t live with it though, but a more refined response would be awesome. I wonder whether this could be tweaked (softened) by the use of some foam pads inserted into the ear cup (?).
Pro 82 is very transparent, it doesn't have it's own timbre. It sounds VASTLY different from different DACs/Amps.
It does sound a bit metallic/digital from Emotiva Big Ego, but not from Oppo HA-2, NFB-11.32, ODAC+O2 or FIIO E17+FIIIO E12.
Pro 82 is so transparent, that I can easily distinguish between Oppo HA-2 and HA-2SE(that one does have much worse timbre), or headphone out and variable out on NFB-11.32, or USB and Coax input on NFB-11.32.

Treble might be Mojo's fault again, at least according to Headphonia's review:
"Treble is energetic yet still relaxed and detailed but it at the same time doesn’t fully extend. Hardly anyone will find the Mojo’s treble lacking though, it’s more than good enough. Mojo is clean, clear, dynamic and transparent. It to me also is a little more compact sounding with a touch of darkness, especially compared to the Hugo"

I had Mojo at least half a dozen times in my shopping cart, but never pulled the trigger. Now I'm glad I didn't :jecklinsmile:
I highly recommend you to snatch one of the remaining Oppo HA-2 on Ebay (shipping from UK).
Just don't go into a store and demo HA-2SE thinking it represents HA-2 sound quality - it doesn't.

You are right, Pro 82 isn't great for classical, but mostly because it's a closed headphone with the soundstage that is typical for closed headphones.
Classical always sounds better on open headphones. If you gotta have a closed headphone for classical - B8 and XPT100 are a better choice.

Pro 82 kills at jazz though.

Regarding the soundstage or 3D representation of instruments and voices, I think it's ok but not great. Only few times I had the feeling that sounds were filling up the room or that I was positioned in the center of a sounding sphere. It is usually more like a left-right game between the ear cups, not very spacious. They can be perceived a bit closed sometimes (depending on the audio production, I guess).
As a closed portable headphone it won't set any records in soundstage or 3-D presentation, but it does better than most in its class.
Usually the presentation in my brain is like I'm sitting close to the stage (but not front row), and the instruments are well separated from each other.
If I'm listening to a concert in a stadium - it does feel like a stadium.
If I'm listening to a concert in a concert hall - it does feel like a concert hall.
If I'm listening to a live studio recording - it does feel like I'm in the studio with the artist.
If I'm listening to a normal studio recording - it does feel like I'm listening to a recording, I'm not there with the artist.
Pro 82 never exaggerates the stage, but it does convey the true nature of the event.

...Materials are ok for the price, I guess, although I have a little complaint about the pads: they can make your ears sweat a lot. Something that is expected from a sealed headphone, but perhaps a different material not interfering with the sonic of the headphones could have helped to alleviate this a little bit. (In Spain, now in summer, we reach temperatures above 100ºF and it’s a shame I can't barely listen to them for more than 30min).
I'm not aware of any closed/semi-open headphone that won't make your ears sweat in above 100ºF, this sounds more like IEM/earbud weather :jecklinsmile:

...Despite some of my negative comments, I truly think the Takstar PRO82 are an excellent buy (I will not return mine).
No argument here!

Excellent impressions, I have added them to the 3rd post.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #215 of 4,535
Pro 82 is slightly recessed in the mids - it puts me a couple rows back, but the air between me and the artist is absolutely clear.
Agree on this, which inadvertently makes me increase the volume up to levels where I'm not used to. There, it sounds spectacularly good for some time, until the treble starts to be a bit penetrating.

Also, this might be Mojo's fault. See this from Headphonia's review:
"While Mojo’s mids sound engaging, the overall presentation to me still is more on the digital side"
Treble might be Mojo's fault again, at least according to Headphonia's review:
"Treble is energetic yet still relaxed and detailed but it at the same time doesn’t fully extend. Hardly anyone will find the Mojo’s treble lacking though, it’s more than good enough. Mojo is clean, clear, dynamic and transparent. It to me also is a little more compact sounding with a touch of darkness, especially compared to the Hugo"
I'm reasonably happy with the Mojo, despite its own possible flaws (which every device has). Some other reviews elevate the Mojo up to the exosphere, which is also unreal. Regarding the treble response, I always read that the Mojo was very “musical”, warm sounding, so I wasn't expecting such metallic character in the highs. I'm sure @Rob Watts will be sick of this kind of discussions, but I wonder what he thinks about it: Mojo + chi-fi headphones :p

Pro 82 is very transparent, it doesn't have it's own timbre. It sounds VASTLY different from different DACs/Amps.
I highly recommend you to snatch one of the remaining Oppo HA-2 on Ebay (shipping from UK).
Very tempting...

