Suggestions for a WARM sounding Portable amp
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
JDS Labs cMoyBB with the POA2227 Opamp[size=small].[/size]

+1

or if you want something a tad bit nicer, I'd strongly suggest JDS c421.  I just got mine in the mail today and am equally impressed.  JDS makes great amps for reasonable prices.  And remember, price doesn't equal superior SQ.  9 times out of 10, a higher price simply means better marketing, not better sounding.  As this is your first portable rig, have fun with it.  My advice, buy a few low to mid priced amps second hand and listen to them.  Really listen to them.  Then, change out the opamps (don't worry, it's easy).  See if you can tell the difference between the amps.  Decide for yourself which one you like the best.

My daily rig was a Sansa Fuze and a JDS cMoyBB, until today, when I replaced the cMoy with the c421.  I also have 4 different IEM's and three different headphones.

The fun in this hobby is the journey, not the destination.  Have fun and enjoy.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

+1

or if you want something a tad bit nicer, I'd strongly suggest JDS c421.  I just got mine in the mail today and am equally impressed.  JDS makes great amps for reasonable prices.  And remember, price doesn't equal superior SQ.  9 times out of 10, a higher price simply means better marketing, not better sounding.  As this is your first portable rig, have fun with it.  My advice, buy a few low to mid priced amps second hand and listen to them.  Really listen to them.  Then, change out the opamps (don't worry, it's easy).  See if you can tell the difference between the amps.  Decide for yourself which one you like the best.

My daily rig was a Sansa Fuze and a JDS cMoyBB, until today, when I replaced the cMoy with the c421.  I also have 4 different IEM's and three different headphones.

The fun in this hobby is the journey, not the destination.  Have fun and enjoy.

+1 on C421, especially with OPA2227. The mids are wonderful

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #18 of 32
The cMoy is a great starting point but I'd certainly love to try out the C421 sometime. Even more I want to try an O2. I really wish JDS Labs would produce a desktop amp too.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #19 of 32
TTVJ for its warm sound AND its form factor!

May 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #20 of 32
Reviving this thread.

I am on the lookout for a very very warm sounding portable amp/dac. I dont have a budget, just want something of quality.

It will be used with Audeze LCD-3 which is my favorite cans.

May 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 32
Reviving this thread.

I am on the lookout for a very very warm sounding portable amp/dac. I dont have a budget, just want something of quality.

It will be used with Audeze LCD-3 which is my favorite cans.

Honestly If your able to wait, I'd get a Hifiman HM 801, I loved mine! Super warm, a LOT of detail and really amazing, I only sold it because it was so warm, and I wanted something... a little leaner... I wound up with my HM 901 which I like.

Sadly though, I'm not 100% up to date on what's current. I'm pretty far behind in the game, but the hm 801 was an PCM1704U R2R dac, which is known for it's organic sound even still today,

Amp wise though I prefer to pair a very clean sounding dac/amp with a tube for warmth. Really you could stack the HM 801 with your portable tube and get some a lot of goey organic warmth

May 20, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 32
Honestly If your able to wait, I'd get a Hifiman HM 801, I loved mine! Super warm, a LOT of detail and really amazing, I only sold it because it was so warm, and I wanted something... a little leaner... I wound up with my HM 901 which I like.

Sadly though, I'm not 100% up to date on what's current. I'm pretty far behind in the game, but the hm 801 was an PCM1704U R2R dac, which is known for it's organic sound even still today,

Amp wise though I prefer to pair a very clean sounding dac/amp with a tube for warmth. Really you could stack the HM 801 with your portable tube and get some a lot of goey organic warmth

Thanks for the suggestions but arent those portable players? I forgot to mention that it will be hooked up to my Macbook

May 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 32
Thanks for the suggestions but arent those portable players? I forgot to mention that it will be hooked up to my Macbook

It is but here's the cool thing! The Classic HM 801 can also function as a USB DAC!!! So it'll do work both by it self and with your mac, isn't that cool, still though I preferred it more as a portable dap/dac, and since you don't need a dap, It might not be worth the investment, still I'd look for something running that classic TI PCM 1704 dac chip,

sadly though, beyound recommending the hm801, I won't be of much help. I usually dislike warm sounding gear, I even run... kinda not warm tubes in my tube amp lol. Still what level of portability are you looking for? I know there's appeal in a single unit, but I might go for a battery powered USB Dac and run your amp separate, to get a better overall quality. I usually prefer a seperate dac/amp with portable gear. An since you need to power an LCD 3 you may find a more powerful solution with two separate units.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #26 of 32
I got the Hugo and the sound to me is pretty straightforward. Too neutral but not a bad sounding amp at ALL! Im just on the look out for something more roundish and blooming.

Anybody has info on the Woo Audio Eclipse?

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 32
How do you think it sounds for a tube amp? Any amps you have compared it to? What do you like/dislike about it?

I bloody love them! However, to be quite honest it doesn't sound like your typical warm tube amp. The WA8 in three tube mode at least, gives a little bit of forwardness and warmth to the mids, makes the lower bass frequencies hit hard and adds a bit of warmth to the rest of the bass, smooths out the treble while reducing them a bit and the makes the sound, overall a very smooth and relaxing experience. In two tube mode, it sounds like a mix of the three tube mode and a solid state amp, great for warmer sounding headphones in my opinion. I think it's a good tube amp but I wouldn't say it can replace your typical warm OTL tube amp. A different flavor to explain it simply. Though I have to say its trans-portability factor is very nice, while I don't actually bring it outside of the house, I use them when I want to sit in the living room on the recliner to relax. The only thing I have to say that I dislike about it is that odd clicking sound whenever you turn it on/off. In three tube mode, when turning on and off, it isn't too bad, not particularly loud so it doesn't bother me but in two tube mode, it's quite loud and can be scary. Also when switching between the tube modes, make sure to turn the device off for a couple of seconds before switching, my brother decided to switch the tube mode while I was listening to them and it nearly blew my ears out.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #30 of 32
I bloody love them! However, to be quite honest it doesn't sound like your typical warm tube amp. The WA8 in three tube mode at least, gives a little bit of forwardness and warmth to the mids, makes the lower bass frequencies hit hard and adds a bit of warmth to the rest of the bass, smooths out the treble while reducing them a bit and the makes the sound, overall a very smooth and relaxing experience. In two tube mode, it sounds like a mix of the three tube mode and a solid state amp, great for warmer sounding headphones in my opinion. I think it's a good tube amp but I wouldn't say it can replace your typical warm OTL tube amp. A different flavor to explain it simply. Though I have to say its trans-portability factor is very nice, while I don't actually bring it outside of the house, I use them when I want to sit in the living room on the recliner to relax. The only thing I have to say that I dislike about it is that odd clicking sound whenever you turn it on/off. In three tube mode, when turning on and off, it isn't too bad, not particularly loud so it doesn't bother me but in two tube mode, it's quite loud and can be scary. Also when switching between the tube modes, make sure to turn the device off for a couple of seconds before switching, my brother decided to switch the tube mode while I was listening to them and it nearly blew my ears out.
Thanks for the info! It is most helpful of you. =) Which phones do you use it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back