Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #767 of 1,526
how is the z1r is it worth the price tag. i heard you need quality eletronics to play with those headphones.
--
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_granted_patent_for_fingerprint_reader_on_the_power_key-news-25582.php

Don't pay full price for the Z1R, it's overpriced like many other expensive headphones...

You mean they are difficult to drive? I don't think so, my Ibasso does the job very well. Even the HTC 10 can drive them, though not properly.

Another reason I don't like Apple...we all need to earn money, but please maintain your dignity ...:)

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #768 of 1,526
So now Sony won't be the ONLY phone with that option. lol

apple straight up being anti-competition. even though sony had this before on their z5. If its a shameless copy i will be disappointed unless they do something different with it.

Don't pay full price for the Z1R, it's overpriced like many other expensive headphones...

You mean they are difficult to drive? I don't think so, my Ibasso does the job very well. Even the HTC 10 can drive them, though not properly.

Another reason I don't like Apple...we all need to earn money, but please maintain your dignity ...:)

yeah reminds me of the focal utopia. Would you say they are up there among the best?

yeah i meant its harder to drive with like a phone or something. cuz i heard to reach its fulll potential you need a proper amp with it.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #769 of 1,526
apple straight up being anti-competition. even though sony had this before on their z5. If its a shameless copy i will be disappointed unless they do something different with it.

Yes I used it with my Z5 and liked it, but now gotten used to the HTC 10, it's all about happits :)

yeah reminds me of the focal utopia. Would you say they are up there among the best?

yeah i meant its harder to drive with like a phone or something. cuz i heard to reach its fulll potential you need a proper amp with it.

No doubt some(many) will say that they need a proper amp. Maybe they are right but I can't imagine a big difference versus my Ibasso, they are seriously very good out of both the Ibasso and my FiiO X5iii. Anyway I prefer mobile setup even at home, so I won't buy any big amp.

They are warm and bassy, if this is your signature I do believe they are among the best closed headphones today. It's always best to audition before buy, if you don't have possibility to return them.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #770 of 1,526
No doubt some(many) will say that they need a proper amp. Maybe they are right but I can't imagine a big difference versus my Ibasso, they are seriously very good out of both the Ibasso and my FiiO X5iii. Anyway I prefer mobile setup even at home, so I won't buy any big amp.

They are warm and bassy, if this is your signature I do believe they are among the best closed headphones today. It's always best to audition before buy, if you don't have possibility to return them.
one reviewer described it as being able to tell how big the room is where the song was recorded or something like that.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #771 of 1,526
Welcome to my new MISC thread.

We can talk audio (and closely related topics) here!

Here is another look at akg fanboy's AWESOME custom EQ for the AKG K551 for those who didn't see it in the Senn HD 598 Cs vs. B&O 2nd Gen H6 thread I had going previously. This custom EQ is FANTASTIC!!

The EQ looks like a very good match for K551, it should enhance the bass a bit, and heal the mid-high spike a bit, so voices, guitars and violins will now sound pretty sweet.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #775 of 1,526
thanks for reminding me that the h6 2nd generation is still the best combination of looks and sound. most other headphones dont look this good. Admitelly audiphile grade headphones aren't exactly nice looking.

Have you seen Meze 99 Classics?

They are quite beautiful in person! The wood finish looks as good as it looks in photos, which is amazing since I've been using my pair for a few months now and people are still impressed by them when they see me wearing them.

Hey George,

Yes it is a GREAT EQ for the K551s! akg fanboy is a true genius! :L3000:

It looks like the EQ tries to make K551 sound more natural, I'll experiment a bit with it.

Depends for what. m50 series sounds claustrophobic, especially when compared to K551, 99C, a700x, Senn Momentum etc.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #776 of 1,526
thanks for reminding me that the h6 2nd generation is still the best combination of looks and sound. most other headphones dont look this good. Admitelly audiphile grade headphones aren't exactly nice looking.

