Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #31 of 9,631
"Bass heavy". Try the supposedly designed for studio monitoring neutral Beyer DT1770......then you will see bass heavy.
I had the DT1770 for a long time. It did not get much use after first repurchasing the Z7 and later the Z1r. From memory I think they are not overly bassy, only ok in that register. I repurchased the Z7 because they get me to the soul of the music and this goes to a ever higher extent for the Z1r. The Beyer is good but a bit boring in that regards.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #33 of 9,631
I still enjoy the DT1770, but obviously Z1R, top to bottom is more complete.
I sold mine, the Z7 / Z1r replaced it completely for me.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #34 of 9,631
I have been spending the last few months in audio nirvana listening to both the Utopia's and the Z1R through the Sony WM1Z and i enjoy both headphones immensely. Are the Z1R's as revealing and tonally accurate (whatever that means) as the Utopias? No, but they are every bit as enjoyable to me. I love the sound signature and can listen to them for hours on end. Having also owned the LCD-XC i can definitely say that, for me, the Z1R's are significantly more comfortable and to my ears 'more musical' compared to the XC.

FYI - I mainly listen to Pearl Jam, Steven Wilson, Blackfield and Porcupine Tree

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #35 of 9,631
I don't find the Z1R bass heavy at all, but I suppose it depends on which bass frequencies you are talking about and what you are comparing it with.

How about some smooth jazz, rendered beautifully by the Z1R. Bass heavy? Not to my ears.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 9,631
[QUOTE="buzzlulu, post: 13558599, member: 8394"
The build quality, construction and comfort, imho, is off the charts. I found the Z1R's to be more comfortable than my Utopia's.[/QUOTE]

Welcome back @buzzlulu. Been a long time, those were the days of the HD600, R10 and so on.

Anyway, regardless of all the talk about the Z1R and about liking them or not liking them, I think you hit a spot that - to me at least - is not subjective and totally something the Sony team should be proud of: After many years in the hobby, this is a model that feels exceptionally well built. Materials and assembly, overall presentation, the function-over-form design with no useless elements, the comfort that is now the baseline for closed cans - and many open cans.

Yup. At least when the sound is turned off, I think many of us truly find these cans exceptional.

When you turn up the volume, well, that's a topic worth more discussion.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 9,631
I have been spending the last few months in audio nirvana listening to both the Utopia's and the Z1R through the Sony WM1Z and i enjoy both headphones immensely.

Are you using the stock balanced cable with the Z1R's or something different?

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #38 of 9,631
Are you using the stock balanced cable with the Z1R's or something different?

I use the Sony Kimber kable with the balanced connector on the Z1R's and i have the Beat Audio 'Signal' cable with the Pentacon 4.4mm connector on the Utopia's

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #39 of 9,631
I have been spending the last few months in audio nirvana listening to both the Utopia's and the Z1R through the Sony WM1Z and i enjoy both headphones immensely. Are the Z1R's as revealing and tonally accurate (whatever that means) as the Utopias? No, but they are every bit as enjoyable to me. I love the sound signature and can listen to them for hours on end. Having also owned the LCD-XC i can definitely say that, for me, the Z1R's are significantly more comfortable and to my ears 'more musical' compared to the XC.

FYI - I mainly listen to Pearl Jam, Steven Wilson, Blackfield and Porcupine Tree
Pearl Jam, Steven Wilson and Porcupine tree. That's what I'm talking about!! Sounds excellent on the Z1R. Enjoyable and great detail is the name of the game for me with these headphones. Long listening sessions as well.... I can only do dead neutral for so long, but these have such staying power for their sound signature.

Something that seems to be under rated in these "threads" (both Z1R threads ha) is that the weight distribution is excellent in my opinion.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #40 of 9,631
The Z1R arrived and I am going to try it with its own cable as well as a Moon Audio Silver Dragon and the Dana cable, which I originally purchased for my McIntosh MHP1000. I'll spend a few days getting reacquainted.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #41 of 9,631
I sold mine, the Z7 / Z1r replaced it completely for me.
I'd just hate to sell them. They are a good mobile can too.
The Z1R arrived and I am going to try it with its own cable as well as a Moon Audio Silver Dragon and the Dana cable, which I originally purchased for my McIntosh MHP1000. I'll spend a few days getting reacquainted.
How are the McIntosh cans?

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 9,631
I'd just hate to sell them. They are a good mobile can too.

How are the McIntosh cans?
They are perhaps the most detailed headphones (inner detail) I've heard, but they avoid brightness and sharp peaks and stay fairly balanced across the spectrum. Bass, mid and top seem to be of equal proportions. There's a very slight mellowness with the stock cable, it opens up with the Dana.

Why do I feel like I'm going to regret posting that....

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #43 of 9,631
They are perhaps the most detailed headphones (inner detail) I've heard, but they avoid brightness and sharp peaks and stay fairly balanced across the spectrum. Bass, mid and top seem to be of equal proportions. There's a very slight mellowness with the stock cable, it opens up with the Dana.

Where's Tyll's review???!!!!

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #44 of 9,631

Aren't the McIntosh's essentially Tesla Beyers that are custom tuned and made for McIntosh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back