I'm not aware of any closed/semi-open headphone that won't make your ears sweat in above 100ºF
I'm aware of the limitations. This is just to remind the manufacturers to keep doing research on that aspect too. Eventually, they will find a material with all the good properties.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #216 of 4,535
Comparison with B&O H6

I have purchased H6 because I liked my H7 a lot, and multiple reviews claimed that H7 doesn't sound as good as H6, e.g. https://marco.org/headphones-closed-portable#h7
Before I purchased H7, I have compared it in the store with H6, H8 and Momentum 2. H7 was a clear winner, and I had no doubts that I have made the right choice.
However, the reviews of H6 were so great, that a few months later I have decided to give it a chance.
I've decided to go with the first revision, as I wanted to experience the more "audiophile", less bassy tuning.

This turned out to be a huge disappointment, comparable perhaps only with my disappointment from HD600.
At first, I thought that it just needed some burn-in (H7 sure did), but the sound didn't change.

H6.jpg

Comfort:

H6_Pro82_headband.jpg

H6's headband is wider than Pro 82's, but it has less padding.

H6_xpt_headband.jpg

Same is true when comparing with XPT100.

H6_Pro82_pads.jpg

H6 pads are rounder and smaller than Pro 82

H6_xpt_pads.jpg

Same is true for XPT100

If the NVX XPT100 with the ComfortMax pads is 10 out of 10 comfort-wise, and Pro 82 is an 8-8.5, then H6 is a 7.
Surprisingly, it is more comfortable than H7, despite thinner pads - possibly due to lower pressure on the ears.
H6 and H7 pads are not interchangeable, and of course you can't use 3rd party pads either.

Isolation/Leakage:
There is very little isolation, not a great choice for noisy environments.
Leakage is an issue as well.

Bass:
Quantity is neutral, and I wish I could say that about the quality.
Bass is vert muddy, badly controlled. I don't think I've heard bass that bad since Beats Solo HD.
H7 has a MUCH better bass, closer to Pro 82' quality than H6's.

Mids:
Mids are very veiled and recessed, timbre is off. It reminds me of HD600.
Just look at this horrible FR (from Innerfidelity):
upload_2017-7-8_21-24-43.png

It makes the old Pro 80 sound like a mid-forward phone, not to mention Pro 82.

Treble:
As you can guess from the FR above, this is a dark headphone - nothing to write home about.

Soundstage/imaging:
Sounstage is closed in, very headphone-y
The whole presentation is very headphone-y, music is being played "at me", not around me.
Music is coming from a distance, if only I could push it closer to me...

Accessories:
H6 comes with a horrible cable, and you can't easily replace it - since the cable is showed inside the cup, the plug must be very thin.
Here is a comparison with Pro 82 and B8 cables:
upload_2017-7-8_21-37-28.png

However, cable isn't the reason for the bad sound - H7 sounds great with it.

Overall:
Complete and utter disappointment

Attachments

• H6_H7_pads.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #217 of 4,535
Overall:
Complete and utter disappointment
I had the very same impression about the "revised" BeoPlay H6 (2nd gen). It is heavier than the Pro82 and the hardness of the foam used in the headband to me was excessive, too rigid. Definitely not as confortable as the Pro82 over my head. I bought them not only because of Marco's article, who puts them 1st in his ranking, but also based on Zeos' recommendation (here and also mentioned recently here). Their sound does not worth the current US$255 on Amazon. Even my girlfriend who doesn't care too much about hi-fi thought that they were too bassy and lacking in clarity. They are very good looking and the materials are of good quality, but I would also advise you to stay away! :runner:

