Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #7,996 of 9,173
Great! I've noticed that the majority of USB cables come with either Mini or B connectors. Micro connectors don't appear, from what I've seen, to be as commonly available compared to other connectors.

On a side note, Kimber Axios looks nice. Probably a warm sounding cable given the copper content?
Yes, Cinnamon is the best micro USB Audioquest makes. I wanted their DBS system top of the line cables but settled for the Cinnamon. And yes, my axios is the copper one, warm sounding, very nice. I am however thinking of upgrading it to either Hybrid/WW platinum silver within a week

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #7,997 of 9,173

Hey there- as a user of a number of Walkmans, I can tell you that's a problem most likely from your source, the E series Walkman, rather than the Z7. The Z7 does have the problem of muddy bass, but the E series Walkman is more likely the bigger contributing problem. An amp will NOT solve that- it will only enhance the problem. I currently use the PHA-2 amp with my Z7s. 

I have the Walkman X, Z, E and a bunch of their NW- series (HD5, A3000), and I never use the E series for listening because of its sound. Its better for you to invest in a better source like a different DAP first before an amp IMHO. 

Quote:
Sony put a lot of design effort into this player. It is the 35th Anniversary of Walkman Edition. And it pays off as I use it day after day without any hickups.

I just bought a new NWZ-ZX1 from ebay for around €275,-!
I think this will be an upgrade in terms of usability (128gb, dedicated buttons) and sound quality of my old E585. It only hasn't the infinite battery life lol. I also saw briefly a ZX100 for €399,- on amazon.de, but it doesn't look as pretty and at that price, it's a shame they removed the dedicated buttons...

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #7,998 of 9,173
I just bought a new NWZ-ZX1 from ebay for around €275,-!
I think this will be an upgrade in terms of usability (128gb, dedicated buttons) and sound quality of my old E585. It only hasn't the infinite battery life lol. I also saw briefly a ZX100 for €399,- on amazon.de, but it doesn't look as pretty and at that price, it's a shame they removed the dedicated buttons...

If you don't need eq and other sound strings, you can turn off the sound optimisation in apps. That will decrease the power consumption by a large margin and increase the volume. It will not uncap the player if it is an EU capped unit, but it will be a good bit louder.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #8,000 of 9,173
My order got cancelled 
mad.gif
. I was soo happy!. Too good to be true I guess. Maybe I'll find a non-eu version instead. Sorry for being off-topic.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #8,001 of 9,173
My order got cancelled :mad: . I was soo happy!. Too good to be true I guess. Maybe I'll find a non-eu version instead. Sorry for being off-topic.

The ZX100 has dedicated buttons btw. It has no touchscreen. The metal piece on the front under the screen is a 4 way navigator like on my old NWZ-A845. It only looks different.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #8,002 of 9,173
The ZX100 has dedicated buttons btw. It has no touchscreen. The metal piece on the front under the screen is a 4 way navigator like on my old NWZ-A845. It only looks different.

I meant the play/pause, next, previous buttons on the side. With dedicated, I mean they have one function.
Anyway, I've now finally ordered a PHA-3ac. It's not portable (hence the ac designation), but I think I can live with that.
I could have bought an new PHA-1a, but a second hand PHA-3ac was only €150,- more expensive. A second hand PHA-2/1a from outside europe (import duties, I live in the Netherlands) would drive up the price towards a PHA-3ac also, so...

I'll use my macbook as a source, with the Sony 'Hi-Res Audio Player'. It would be cool if Sony had made a digital only version of their walkman for the PHA-3.

Now I'll only hope it gives an audible improvement lol 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #8,003 of 9,173
I meant the play/pause, next, previous buttons on the side. With dedicated, I mean they have one function.
Anyway, I've now finally ordered a PHA-3ac. It's not portable (hence the ac designation), but I think I can live with that.
I could have bought an new PHA-1a, but a second hand PHA-3ac was only €150,- more expensive. A second hand PHA-2/1a from outside europe (import duties, I live in the Netherlands) would drive up the price towards a PHA-3ac also, so...

I'll use my macbook as a source, with the Sony 'Hi-Res Audio Player'. It would be cool if Sony had made a digital only version of their walkman for the PHA-3.

Now I'll only hope it gives an audible improvement lol :)  

As I just updated from the ZX1 to the WM1A I think about selling the ZX1 or not. If you are interested please pm me.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #8,004 of 9,173
I'm now listening to my PHA-3. First impressions, all bass problems (bleeding, distortion) seem to be gone, and I got a bunch of extra details too. I don't think I can listen to my E585 again, I'm spoiled :).

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #8,006 of 9,173
I love my Z7 with PHA-3. I will soon add a custom balanced cable and also compare to my PHA-1.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #8,007 of 9,173
Both XBA-Z6 and MDR-Z7 sound damn good with a proper source such as the WM1x walkmans (in both SE and balance circuits)

May 15, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #8,008 of 9,173
First got my MDR-1R and tought they were the best sounding phones out there... until i got the XBA-A3.... these babies demonstrated the lack of bass (some say the 1R have strong bass, well for me, that is not true, got some anemic sounding phones)
lol your like me (a bit of a bass head) :D but yea their bass is a little lacking in quantity but it does sound really well controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back