Mar 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #256 of 483
Has anyone else found the microRendu a little too harsh in their setup?  I got mine yesterday and the detail and noise floor are definitely improved .. but I'm also experiencing listening fatigue very quickly.   

Setup is PC Roon Server -> microRendu (iFi power supply) -> Basic/Generic USB cable -> Chord 2qute -> Arcam A29 -> Elac UF5 towers.

If others have not experienced this phenomenon, I'm guessing I need to look at the power supply and/or the USB cable?

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #257 of 483
  Has anyone else found the microRendu a little too harsh in their setup?  I got mine yesterday and the detail and noise floor are definitely improved .. but I'm also experiencing listening fatigue very quickly.   

Setup is PC Roon Server -> microRendu (iFi power supply) -> Basic/Generic USB cable -> Chord 2qute -> Arcam A29 -> Elac UF5 towers.

If others have not experienced this phenomenon, I'm guessing I need to look at the power supply and/or the USB cable?

Not in any way at all. I'm using the mR in my headphone rigs with JRiver MC-21.
Check my signature for my chain.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #258 of 483
i'm just about to try it this wkend (hooking it up with my ultracaps power supply)
with a trial of Roon 1.3v....might do the lifetime membership, but will start with the 30 or 60 day trial.

but i know JRiver is also popular....so to those who've tried both would enjoy reading your feedback.

my desktop gig is pretty simple: windows laptop (as nas: tidal hifi, ripped cds and 24/192 files)
 microrendu/ultrapcaps to dac to iems/cans or focal alpha 50 speakers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #259 of 483
OK - thanks.  Maybe I need to upgrade to an LPS and a decent USB?  Was thinking about the Curious USB and the Uptone LPS, although looks like the Uptone are on backorder until late April. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #260 of 483
  OK - thanks.  Maybe I need to upgrade to an LPS and a decent USB?  Was thinking about the Curious USB and the Uptone LPS, although looks like the Uptone are on backorder until late April. 

I don't use a mR currently but have had the Curious USB in my rig, and think that cable may offer a bit too much detail - you can check the online comments.. one cool thing is I think Curious has a return policy...

A very good USB cable at a decent price is the Pangea AG model or the Supra. But it may be better to just wait for a week to let the mR settle in before throwing more money at it. (If you are using one of the new IFi power supplies, those are pretty good for starters....).

I have the Uptone LPS-1 (and a few of the iFi's ...and a bunch of TeraDak's), The Uptone LPS-1 is very good and actually worked well to smooth-out the sound coming from my SU-1 which was originally very harsh in my system... If you have on-hand any decent LPS that would work, you can try one of those iFi DC iPurifier things which I have found offer a nice benefit to the standard TeraDak DC-30 LPS.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #261 of 483

I am presuming the fatigue you mention WASN'T there before ? The UltraTone UltraCap LPS-1 did make a noticeable difference for me...the greater clarity that this produces may have a bearing on the fatigue you're experiencing. IMO worth waiting for. As with everything audio, I personally find some 'warm-up' time makes a difference. Do you leave the mR on 24/7 ? Also, as others mention...a decent USB cable...though not necessarily expensive. I use one like this... http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/usb-cables-hubs/audiophonics-usb-digital-audio-usb-a-male-to-usb-b-4n-ofc-1m-p-11075.html ... only €29 but well built with a shielded powerline. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #262 of 483
Thanks @Charente @motberg and @joseph69
Good points and suggestions all around. No, the fatigue wasn't there before. I am leaving it on 24/7 (and the 2Qute DAC as well), and as mentioned mabye the mr and my ears/brain all need some break-in. I'll likely look to upgrade to LPS-1 and try a different USB cable or two just to see what happens.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #263 of 483
I'm running the mR into my Yggdrasil via an Anticables reference USB cable. Added the LPS1 this week. My signature has the rest of the system details.