Sure thing. lol To be honest, I felt the H6 2nd Gens were BETTER than the AKG K55X headphones, but their small circular ear pads were MORE on-ear than over-ear, which DOESN'T work for me. Same thing with a friend of mine who bought them. We both returned or sold ours within the same week. The highly-rated Meze 99 Classics however WISELY replaced their smaller ear pads with larger ones. I'm trying them out now, and it's possible I MAY have found a replacement for my K551s with these. I am working with akg fanboy and George to find a custom EQ that truly makes them shine. I will maybe write a review with more details if I find the time, and esp if I keep the 99s. The 99s also feature oval-shaped ear pads not circular like AKG's and B&O's for a better fit and seal on our oval-shaped ears. Plus I find them slightly more comfortable than my K551s. Plus the 99s feature walnut wood ear cups, which they say offer better acoustics than metal or plastic ear cups do.

So actually, I'd recommend not getting the 2nd Gen (or 1st Gen) H6s (which cost about the same as the 99s!) and waiting for me to test out the new EQ on the 99s I just bought. I will keep u guys updated. The H6s DO look great, but I would argue that the 99s look even nicer. I got the silver walnut one off Amazon which I liked better than the gold ones (and lighter white colored ones). I felt the gold one was a bit too much. The silver looks classier to me, but the gold is really nice too.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #777 of 1,526
Have you seen Meze 99 Classics?

They are quite beautiful in person! The wood finish looks as good as it looks in photos, which is amazing since I've been using my pair for a few months now and people are still impressed by them when they see me wearing them.

It looks like the EQ tries to make K551 sound more natural, I'll experiment a bit with it.

Depends for what. m50 series sounds claustrophobic, especially when compared to K551, 99C, a700x, Senn Momentum etc.

Ok George. I'll try the one you sent me anyway but yes please feel free to experiment and send me whatever you come up with.

Oh I can vouch for that! I had the M50X a few years ago, and it had like NO soundstage at all. Claustrophobic is right! One of the worst headphones I've ever tried, yet one of the most popular, which I'll NEVER understand.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #778 of 1,526
Sure thing. lol To be honest, I felt the H6 2nd Gens were BETTER than the AKG K55X headphones, but their small circular ear pads were MORE on-ear than over-ear, which DOESN'T work for me. Same thing with a friend of mine who bought them. We both returned or sold ours within the same week. The highly-rated Meze 99 Classics however WISELY replaced their smaller ear pads with larger ones. I'm trying them out now, and it's possible I MAY have found a replacement for my K551s with these. I am working with akg fanboy and George to find a custom EQ that truly makes them shine. I will maybe write a review with more details if I find the time, and esp if I keep the 99s. The 99s also feature oval-shaped ear pads not circular like AKG's and B&O's for a better fit and seal on our oval-shaped ears. Plus I find them slightly more comfortable than my K551s. Plus the 99s feature walnut wood ear cups, which they say offer better acoustics than metal or plastic ear cups do.

So actually, I'd recommend not getting the 2nd Gen (or 1st Gen) H6s (which cost about the same as the 99s!) and waiting for me to test out the new EQ on the 99s I just bought. I will keep u guys updated. The H6s DO look great, but I would argue that the 99s look even nicer. I got the silver walnut one off Amazon which I liked better than the gold ones (and lighter white colored ones). I felt the gold one was a bit too much. The silver looks classier to me, but the gold is really nice too.

Silver version is my top choice as well, I like the striking accents that can go with any environment!

2Km2uNM.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #779 of 1,526

It's a decent list. They chose the worst of the K55X series........the K553. Per AKG, they all sound the same, but the K553 features a THINNER headband for SLIGHTLY less comfort. Any of the other 3 K55X headphones would've been better (K550, K550 MK II, or K551). V-Moda #1, with its V-shaped sound? F that noise. lol M50X does not even belong on that. lol K550/K550 MK II/K551 should've been #1.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #780 of 1,526
if i ever purchased an AKG headphone it would be the akg 550.

i heard the m40x are better than the 50x.

yes but does the meze99 sound as good as the bh6 2nd gen? we need a competitor to the 2ng gen. Sennheisers and beyerdnamics arent ugly either but not as stylish as the B&O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back