Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
May 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #346 of 2,298
i just bought the n3.

I a/b against n1 for more than an hour and these are my findings :

1) the n1 has more subbass than the N1. The N1 has a similar subbass but more xb90ex like, more like the old xbs , feels slower and kicks lower. Im taking about around 20-70hz. Then N1 feels completely similar as generally a bass sound BUT, The n3 beat has more impact ( at least 10-20% more impact ) and sounds at least 10-20% deeper.

At this point I'm like *** it, I m not paying 100euro more for 20% better bass since the phones sounded VERY similar.

At this point, I decide to do a last a/b using opeth ( black/death metal flacs ) . I put bleak song and I a/b the drums, same thing, n1 bass is a bit sweeter and doesnt go as low as the n3. But then I hear the electric guitars and n1 sounds very grainy. I a/b again and again to make sure. Yes the n3 sounds clearer. I think the n1 tries to hide its problems with a more fun sound but the n3 is technically ( and sonically for me ) the better phone.

The subbass of the n1 is very similar but if you pay attention to detail the subbass of n3 is MUCH better and real. Kick drum in metal sounds more realistic with more impact.

I dont know why some people n1 sounds bassier ?!

At this point, I buy the n3 for 240euro and I leave the store with a smile on my face.

Bye bye fidelio s2 , bye bye xb90ex. :)

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #347 of 2,298
People think N1 is bassier because it has more mid-bass. N3 has the deeper, higher quality bass. That LCP driver in N3 is indeed something else.

May 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #348 of 2,298
The N3's Brass vs N1's Plastic nozzle is largely responsible for the clearer mid and high on the N3. It also gives the N3 a bigger soundstage. It's actually not that the N1 have more mid bass, it's the N1 having less mid.high at the same volume level. Trying playing music through a plastic pipe, you'll lose mid/high vs a metal pipe as plastic tends to absorb mid/high frequency while metal tend to absorb lows.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #349 of 2,298
Yes I agree the LPC driver is better, you can hear the difference, I dont like N1 subbass, is very common, n3 is special. I mean I am a basshead so even a 10% difference in the bass, its a deciding factor for me to pick a phone over another.

Both N1 and N3 has the very very good sealing and placement compared to almost all iems Ive ever tried. They feel they can never get out of my ear, its incredible. Compared to xb90ex for example,it's ridiculously good,makes you smile.

I didnt think the soundstage was any bigger on the n3 than n1, but if you mean by less grainy mids you get a better perception of the soundstage then yes I agree but it didnt feel particularly wider or bigger to me but the grainy mids were very very aparent to me. I almost hated them.

I also agree 100% the N1 doesnt have more midbass , I know its all relative to the frequency spectrum but when I a/b n1 vs n3 , I dont get more boomy bass, just overall lower volume/lower kick 20-80hz. So with the same source you WONT get more sub OR midbass with the N1 . You will get same midbass , lower sub-bass and grainier upmids (4-6khz ? ). I am not sure if thte upper mids sounded more elevated or lower in the N1 but for sure they were grainier/different character, I didnt care to pay more attention lol I bought the N3 and left the store at the point.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #351 of 2,298
Will receive mine on monday, big expectations...

Anyone using the bt adapter with these? Does it justify the price?

Are we talking about the MUC-M2BT1? What kind of setup and music format are you using? I'm using a NW-A35 with a pair of XBA-N3 attached to the MUC-M2BT1 while I'm on the go and it's great. LDAC really makes a difference with Hi-Res music in 24bit 48/96, DSD,etc since BT doesn't have the bandwidth to handle them normally. I've post some experience on this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sony-muc-m1bt1.801787/#post-13067898

May 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #352 of 2,298
Ill be using my mobile as source (huawei p10), it does handle high res music but not LDAC yet (though heard sony will release LDAC for all in next android rls). As for the music, its spotify, so no high res.

May 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #353 of 2,298
Ill be using my mobile as source (huawei p10), it does handle high res music but not LDAC yet (though heard sony will release LDAC for all in next android rls). As for the music, its spotify, so no high res.

OK, so you won't be able to take advantage of LDAC (at least for a while). The unit itself is great, easy to wear, you hardly feel it around your neck and battery will last a decent amount of time. You just have to decide if the extra cost is worth it to go wire free. I don't know where you live but I got mine shipped to the U.S. via Amazon Japan for 18000 yen. seem price have gone up a bit since but you can still get one shipped for under 19000 yen. Best price on ebay with free shipping is US$177 so pretty close and may be the simplest way to go.

May 28, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #354 of 2,298
I picked up the TROND 3.5mm Bluetooth V4.2 Audio Receiver Adapter.
Dirt cheap ($20!) and sound remarkably close to a HRT microStreamer DAC/amp ($180).
It was hooked up to an existing amp though. Not quite a neck solution but untethered anyway.....

Technically double-amping, but once you dial everything in, its a great 2nd DAC to have around.

On its own with N1 - it had a bit of bass bloom, but wired into a proper amp that low-end tightened up along with better imaging/dynamics.

May 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #355 of 2,298
Has anyone mentioned about burn-in/break-in time? I've logged just roughly over 100 hours and the difference had me baffled. I had to re-check everything to see if my settings have changed. I was like "holy smokes..."

May 30, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #357 of 2,298
So if i would like to pick a pair that has the same sound Signature like the A3 what should i pick the N1 or N3 considering that the A3 has dual Balanced Armature drivers with a 16mm dynamic driver...

May 30, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #358 of 2,298
They are not noise cancelling so they are pretty much all the same as far as isolation goes. Different ear tip can offer better isolation. I've found 3 different tips that works well for me,

Comply isolation is probably the best for seal but needs to be fiddled with to get seated correctly. Very comfortable for extended use. I used to use this at the office with my A3.

SpinFit is the easiest to use since they can spin and tilt, all you do is put them in and they will tilt correctly on their own and they do not need to go deep but they have almost no isolation. I would only use them in a quiet environment.

Triple comfort is in between both, better isolation than the SpinFit and easier to seat properly than the Comply.

I ended up getting a bunch of Triple Comfort from Japan for use on all my XBAs (20, 30, N3, A3, Z5)

The N3 is definitely easier to wear but I have no problem with the A3/Z5. The only thing that I don't like on the A3/Z5 is the bulk when you're out and about, That's why I use the N3 on the go. They can also be driven with less power compared to the A3/Z5 which means longer battery life using them with a MUC-M2BT1 . I have no problem wearing the A3/Z5 over the ear with the stock cable (except for cable noise when you move around) I have since switched to using the MUC-M12SM2 upgrade cable over the ear on my Z5, They have almost no cable noise at all and can be used comfortably for extending period.

Yes Exactly that's why i almost stopped using the A3 though i love how they sound, but they are not convenient to wear outdoors, so do you feel that the N1 has a similar sound signature?

May 30, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #360 of 2,298
my initial impression of N3 (compared to W4R) is that it definately has more sub-bass, giving a more "full" sound. super comfortable, would not have thought they would stick in my ears as well as they have. Using the comfort plugs in size "S", the "M" feel a bit big, will have to try out more to see which gives better seal. (for reference, with W4R I was using mediums).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back