The noise floor dropped, revealing more low level detail. This also brought richer tone, color and more convincing harmonic complexity. There is greater ease to the sound overall. I've done short sessions with both the Mogwai and my Bottlehead SEX amp along with the Nighthawks.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #264 of 483
about to hook up my microrendu/ultracaps
(and yes i even drank 3 large glasses of koolaid and bought the
sonore/cardas DC-4 cable for $140...as my friend says 'we're at the point of no return')
...going to trial the new Roon 1.3 as well (i use Tidal on my laptop as well as ripped cds)
...so fingers crossed i'll be impressed....let you know in a few days.

at my desk listening to my Focal Alpha 50s...love desktop audio more and more
(my bud wants me to invest into a 2.1 system but i'm not one to sit on a couch
and listen to music)...love that i'm i can listen to great music while i'm also doing something.
might even splurge for Genelec G series and a sub or the more pricey Focal CMS 65s.
we'll see.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #265 of 483
Wrote up more impressions here.

Very nice. My experiences match what I've read about the mR and LPS-1. 
Very jazzed about this.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #266 of 483
  Thanks @Charente @motberg and @joseph69
Good points and suggestions all around. No, the fatigue wasn't there before. I am leaving it on 24/7 (and the 2Qute DAC as well), and as mentioned maybe the mr and my ears/brain all need some break-in. I'll likely look to upgrade to LPS-1 and try a different USB cable or two just to see what happens.  

Beyond the warmup/breakin, which I think was a factor - two things that I've tried so far that have made good strides to smooth out the harshness.  1) I replaced the basic USB cable (that I think came with an old printer?) with a $20 Schiit PYST USB cable and 2) instead of connecting my Roon server PC and the mr directly to my router, I'm connecting through an unmanaged switch powered by an iFi low-noise power supply.  

I also have an LPS-1 on order and have high hopes for that based on all the comments!

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #267 of 483
  Beyond the warmup/breakin, which I think was a factor - two things that I've tried so far that have made good strides to smooth out the harshness.  1) I replaced the basic USB cable (that I think came with an old printer?) with a $20 Schiit PYST USB cable and 2) instead of connecting my Roon server PC and the mr directly to my router, I'm connecting through an unmanaged switch powered by an iFi low-noise power supply.  

I also have an LPS-1 on order and have high hopes for that based on all the comments!

Good to hear that you're getting better results. I am a bit surprised that you are still getting some harshness. Am I correct in thinking you are currently using an iFi PS for the mR ? That's how I started and I heard a great improvement and no harshness. Another thought occurs... the ethernet cable to the mR. Again, I don't suggest spending a fortune, but a reasonable quality CAT6 cable (I bought a QC'd one for €9, e.g. .. http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-ethernet-rj45/cable-patch-reseau-rj45-categorie-6a-contacts-plaques-or-21m-p-7120.html ..). IME many mass produced ethernet cables can be hit and miss. The UltraTone LPS-1 will lower any noise due to power considerably and I found produces a clearer sound. Let us know how you get on.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #268 of 483
  Wrote up more impressions here.

Very nice. My experiences match what I've read about the mR and LPS-1. 
Very jazzed about this.

Completely agree with your findings... a good write-up explaining what to expect for those who might be on the fence.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #269 of 483
Good to hear that you're getting better results. I am a bit surprised that you are still getting some harshness. Am I correct in thinking you are currently using an iFi PS for the mR ? That's how I started and I heard a great improvement and no harshness. Another thought occurs... the ethernet cable to the mR. Again, I don't suggest spending a fortune, but a reasonable quality CAT6 cable (I bought a QC'd one for €9, e.g. .. http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-ethernet-rj45/cable-patch-reseau-rj45-categorie-6a-contacts-plaques-or-21m-p-7120.html ..). IME many mass produced ethernet cables can be hit and miss. The UltraTone LPS-1 will lower any noise due to power considerably and I found produces a clearer sound. Let us know how you get on.

Yes, iFi ps w the mr until the UpTone arrives. My last comment probably came across as if there is still harshness - but with the changes I mentioned and the settling in, it's really not the case. Its extremely clear and detailed, which I think on some tracks (or if I have it turned up a bit too loud) can be a little fatiguing. But much of the time sounds amazing (and I'm guessing will be even better w LPS-1).
Based on this experience though- I can see why people might start playing w tubes to add some euphony.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #270 of 483
... Based on this experience though- I can see why people might start playing w tubes to add some euphony.

Indeed...which is why I went down the Schiit LYR 2 route after I got the source/front-end sorted...but that's a whole new and different ball-game !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back