Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,677

Lumos

100+ Head-Fier
Sony MDR MA 900 is wonderful headphone for the price, and I believe it really deserves appreciation thread !

Here is my review http://www.head-fi.org/t/666324/beyerdinamic-dt880-vs-sony-mdr-ma900-the-comparison-review

May 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 2,677
Quote:
It looks like a pair of earmuffs. I'm happy with my MDR-7520 but wouldn't mind giving the MA900 a try.

Really worth to try! good soundstage, nice bass and very detailed, you will notice how realistic is Violin, Oboe, Fagotto, Brass... currently listening Vivaldi edition albums... 

May 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 2,677
Yeah for the $ 200 price range it's hard to beat in sound quality.

Has anyone removed the resistors mod from the ma900. i would like to have your impressions if you did.

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 2,677
Bought this wonderful headphone few weeks ago .. this sounds awesome with my Xonar Phoebus.
great detailed bass for a open design headphone (probably one of the best for a open design) with detailed mids and non-fatiguing highs.. honestly imho this deserves more attention than hd598

according to specs this might be a really low impedance can, but trust me this really benefit from amping .

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 2,677
Quote:
Bought this wonderful headphone few weeks ago .. this sounds awesome with my Xonar Phoebus.
great detailed bass for a open design headphone (probably the one of the best for a open design) with detailed mids and non-fatiguing highs.. honestly imho this deserves more attention than hd598

according to specs this might be a really low impedance can, but trust me this really benefit from amping .

Great purchase!!! congratulation, here is my comparative review with DT880 http://www.head-fi.org/t/666324/beyerdinamic-dt880-vs-sony-mdr-ma900-the-comparison-review

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 2,677
Good day, dear friends!
I ask you to help with the selection of the source at these wonderful headphones - Sony MDR-MA900
All information in this topic.
Thank you! 
beyersmile.png

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 2,677
These headphones are great for gaming paired with a Creative ZXR. I usually have no trouble pinpointing where enemies are in COD: BO2, BF3 and Crysis 3. Without touching the Creative EQ, these headphones sound good for just about anything you want to listen to. I listened to anything from 2Pac, AC-DC, oldies, Metallica and even N-Sync! The highs and mids sound natural and the bass is there but with light impact. As soon I went into the Creative control panel and raised the Gain level to 600 ohm, activated Surround, Crystalizer as well as messed with the EQ, these babies come to life! Raise the bass by a couple of DB's and I had myself a great pair of gaming headphones that do well with music and movies. My new AKG 712 Pro's arrive on Tuesday so I'll be comparing the two.

Almost forgot to mention the comfort level. They are REALLY light and I've worn them on my big head for hours without issue. They might look cheap but they sound expensive and you won't have to worry about an ear ache or a headache with these bad boys.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 2,677
Just bought a pair , will let you know how they work out.
What parts of the cans are magnesium?,i read that the arms, grills and yokes are.
Stick them in the freezer for a minute and see what parts are cold.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 2,677
Ok , been listening for a few hours and all i can say is wow.

These are flat out better than my HD600 and are imo somewhere between it and the HD800.

Whats 'better' i hear you ask, tonally the 900 is more to my taste with a warmer , woodier presentation.

They are also very neutral, they are not adding much at all , maybe a little extra bass but its not really noteworthy.

Soundstage on the 900 is in a different league to the HD600, it is also more accurate than the HD800 as it does'nt have that artificial wideness that the 800 has.

Build quality is actually great, some say it is fragile, i disagree , its lightness gives that impression but its arm's and grills are magnesium and i cant see them breaking anytime soon.

I need to do some more listening, i will post a review at some point but guys dont ignore this pair of cans, they are amazingly enjoyable!

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 2,677
Quote:

These are flat out better than my HD600 and are imo somewhere between it and the HD800.

Whats 'better' i hear you ask, tonally the 900 is more to my taste with a warmer , woodier presentation.

They are also very neutral, they are not adding much at all , maybe a little extra bass but its not really noteworthy.

Soundstage on the 900 is in a different league to the HD600, it is also more accurate than the HD800 as it does'nt have that artificial wideness that the 800 has.

Build quality is actually great, some say it is fragile, i disagree , its lightness gives that impression but its arm's and grills are magnesium and i cant see them breaking anytime soon.

I need to do some more listening, i will post a review at some point but guys dont ignore this pair of cans, they are amazingly enjoyable!

I have not HD600 but I have modded hd558 and shure SRH940 and I prefer Sony, I would really appreciate if you can compare HD600 and MA900 more further in your review 

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 2,677
Quote:

I agree. These headphones rock! The only con is the non-removable cable.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 2,677
Quote:

I have not HD600 but I have modded hd558 and shure SRH940 and I prefer Sony, I would really appreciate if you can compare HD600 and MA900 more further in your review 

I second this. I'm really close to getting an HD600, but this review has me interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back