Steely Dan's "Aja" being re-released on SACD July 6
Jun 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 21
You know, maybe it was a typo on their part.  Maybe they meant $38?  I can't see them selling too many at that price.  Unless it was an extremely limited run and they put a lot of money into the mastering, I can't see why the price would be so high.  But as you guys know, Donald Fagen has some of the best sounding albums on the planet.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 21
Well CDs are a lot more expensive to start with in Japan. A standard album will cost 2500-3500 Yen (That's around $30-40 USD). SHM-CDs would cost even more so I guess if you put it in this context, the 4500 Yen for a SHM-SACD is not THAT expensive!

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but there will also be a SHM-SACD release of Black Sabbath's Paranoid for the same price in August.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 21
Thats better - though its still alot! The total with the cheapest shipping to the US is $52.77

Also, i've heard just about every remaster of Aja, even the Cisco one, and I think we could still squeeze a bit more fidelity from those masters. What i'm worried about is what they are sourcing these from - possibly second / third gen copies of the masters? Very possibly, I don't know the state of the original masters but they would be rather old by now. I'm crossing my fingers they didn't screw this one up. sp70.

Quote:
There are other places to buy import cds than amazon. cdjapan has it for US$47.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UIGY-9026

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #19 of 21
Here are the other SHM-SACD coming out on July 6.  There are LOTS of great titles here!

At Fillmore East (Allman Brothers Band) $83.98
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (Derek & The Dominos) $83.98
Synchronicity (The Police) $83.98
Who's Next (The Who) $83.98
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra/Dance (Georg Solti) $77.49
Velvet Underground & Nico (Velvet Underground) $83.98
Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 'organ' (Daniel Barenboim) $77.49
Liszt: Sonata in B Minor (Claudio Arrau) $77.49
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem (Herbert Von Karajan) $77.49
J.S. Bach: Orchestral Suites No. 1 & 2 (Karl Richter) $77.49
Ella & Louis (Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong) $83.98
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (Moody Blues) $83.98
What's Going On (Marvin Gaye) $83.98
Love Supreme (John Coltrane) $83.98
461 Ocean Boulevard (Eric Clapton) $83.98
Sarah Vaughan (Sarah Vaughan) $83.98
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman (John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman) $83.98
Getz/Gilberto (Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto) $83.98

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_srsubj_entry?ie=UTF8&index=music&field-keywords=Import-Jpn%2FShm-Sacd

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 21
Amazon is a total rip-off for imports.  I didn't realize at first that is what we were talking about.

I've bought a fair number of Japanese import CD's, but I also buy them from a few select Japanese EBay sellers, not from Amazon.  Prices have ranged from $24 to about $50 depending on title. I looked on EBay but this is not available yet even in Japan it would seem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back