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #218 of 4,535
I had the very same impression about the "revised" BeoPlay H6 (2nd gen). It is heavier than the Pro82 and the hardness of the foam used in the headband to me was excessive, too rigid. Definitely not as confortable as the Pro82 over my head. I bought them not only because of Marco's article, who puts them 1st in his ranking, but also based on Zeos' recommendation (here and also mentioned recently here). Their sound does not worth the current US$255 on Amazon. Even my girlfriend who doesn't care too much about hi-fi thought that they were too bassy and lacking in clarity. They are very good looking and the materials are of good quality, but I would also advise you to stay away! :runner:

Zeos's reviews of H6 and HD600 are the reason why I watch him purely for entertainment purposes (Chewbacca!).
He clearly likes "creamy" sound, while I enjoy a transparent sound with natural timbre.
It's important to find a common ground with a reviewer, before taking their recommendations.

Maybe H6 has severe QA issues - that would explain why different people hear it so differently.
But if that's the case, then it's an excellent reason to stay away from such an expensive headphone.
Plus, Innerfidelity measured it exactly how I hear it, and B&O doesn't seem to complain (unlike the recent Audeze/Focal saga with variations in samples).

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #220 of 4,535
However, he praised the Oppo HA-2 far above the Mojo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Don't know yet if I would have agreed with him, since I haven't heard the Mojo.
In his review it's clear that he is bothered by Mojo's high price and he had very high expectations based on online reviews - that's a great recipe for a negative review.
He might have changed his mind if it had the same price as HA-2 and he didn't read any reviews.

Also, DACs sound a lot closer to each other than headphones do.
The difference in sound between a 42$ DAC (HiFimeDIY ES9023) and a 300 DAC (HA-2) is orders of magnitude smaller than the difference between any 2 random headphones.
I'd rather listen to Pro 82 from the HiFimeDIY, than H6 from HA-2.

P.S. Getting my second HA-2 delivered tomorrow!

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #221 of 4,535
Xiao mi World Store has recently posted 3 reviews - all stating that the customers didn't receive their packages and got refunded.
All of them used ePacket, and I see in other items from the same store people reported not receiving ePacket packages as well (not all of them though - some were delivered).
The store itself has over 18000 feedbacks with 95% of them being positive - so the seller looks legit, and ePacket is a great service.
It appears that a shipment got lost between the store and the ePacket processing center.

TakstarAudio Store on the other hand, now has 10 five-star reviews, with everyone receiving their packages safely, including ePacket (including a buyer that bought from both stores - smart!).
They have ePacket to USA now! DHL is usually cheap too - 21-26$ to most countries.
They also have 4 last headphones from the first shipment - buy them now, unless you want to wait an unspecified amount of time for the second one!
Just one of the benefits of being the factory store, I guess.

P.S. I say "4 headphones", but the listing shows 5 without box and 9 with the box. Initially, when they re-stocked, there were 10 of each listed - I assumed they had 10 total, and were willing to sell them with or without box. So now that 6 of them were sold, 4 must be left.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #222 of 4,535
Xiao mi World Store has recently posted 3 reviews - all stating that the customers didn't receive their packages and got refunded.
All of them used ePacket, and I see in other items from the same store people reported not receiving ePacket packages as well (not all of them though - some were delivered).
The store itself has over 18000 feedbacks with 95% of them being positive - so the seller looks legit, and ePacket is a great service.
It appears that a shipment got lost between the store and the ePacket processing center.
I'm one of this poor souls that ordered from this shop.:rage::rage:

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #223 of 4,535
I'm one of this poor souls that ordered from this shop.:rage::rage:
Then you better order from the TakstarAudio Store, while they still have 3 last ones from the first wave. They may have e-Packet to your country, but if not, check DHL pricing - it can go as low as 21$, and delivers worldwide in 3-5 days after receiving the package.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #225 of 4,535
Only available in silver no thanks. I will wait another one or two weeks and ask for a refund. I need to find a black unit.

I actually prefer the silver version - it looks amazing. I only bought the black one because I thought it would make for better comparison pictures with Pro 80.
Other buyers seem to like it too:
upload_2017-7-12_0-41-35.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back