Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Sep 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 407

elektron

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone been following the release of the Z5 (including the Compact and the new Premium variant) phone range?

Looks more like a Z3++ (the Z3+ aka Z4 didn't get a global release) than a brand new generation, although the improvements are all very worthwhile including the flapless micro-USB port, improved camera hardware and software, as well as the fingerprint scanner on the power button, which is a much more practical implementation of this feature than on the iPhone.  And, of course, the polarising Snapdragon 810.

More importantly, in terms of audio, no to S-Master, yes to LDAC - both as expected.  Would be interesting to know whether there's been an upgrade (or downgrade) to the DAC(s).  

Interestingly, I've read that the Z4/Z3+ didn't sound as good as the Z3.  I've got my mind set on the Z5C, so really hope this is not a trend.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 407
Isn't 810 inside Z3+ ? Also, any Snap Dragon shall have similar DAC as integrated. The only thing I see so far that use two additional TFA9890 DAC is Z3 (Nexus 4) family.....it is just because each of the 9890 is a mono DAC and amplifier itself

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 407
Isn't 810 inside Z3+ ? Also, any Snap Dragon shall have similar DAC as integrated. The only thing I see so far that use two additional TFA9890 DAC is Z3 (Nexus 4) family.....it is just because each of the 9890 is a mono DAC and amplifier itself

And that's not a good thing as far as I'm concerned, since the Z3+ with the same processor / integrated DAC is allegedly a downgrade in terms of audio quality. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 407
  Well we have to wait until some teardown appears on net

What's there to tear down if the Snapdragon 810 is now a relatively known entity with an allegedly mediocre integrated DAC?  Sounds like a step down from the superior dual DAC in the Z3.

BTW sony also announced a Digital Noise cancelling earphones which are hi res according to them
maybe SD810 of z5 has DAC chips? 

Sony's had digital noise cancelling IEMs for some time.  The MDR-NC31 were even given away with the Z3 as a promotion in some markets. They were surprisingly effective at noise cancelling and sounded good too, representing excellent value at their price point.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 407
Yes! It seems Sony split portable music devices and mobile phones to different divisions. Z3 may be the last one of their line to sound adequately good.

Or possibly even the last exciting phone (regardless of the brand) for audio enthusiasts!

Sony have probably realised that besides the small size of this market, spending the extra money on making a phone sound great is counter-productive as it would compete with their own DAPs.  I wonder how many people who were considering purchasing a DAP decided against it after getting a Z3?

I just wish the Z3 had LDAC, as it would make it really easy to justify getting one for those of us who have been patiently waiting for the Z5 just to realise that it's not a worthy successor.

Audio quality aside, the Z5C will again easily be the best sub-5" phone on the market.  I'd even go as far as saying that its only competition is still the Z3C.  

The Z5 will also be great, but there's a lot more competition in this market segment.  As far as the Premium variant is concerned, I'm of the school of thought that the 4k resolution on a phone (even a 5.5" one - after all, a human eye can only discern 300 ppi and we're talking 800+ ppi here; talk about a gimmick!) is ridiculous and, in theory, its benchmarks should be quite a bit slower than the Z5 Compact's.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 407
The Z5 will also be great, but there's a lot more competition in this market segment.  As far as the Premium variant is concerned, I'm of the school of thought that the 4k resolution on a phone (even a 5.5"one - after all, a human eye can only discern 300 ppi and we're talking 800+ ppi here; talk about a gimmick!) is ridiculous and, in theory, its benchmarks should be quite a bit slower than the Z5 Compact's.
True, but the gadget geek in me is lusting after that screen...

I have a 4K tv, an above 4K monitor for my PC, 3200x1800 on my laptop... its all about the pixels for me...

If it sounds "ok" then it'll be a good backup for the QP1R / Vorzuge Pure II+ that I'm running...

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 407
True, but the gadget geek in me is lusting after that screen...

I have a 4K tv, an above 4K monitor for my PC, 3200x1800 on my laptop... its all about the pixels for me...

If it sounds "ok" then it'll be a good backup for the QP1R / Vorzuge Pure II+ that I'm running...

Having 4k on your TV, monitor & laptop is not unreasonable (although I'm putting off getting a 4k TV due to limited availability of 4k content and I'm not sold on upconversion), especially if you do some sort of graphics design / photography type of work.

However, this is a display slightly bigger than your hand.  I'm talking about a visual equivalent of a 1 Hz -1,000,000 kHz frequency range.

Besides, being a gadget geek, as indeed most of us are, I would have thought that you'd also want the fastest performance from your shiny new flagship smartphone - and the Z5 Premium ain't it.  

Anyway, I would prefer to focus this thread on the discussion (or speculation, at least for the time being) about the audio quality of the Z5 range.  Speaking of which, given the DAP equipment at your disposal you may be disappointed by this phone's SQ.  Hopefully, you'll be able to test it in-store in a couple of months or less.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 407
Yes, in my phone arsenal I have the Galaxy S6 Edge, the M9 and the iPhone 6+ so plenty to compare against...

I cannot really justify three (let alone four!) handsets, so will be a case of survival of the fittest...

I feel that the S6 is the weak link in my chain right now, so looking forward to those demos (UK RRP on the Z5P is £700, so higher than the Apple equivalent price!)

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 407
Yes, in my phone arsenal I have the Galaxy S6 Edge, the M9 and the iPhone 6+ so plenty to compare against...

I cannot really justify three (let alone four!) handsets, so will be a case of survival of the fittest...
I feel that the S6 is the weak link in my chain right now, so looking forward to those demos (UK RRP on the Z5P is £700, so higher than the Apple equivalent price!)

I'm surprised you didn't snap up a Z3 as part of your arsenal since it's arguably superior to all of these in SQ.  You could probably get the Compact variant at half price (or less) than the S6 Edge.  Yes, it's only 720p but the same internals as its big brother.

(UK RRP on the Z5P is £700, so higher than the Apple equivalent price!)

Equivalent in which regard?  Screen size?  Perhaps.  However, definitely inferior on all other specs - from pixel density to the camera, from the processor to the RAM.  Not to mention the water (and dust) proofing.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 407
Okay, so spin it a different way, apple is now going to struggle to remain in the UK looking like ultimate premium (going by price alone)

Re the Z3+ yes, it did pique my interest, won't deny, especially with the Tidal tie in that was promoted in the UK, but the imminent launch of the Z5 would've devalued my purchase almost overnight, so held back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back