Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #331 of 440
So I just got my z7's today... Sadly, they came with an indentation in the left driver.... I can only assume from being poked with a 3.5mm jack earlier in it's life. I bought it from a reputable guy on ebay (I know, mistake) but he had a 100% feedback and a history of selling headphones way more expensive than z7's... I'm hoping they will send me a refund, or a massive discount so I can pay to replace it.... Has anyone had to replace the driver in their Z7's?? Any ideas on how much money I should ask back from him?

I'm correct to assume this is super horrible for sound quality and is completely unacceptable right? He advertised them as "Perfect Working Condition"... Is there any way to safely try to pop it back out?

Thanks in advance for any help...

0EzlYcM.jpg

qn4IJLn.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #332 of 440
There is no way to pop the indentation back out that I know of as there is no way to get to the back of the driver. Even if you remove the driver there is a paper type cover on the back that prevents you from getting to the actual diaphragm. The cost for a new driver from Sony is a little over a $100. Most likely the indentation won't actually cause any audible problems as long as the there isn't a tear in the material. Listening to the phones at a loud volume to test them will tell you if there are any audible problems. If the seller won't refund you then you can file a PayPal dispute-assuming you paid with PayPal-and you should have no problem getting a refund to cover a new driver or for the entire purchase price and return the phones to the seller. I have modified my Sony Z7 with damping material in the cups and replaced the internal wiring. The driver isn't very difficult to replace but you will have to unsolder the 2 wires from the old driver and resolder to the new driver. However, I wouldn't recommend you attempt to replace the driver yourself unless you have some soldering experience and the proper equipment.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #333 of 440
So I just got my z7's today... Sadly, they came with an indentation in the left driver.... I can only assume from being poked with a 3.5mm jack earlier in it's life. I bought it from a reputable guy on ebay (I know, mistake) but he had a 100% feedback and a history of selling headphones way more expensive than z7's... I'm hoping they will send me a refund, or a massive discount so I can pay to replace it.... Has anyone had to replace the driver in their Z7's?? Any ideas on how much money I should ask back from him?

I'm correct to assume this is super horrible for sound quality and is completely unacceptable right? He advertised them as "Perfect Working Condition"... Is there any way to safely try to pop it back out?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Do you have a heatgun? Blowdryer? You can use heat to soften the felt paper, then use a razor to peel a corner back allowing you access the back of the driver. The back of the driver is quite exposed were it not for the felt paper. Then I would use a smallish q-tip and work it lightly to fix the driver. If you can't save the felt paper, you can order some surgical tape which is very similar in consistency and cut that to shape. GL.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #334 of 440
There is no way to pop the indentation back out that I know of as there is no way to get to the back of the driver. Even if you remove the driver there is a paper type cover on the back that prevents you from getting to the actual diaphragm. The cost for a new driver from Sony is a little over a $100. Most likely the indentation won't actually cause any audible problems as long as the there isn't a tear in the material. Listening to the phones at a loud volume to test them will tell you if there are any audible problems. If the seller won't refund you then you can file a PayPal dispute-assuming you paid with PayPal-and you should have no problem getting a refund to cover a new driver or for the entire purchase price and return the phones to the seller. I have modified my Sony Z7 with damping material in the cups and replaced the internal wiring. The driver isn't very difficult to replace but you will have to unsolder the 2 wires from the old driver and resolder to the new driver. However, I wouldn't recommend you attempt to replace the driver yourself unless you have some soldering experience and the proper equipment.

Thanks for the reply... I'll see if he can give me 100$ for the driver and 50$ for the repair back to me. As for the part itself, did you just get it from Sony directly? When I went to the support page, they sent me to United Radio website for repair info.

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #335 of 440
I never actually ordered a new driver as I ended up getting my damaged phone replaced with another one. I had checked on the price of the driver before sending the whole phone back.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #336 of 440
Had a pair of these previously and sold them as I found the treble a bit harsh.
I know they are dark but there was something in the upper mids lower treble that made my eye twitch.

Other than this I loved them.

Just picked up another pair because I loved enough about them to be drawn back :p.
Going to do the tape mod when the arrive and hopefully that sorts out much of my issue with them :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #337 of 440
Thanks for the reply... I'll see if he can give me 100$ for the driver and 50$ for the repair back to me. As for the part itself, did you just get it from Sony directly? When I went to the support page, they sent me to United Radio website for repair info.

Thanks
Part #X-2590-515-1 PLATE (R) ASSY, FRONT (SV) (Including Driver) (R)
https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10748962/Sony/X25905151/Plate_(R)_Assy,_Front_(Sv)_(Including_D
Part #X-2590-514-1 PLATE (L) ASSY, FRONT (SV) (Including Driver) (L)
https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10748963/Sony/X25905141/Plate_(L)_Assy,_Front_(Sv)_(Including_D
Link https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10748963/Sony/X25905141/Plate_(L)_Assy,_Front_(Sv)_(Including_D

Have fun :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #338 of 440
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #342 of 440
Just got my pair a few days ago. I would like to mod them but I really don't wanna spend too much money, Got any suggestions/ good places to start?
Read this thread :) Modding doesn't get much cheaper than a roll of medical tape

Exactly why I published the modifications :) and would also encourage people to DIY. The most affordable works is your own labors

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #344 of 440
ok, so turns out I go stir crazy in bed.
Got up for an hour and did the tape mod.

It is hard to say as I am currently full of cold and pneumonia they tell me, but I did not instantly appreciate the change in sound.
It definately helped the bass tighten up which I liked and seemed to quell the un-natural sounding lower treble, but there was a real edginess to the similar frequency to that which I hated previously.

After a little more listening in bed I am adjusting and finding that I quite like what I am hearing.

Great easy mod with audible results!!

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back