Sony MDR-10RC ( Hi Res Audio ) Just arrived !!!
Oct 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Rob49

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just received these.....and spinning my first disc....redbook cd, "Michael" / Michael Jackson.

First impressions ( only on track 2 ) Very promising !!! Immediately aware of lots of detail !!....will get back with further thoughts on SACD / DVD-A & FLAC files......

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 55
Well, I've been giving these new headphones a good try out.....I played the "Michael" disc all the way through, because I was enjoying it so much.
Two words come to mind, DETAIL & CLARITY. Vocal & instrumentation wise, you really can hear every little nuance ! ( Early days, but regards detail, I think they're possibly some of the best headphones I've tried out ? )
I played Toto IV in redbook CD / SACD / Flac file formats, they all showed impressive results, again highlighting detail. SACD & Flac, very natural / live sounding. I suppose there was a brief thought, that I was going to experience a 5.1 explosion in my head, given Sony's literature, but of course, that's not the case.....but what I have experienced, is a more than favourable listening enjoyment.
I also tried out REM / DVD-A ( Around The Sun ) Even more impressed with this disc ! I tried out a couple of the new HFPA Universal discs - Stevie Wonder ( Songs In The Key Of Life ) Serge Gainsbourg ( Histoire de Melody Nelson 5.1 ) Again both impressive. Detail being the key word at present....
Comfort wise, very similar to Bose AE2's, which are some of the most comfortable headphones I've tried !
I purchased some Sony MDR-1NC headphones earlier this year. ( Which I find either very impressive, or not so, depending on what's being played, and equipment used ? ) Compared to the MDR-10RC's, I don't find them as comfortable....and vastly overpriced ! ( even though they're NC. ) I may not have bought them, if the MDR-10RC's had been available at the same time !
Anyway, i'll go & give my ears a rest for now....OR TRY TO !!

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 55
I've been waiting for some reviews of these!

What is the bass like on them?

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 55
Oh good, it all sounds promising so far!

Does it block out much noise?  I know its not noise cancelling or covers the whole ear like the other Sony ones just announced, but as I travel on the trains to London everyday, my current headphones (Sennheiser MX985) I have to have them almost on max volume and its still not that good.

Even if it blocks out a little it would be good for me (i'm sure it would be better than my headphones).

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 55
  Oh good, it all sounds promising so far!

Does it block out much noise?  I know its not noise cancelling or covers the whole ear like the other Sony ones just announced, but as I travel on the trains to London everyday, my current headphones (Sennheiser MX985) I have to have them almost on max volume and its still not that good.

Even if it blocks out a little it would be good for me (i'm sure it would be better than my headphones).

Like you say, they're not over ear phones, or NC, but it's not possible for me to comment on outside enviroments because i'm housebound. ( I have no experience of the Sennheiser MX985, so can't compare. )

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 55
Hi Rob49

Thanks for that review - I was in Osaka the other day and tried these on in Yodobashi camera with my iPhone and had a good impression playing off 320kbps files. Have you had a chance to try it with 320kbps mp3 (and maybe lower)? I would be interested to hear your comparison of those formats and the high BR ones. I use the Sennheiser HD25-ii for day-to-day on-the-road use, but for longer trips the clamping gets a bit too much.

Cheers!

Andrew

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 55
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for not replying sooner. My portable audio equipment are Sony mini disc players. ( Hi MD player, too.....which is my main usage. ) I've recorded one particular song in all BR's. Just listening through now.....will get back to you later, with thoughts....

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 55
can someone tell me what this high res audio feature is on these headphones? i thought it was a marketing thing. 

Also, you said these are no over the ear headphones? then... i'm back to the previous version... or the mk2 version because over the ear is a must (i have glasses and on ear will hurt with glasses.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 55
  Hi Rob

Not a problem at all :) Look forward to hearing your thoughts though...

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Further posts jogged my memory. I've listened through the same track repeatedly. I think there are subtle differences, but I can't decide which one's are the best ? I think listening to the same track over & over again, can become more confusing !!

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 55
  can someone tell me what this high res audio feature is on these headphones? i thought it was a marketing thing.

Also, you said these are no over the ear headphones? then... i'm back to the previous version... or the mk2 version because over the ear is a must (i have glasses and on ear will hurt with glasses.

Whether it's a marketing thing, i'm not sure ? As I've said i'm impressed with the detail & clarity. It's not like you press a button to activate hi res. I'm hoping to buy one of the new hi res Walkman's, so I see how they match up then ?
I do believe ( without checking ) that there is a over ear model. I think it's the same number, without the RC ?

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 55
  Whether it's a marketing thing, i'm not sure ? As I've said i'm impressed with the detail & clarity. It's not like you press a button to activate hi res. I'm hoping to buy one of the new hi res Walkman's, so I see how they match up then ?
I do believe ( without checking ) that there is a over ear model. I think it's the same number, without the RC ?

hmm... well that was what i was wondering. What makes something high res audio and will it make a difference if you have a good sacd or do you need special hardware for that... I think it's just a normal 3.5 mm jackplug right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back