Sony MDR-7520
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,356 of 2,535
New owner of a very lightly used second hand 7520 reporting in. I have a CD900ST and I was pleasantly surprised with the sound of the 7520s. The CD900s have the mids like voices more center and forward, more enclosed and more in your face. The 7520s are on the other hand more hi-fi, like a good speaker system with wider staging and good detail retrieval. A great all round headphone which i suspect is well suited for mastering/ final mixes. :L3000:

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,360 of 2,535
I was still finding my 7520 quite unbalanced to my taste so instead of putting them on sale I managed to create an eq correction curve using Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 eq in Cubase.

My purpose wasn't making them flat over a flat response curve, but rather making them sound closer to my other reference systems which I know very well and I like how they sound.

I can send you the preset for Pro Q 2 if you're interested, just drop me a message (I made a vst preset which can be opened in cubase, but I could recreate an AU for using it in Logic too if you need).

Personal taste aside, I really think they now sound more balanced and useful for mixing purposes than before.

FYI they feature the famous velour pads mentioned in this thread, so probably my mod works better if your have those pads.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,361 of 2,535
I was still finding my 7520 quite unbalanced to my taste so instead of putting them on sale I managed to create an eq correction curve using Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 eq in Cubase.

My purpose wasn't making them flat over a flat response curve, but rather making them sound closer to my other reference systems which I know very well and I like how they sound.

I can send you the preset for Pro Q 2 if you're interested, just drop me a message (I made a vst preset which can be opened in cubase, but I could recreate an AU for using it in Logic too if you need).

Personal taste aside, I really think they now sound more balanced and useful for mixing purposes than before.

FYI they feature the famous velour pads mentioned in this thread, so probably my mod works better if your have those pads.

yes please do share..or any EQ settings so i can duplicate them.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,363 of 2,535
Fabfilter Pro Q2 Trial available here:

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-2-equalizer-plug-in

Low Shelf: 12 dB/oct; 22,4 Hz; -1.67 dB; Q 0,3

Bell 1: 12 dB/oct; 65,3 Hz; -5 dB; Q 1,05

Bell 2: 12 dB/oct; 138,4 Hz; -5 dB; Q 1,09

Bell 3: 12 dB/oct; 325,6 Hz; -1,32 dB; Q 2,24

Bell 4: 24 dB/oct; 1221,2 Hz; +3,49 dB; Q 1,75

Bell 5: 12 dB/oct; 1458,4 Hz; +1,47 dB; Q 1,44

Bell 6: 12 dB/oct; 3450 Hz; -0,80 dB; Q 1,16

Bell 7: 12 dB/oct; 7839,6 Hz; -3,41 dB; Q 2,47

Bell 8: 12 dB/oct; 9677 Hz; -1,58 dB; Q 3,84

Gain scale (parallel eq) around 90% (bottom right slider)

0Iy9

Not sure how these settings will translate in other eq brands.

A few words on my main audio system:

Adam S2X monitors + CMS Focal sub 11” in acustically treated studio.

These settings don’t really sound like my system but at least they are closer to it compared to the default sound of 7520.

Listen to them a couple of minutes and then bypass the eq to go back to the original 7520 sound to see how the low mids are exagerated, the mids masked and the high too sibilants and almost phasey sounding.

I hope you like it

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,364 of 2,535
thanks keirkegaard....how's Nietzsche and Schoppi and Goethe all doing?
:wink:

i do have a parametric EQ in Roon i can fiddle with too.

i just might send these into sonarworks to get calibrated...i was to sell them but i think they're a great portable set.
has anyone done so, and liked the results?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,366 of 2,535
I guess they would sound mostly perfect after calibration the only reason I didn't do so is they are my portable can and there would currently be no way to apply the calibration settings from my DX90 or phone. I think it would be great if they had a batch conversion tool you could run to create copies of all your music files using the selected calibration profile. Then you could take them on the go.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,367 of 2,535
yes they're my portable cans, too..can i store these calibrated settings o
I guess they would sound mostly perfect after calibration the only reason I didn't do so is they are my portable can and there would currently be no way to apply the calibration settings from my DX90 or phone. I think it would be great if they had a batch conversion tool you could run to create copies of all your music files using the selected calibration profile. Then you could take them on the go.

good point: still trying to understand calibration add ons, i guess...they'd be used as my portable cans, too.
would the ipod touch be able to store the settings? (i'm using ipod touch 6/chord mojo for on the go)

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,368 of 2,535
I believe it's possible to process files with DSP when converting with foobar2k? That might be limited to just foobar native DSP plugins though, since VST has to be used though a wrapper.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,369 of 2,535
There are a number of very good music players for an iPod touch that have good EQs. I would check out Vox as well as Can Opener. Both have their own library folders for flac but can also read from the iPod/iPhones itunes library files.

Once you understand the EQ settings you should be able to replicate them fairly closely in most decent EQs. The only thing you have to adjust is gain, typically reducing it a bit depending if you are boosting any other bands.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,370 of 2,535
My recommendation, don't batch process your songs with an EQ. Just find a good app that you can run them through. This is much less time consuming and ultimately more flexible.

Another consideration, is that on the go, the 7520 doesn't perfectly seal out all background noises. As a result, your equalization preferences may be a bit different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back