Soundmagic E80C + LG V20 = Problem?
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

anonymanas

New Head-Fier
I got myself a pair of Soundmagic E80Cs (essentially to trigger the 'high impedance mode' on my phone) and honestly they sound amazing. Or they did, for a while. I played If There Is Something - Roxy Music and almost a little before the saxophone (?) absolutely peaks, the highs on my left earbud turned into a short-lived beep. This problem I noticed at random sections in other songs, too, where the highs get shrill. It's momentary, but enough to annoy me.

There are also sections in the song where the bass just sounds off. Unlike the 'beep' I'm finding it very hard to describe this problem. It just sounds like the bass almost crackles, but not exactly a crackle.

I'm confused because the problem goes away when I turn off the Hi-Fi DAC mode (or if I don't max out the volume with the Hi Fi DAC on). But of course, I don't want to use these earphones with that mode off or on limited volume. So where is the problem?

Is it the dac/amp?
Is it the earphones?
Or is it the quality of the audio files? (I used 320 kbps files off Apple Music)

(And if it's any of these, what do I do?)

I wondered if it's related to the player itself, because I'd read that not all players utilise the DAC. So I tried playing an mp3 file off LG's default music player. Now this audio file is definitely lower than 320 kbps, and at some point the 'beep' problem resurfaced. But it shouldn't be about the quality of the audio files right? I mean, I can do my best to get high quality audio whenever I can, but I shouldn't strictly be restricted to it, right?

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Too confused. Just want to enjoy music on my new earphones but this is just eating me.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Glad to hear you got this problem resolved. I am just working through posts about the Soundmagic E80C's as I have just purchased a pair to go with my cowon P D2.
How have you got on with your Soundmagic E80C's over the last few years since your original post ? Thanks in advance

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 7
For an IEM that came out 4 years ago the e80 has actually aged very well. It's still a nicely balanced, mature-sounding earphone that is great for multi genres and well worth the money. Build wise the cable isn't the greatest but if you keep them safe and treat them well they'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back