Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,142 of 5,804
lesale08

How loud you listen with headphones z5?
All sound enhancements off The volume is around 60 or 65% of the slider. With clearaudio I tend to lower it a notch since it's like having an additional volume and bass gain.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,144 of 5,804
I'm sorry I can't seem to find an option to search inside the thread, anyone here using the z5 with a pixel XL?

I sold my se535, and now I'm planning on getting the z5. I have a cayin C5 with me for sale, I'm trying to figure out if I should sell it or keep it for the z5 :)

I'm trying to get rid of the bulk and create something portable for everyday metro commute :)

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #4,145 of 5,804
I'm sorry I can't seem to find an option to search inside the thread, anyone here using the z5 with a pixel XL?

I sold my se535, and now I'm planning on getting the z5. I have a cayin C5 with me for sale, I'm trying to figure out if I should sell it or keep it for the z5 :)

I'm trying to get rid of the bulk and create something portable for everyday metro commute :)

While the Z5 is great, it does need some power to drive properly. If you want ot save weight, maybe a Fiio A3 which weight 1/2 of the C5. Do not try to drive it from a phone. If you absolutely does not want an AMP, maybe the XBA-N3 would be a good alternate as it's much easier to drive.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #4,146 of 5,804
I'm actually getting the z5 at a really good price, almost close to the price of A3, after trying them in store I liked the z5 little bit more, maybe it's me... But the z5 felt lot more wider in soundstage (I'm a sucker for big soundstage). Guess I'll get it anyway and live with an amp.

About the bulk... How about those mini fiio amps? A1 or the K1?

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,147 of 5,804
I'm actually getting the z5 at a really good price, almost close to the price of A3, after trying them in store I liked the z5 little bit more, maybe it's me... But the z5 felt lot more wider in soundstage (I'm a sucker for big soundstage). Guess I'll get it anyway and live with an amp.

About the bulk... How about those mini fiio amps? A1 or the K1?

Yea, the Z5 have one of the widest soundstage I've heard on any IEM but you can't drive it without an amp. That's why I use the N3 while on the go and the A3 with a Teac HA-P50 at the office and the Z5 with a HPA-2A at home. Ideally, you want something with at least 75mW/ch @ 32 ohms so you'll need the Fiio A3 at least, the A1 just doesn't cut it. I've tried in with my iPhone 6+ and there's a big difference between using just the phone and the phone through an amp.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #4,148 of 5,804
Yea, the Z5 have one of the widest soundstage I've heard on any IEM but you can't drive it without an amp. That's why I use the N3 while on the go and the A3 with a Teac HA-P50 at the office and the Z5 with a HPA-2A at home. Ideally, you want something with at least 75mW/ch @ 32 ohms so you'll need the Fiio A3 at least, the A1 just doesn't cut it. I've tried in with my iPhone 6+ and there's a big difference between using just the phone and the phone through an amp.

The Sony WM line players drive the Z5 perfectly with excellent synergy. Players released in the past year (especially with balanced output) should have packed enough juice for them so an amp is no longer a must. Do agree they are pretty power hungry tho, as the huge dynamic driver would spurt out some wooly bass if underpowered.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #4,149 of 5,804
The Sony WM line players drive the Z5 perfectly with excellent synergy. Players released in the past year (especially with balanced output) should have packed enough juice for them so an amp is no longer a must. Do agree they are pretty power hungry tho, as the huge dynamic driver would spurt out some wooly bass if underpowered.

I only use the Z5 at home with a PHA-2A. Just modded a Sony MUC-M12SM1 cable with a 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced jack and things seems to be working fine. Not going to carry a 10oz player in addition to a phone, that's why I got the NW-A35 and a set of XBA-N3 for while I'm out and about.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #4,150 of 5,804
- Novice Hifi casual enthusiast

Just purchased the Kimber Kable upgrades.
I've owned the Z5's since shortly after they were released (No 8195) and the stock cables are finally starting to go after ~5 hours of usage each day. They still sound beautiful but the plastic covers broke revealing adhesives.

Any positive experiences with the kimber kables?

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #4,151 of 5,804
The Z5's were also my first foray into higher end gear after having used the Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 in highschool / college (prior to that was Walmart / Other cheap disposables).

I can't imagine anything sounding better. I went to B&H over the weekend and tried several nicer headphones like the SE 600 on a AMP / DAC setup which sounded significantly smaller compared to the Z5s + dragonfly red.
However, since I'm dipping back into the HiFI world with a larger wallet - are there any IEMs that are generally considered as the next step above the Z5s? (ex: Noble Kaiser - Katana / Traluscents / etc.)

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,152 of 5,804
The Z5's were also my first foray into higher end gear after having used the Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 in highschool / college (prior to that was Walmart / Other cheap disposables).

I can't imagine anything sounding better. I went to B&H over the weekend and tried several nicer headphones like the SE 600 on a AMP / DAC setup which sounded significantly smaller compared to the Z5s + dragonfly red.
However, since I'm dipping back into the HiFI world with a larger wallet - are there any IEMs that are generally considered as the next step above the Z5s? (ex: Noble Kaiser - Katana / Traluscents / etc.)

I've followed a similar path in IEM progression. Klipsch S4>TripleFi 5 Pro>TripleFi10>A3>Z5

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4,153 of 5,804
- Novice Hifi casual enthusiast

Just purchased the Kimber Kable upgrades.
I've owned the Z5's since shortly after they were released (No 8195) and the stock cables are finally starting to go after ~5 hours of usage each day. They still sound beautiful but the plastic covers broke revealing adhesives.

Any positive experiences with the kimber kables?

Which Kimber did you get? I'm using the Sony upgrade cable MUC-M12SM1 & MUC-M12SM2. I was using the MUC-M12SM2 for a while and it was great, very little microphonics and it brought the mid a bit more forward with improved detail. Then I got a PHA-2A and want to try balanced mode, I thought about getting the Sony/Kimber balanced cable but ended up just getting a Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced jack for MUC-M12SM1 (fairly simple DIY but need good soldering skills).

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #4,154 of 5,804

Are you investing in 24bit or DSD music? If so, a dedicated DAP like the Sony NW-WM1A running balanced mode would be nice if you're on the go or get a DAC/AMP that support balanced mode like the Sony PHA-2A.if you use it mostly at home.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4,155 of 5,804
Just ordered some MDR-EX1000. Figured I'd try something different after my disastrous experience with the Z5 "purchase". Hope it goes a lot better this time.
Still curious about the two will compare, but I'm postponing the hybrid experience for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back