Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #106 of 1,163
Seal mod, need sharp scissors.....:xf_eek: a bit ugly but pumps the air well now (stock pads) :D
microbubble foam, rubbery feel
just cut one triangle and put sidewise into groove. Not glue bottom

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #107 of 1,163
Ok, I am back from the Stax dealer. I had my listening session with the L700 for two hours in very good quiet conditions (a speakers listening room with the door close). 

The source was a Moonaudio CD player NEO 260D with DAC. Cables were apparently high end too...
I tried the L700 and the 207 on the SRM-252s and then changed for the SRM-006ts (that was the only other Stax amp available).

First conclusion : the L700 are much more confortable than the SR-207. Pads are buttery soft and the new adjustment system is more practical to keep the good adjustment. With the synthetic 207's pads I start to sweat after a certain uninterrupted time of listening. That didn't happen with the L700. Weight feeling is about the same (I din't check the weight of each unit...). No farts on the L700. I wear glasses and the seal was better with the L700 (remember, buttery soft pads...)

Second conclusion : the SRM-252s is more than capable of driving both headphones! Volume was at 10/11 am for both headphones and the music was loud enough for me. At 12, it started to be too loud for my pleasure, with the SR-207 or the SR-L700. 

Third conclusion : I didn't hear (emphasis on "I") any differences between the SRM-252s and the SRM-006ts, both with the 207 or the L700. I don't pretend that there are no differences, I am just saying that I didn't hear any!

Fourth conclusion : the L700 are (for me) better than the SR-207. Everything was better in my opinion... Bass, sub-bass, imaging, soundstage, etc... How much better? I would say by 15/20% (if that makes any sense to estimate the differences by a %). Which mean, nothing to rationnaly (BUT, is there anything rationale in that hobby??) justify 3x the price difference! 

I think that the SR-207 are a real bargain at their price! With the SRM-252s you have a killer system. I also think that the L700 are also a bargain BUT you have to compare them to the "high end" models (SR-007/SR-009). In that league, they have the best Q/P ratio. 

I had the SR-007MK1 with the SRM-717 for more than 10 years (my only system for a long time) so I think I can give my appreciation (not to compare, since I didn't had the two headphones at the same time) between the L700 and the SR-007. I think that the differences between the SR-007 and L700 are lower that 10%.

Now, I am debating if a 15/20% differences can justify the price difference for me... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #109 of 1,163

​Hi there, it is the multibit modi 2, it works quite well with the 252s in my opinion. Looks kinda match too haha.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #112 of 1,163
Tried the 3100 system about a week ago and despite my very major hesitations with the build and the price, I think I now have a worthy end-game. The L300 definitely isn't what I'd call my traditional preference, but the precision in imaging and sense of speed really was, for lack of a better word, magic. Tried the L500 too, and though also impressive, don't personally feel it's as good of a value as the L300. Didn't dare touch the L700.

Just two questions for those willing to answer:
1) I live in Singapore, a very hot and humid tropical island. Any tips on storing headphones? Was thinking of fashioning a fancy leather case if I ever got an electrostatic headphone (or just buying a plastic case will also do I guess). How do you other Stax owners safely store your electrostatic headphones?
2) Have heard here and there that people have been able to fit traditional headphone pads from the likes of Brainwavz and ZMF onto the L300, but when I felt the size of the headphones, I couldn't really fathom how something so small could wrap around something so large (laugh away at the implied innuendo). I'm vision impaired, so looking at images would be rather impossible, which is why I'm asking if anyone could give me a written description on how that's been done?

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #113 of 1,163
I purchased the STAX sytem from japan and im planning to use it in my country India. The Wallwart provided for the system does not match my country 220-240v AC @50Hz current. I am planning to purchase https://www.amazon.com/Audio-iPower-Adapter-International-Travel/dp/B01LZD8SHJ this Adapter which comes with a polarity inverter.

I just wanna check will it work ?
I dont wanna risk blowing the  fuse.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #114 of 1,163
Stax drivers are covered with protect foils - both sides.. No way anything could go inside drivers...
Let´s put this strawman to rest !

Drivers are assembled in dust free enviroment, don´t open them
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=28326

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #116 of 1,163

Just two questions for those willing to answer:
1) I live in Singapore, a very hot and humid tropical island. Any tips on storing headphones? Was thinking of fashioning a fancy leather case if I ever got an electrostatic headphone (or just buying a plastic case will also do I guess). How do you other Stax owners safely store your electrostatic headphones?

It is like storing a camera lens, if you store it in an enclosed space you need silica gel or something similar to absorb moisture and avoid condensation, and remember that the silica gel will eventually saturate, and you will have to put it in the oven to dry again. For normal use I would put it over an inverted T stand made of wood (not varnished) and with a fabric cover on top, something that allows the air to flow and keeps the dust out.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #117 of 1,163
  It is like storing a camera lens, if you store it in an enclosed space you need silica gel or something similar to absorb moisture and avoid condensation, and remember that the silica gel will eventually saturate, and you will have to put it in the oven to dry again. For normal use I would put it over an inverted T stand made of wood (not varnished) and with a fabric cover on top, something that allows the air to flow and keeps the dust out.

Thank you for such a detailed answer, I've taken note.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #118 of 1,163
ordered SiC 1700v fets, i´ll make some SS stax amp. damn 70€
semiconductor triode wiring, borrowing ecc83 driver from my stax tube amp..
let´s see...:D it should be very affordable and simple

May 2, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #119 of 1,163
Has anyone had experience with the Koss ESP-950? How does it compare to the L-300s?
Yes, I purchased a set of ESP-950's and owned them for less than a week! My review is posted over on Amazon at this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000056ULH#R1P98M2GQK9KOM

In a nutshell, the 950's were rolled off at the extremes... most notably the highs. I've owned the L-300's for a couple months now and they are much much flatter (in the best possible way). The build quality is about the same for both sets until you compare the amps! The SRM-252S driver unit has a metal chassis and the level control has a quality feel. In contrast, the Koss driver unit is all plastic with a split volume control. Why? I guess they expect a channel imbalance.. not sure. All I know is that it was a bit tricky adjusting the volume as you had to grip it just right to turn both knobs at the same time.

I can't comment on Stax support (specifically) but the dealer (Mike at Woo Audio in NYC) was very helpful. Woo Audio doesn't normally stock the SRS-3100 kit but they special ordered it for me and it arrived in 15 days.. just 1 day longer than expected.

By contrast, I called Koss to see if maybe I had a defective amp or something... customer service directed me to their website to submit a form, telling me tech support was not available via phone. Anyway, I never got a response. I did, however, start getting marketing emails from Koss! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back