Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #796 of 1,377
To be honest I think I would just buy the pre-calibrated headphones directly from them instead of sending any in and the 650 is probably an incredible can after custom calibration.

They would calibrate it out of the box, which might be a different story from how it'll sound after a few hundred hours but yeah I guess sending them phones is easier if you're in the EU.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #797 of 1,377
Thx for the info. I would definitely use DHL/FedEx. Absolutely love the results with the HD800 and I'm using the generic cal file.

thing is to their credit the post office absolutely did get them there in 5 days and through customs without an issue it was in the actual delivery process where it somehow got stuck. really not sure exactly how that happened still but I am guessing the given address is not an actual office where people open the door when knocked or can sign for deliveries and somehow they missed all the notifications to go to the post office to actually pick it up. just a guess, the reality could have been something totally different and my situation might have been a very abnormal exception.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #798 of 1,377
Are there any plans of doing a profile for the pre-2016 Audeze LCD-XC?

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #799 of 1,377
so a question to Sonarworks: and i know this is personal
1/what sets of cans, in the ops of your techs, are the best bangs for the buck, regardless of price (when calibrated)
2/and what are the best set of cans calibrated you've tested for under 1k?

1) Closed - Oppo PM-3, Open - HD650/600
2) Same as the above

To elaborate - HD650/600 are a pleasant anomaly in the current headphone ecosystem as they don't have the nasty upper mid suckout and treble peak 90% of other headphones have. Uncalibrated they walk over the competition no questions asked. When calibrated Audeze LCD-2 will have more bass extension and less THD and HD800 will have a better soundstaging. As you well know - HD800 uncalibrated has an ungodly set of treble problems.

Sending in the Z1R's

Cool! I'd like to see what's all the fuss about!

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #800 of 1,377
1) Closed - Oppo PM-3, Open - HD650/600
2) Same as the above

To elaborate - HD650/600 are a pleasant anomaly in the current headphone ecosystem as they don't have the nasty upper mid suckout and treble peak 90% of other headphones have. Uncalibrated they walk over the competition no questions asked. When calibrated Audeze LCD-2 will have more bass extension and less THD and HD800 will have a better soundstaging. As you well know - HD800 uncalibrated has an ungodly set of treble problems.

Cool! I'd like to see what's all the fuss about!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks..might send in my sony mdr7520 (my portable cans) as a starter.
or buy some calibrated sen 650s...but admittedly the detail and insight from the sony z1r is considerably more than with the 650s....at least to my 'less than golden' ears during the brief comparison i had them for.

also, your reply on your choices of bang/buck ratio for open/closed cans is appreciated.

but a question on the more pricey cans such as the audeze lcd3 (let alone new lcd4) or hifiman 1000 v1 or v2 or mr speakers ether flow etc:
is the reason you don't sell them calibrated on your site is that perhaps you don't feel they hold their weight against the senn 650s per price increase to performance? of is it due to other factors?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #801 of 1,377
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks..might send in my sony mdr7520 (my portable cans)
..so your reply on your choices of bang/buck ratio for open/closed cans is appreciated.
but on the more pricey cans such as the audeze lcd3 (let alone new lcd4) or hifiman 1000 v1 or v2 or mr speakers ether flow etc:
you don't feel they hold their weight against the senn 650s per price increase to performance?
just wondering why your store doesn't also sell those models in calibrated..seems 650s are the highest priced ones you do sell calibrated on the site.

I'd also be interested in knowing. However, their decision to not stock costlier models could simply be because of the liquidity concerns and probably the need to partner directly with manufacturers (HiFi Man doesn't honor warranty of their cans, if purchased from unauthorized dealers).

I'd be really interested to know, how a calibrated HD600 compares to a calibrated HD650? Does the standard recommendation, still stand (For example, as per some comparisons, Sennheiser 'Veil' (which itself may be debatable) being more prominent in HD650, HD600 being 'faster', more bass 'impact', but less extended) or are there no significant differences once calibrated. (in which case, HD600 becomes a stunning deal, at that price)

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #802 of 1,377
good chance from here on if I ever purchase a new desktop headphone again, open or closed it will be pre-calibrated. The 650 sounds tempting. Will be curious to hear how the 4 pair i sent it each respond to the calibration and what their strong points and weaknesses remain after. In theory they should sound nearly the same right with only soundstage being unaccounted for.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #803 of 1,377
good chance from here on if I ever purchase a new desktop headphone again, open or closed it will be pre-calibrated. The 650 sounds tempting. Will be curious to hear how the 4 pair i sent it each respond to the calibration and what their strong points and weaknesses remain after. In theory they should sound nearly the same right with only soundstage being unaccounted for.

sorry if i missed it, but what cans did you send in?
i'm considering my sony 7520, buying new from them 650 calibrated
maybe send in (if i dont' sell them) sony z1r

i just listen more and more to my near fields (focal alpha 50s) at my desk...or prefer iems
out and about (FLS 8S/mojo ipod)

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #804 of 1,377
sorry if i missed it, but what cans did you send in?
i'm considering my sony 7520, buying new from them 650 calibrated
maybe send in (if i dont' sell them) sony z1r

i just listen more and more to my near fields (focal alpha 50s) at my desk...or prefer iems
out and about (FLS 8S/mojo ipod)

- modded T1s with custom cable
- modded MHP1000s with custom cable and custom pads
- LCD-X (v1) with custom cable and carbon fiber headband
- LCD-XC (v1) with custom cable and carbon fiber headband

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #805 of 1,377
I don't think SW is working properly for me...either it's malfunctioning, I have the settings misconfigured, or this is simply a poor product.

Basically, when enabled, the VST produces a "delay effect"--not latency, but an echo-like delay effect as one might use as a DSP (very short, maybe 50 to 100ms). It doesn't sound distorted or anything, but it's certainly not just EQing.

I have tried adjusting every setting I see available with no luck.

Using Sennheiser HD-800 with JRiver.

Please help!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #806 of 1,377
is the reason you don't sell them calibrated on your site is that perhaps you don't feel they hold their weight against the senn 650s per price increase to performance? of is it due to other factors?

Having expensive cans in stock is well... expensive. We're not big enough to freeze these kinds of assets, until someone buys them. The deal with HD650 is that going higher will undeniably get you improvement in some areas, but you will pay for it in terms of tonality.

Please help!

Have you bugged our support about this?

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #807 of 1,377
I don't think SW is working properly for me...either it's malfunctioning, I have the settings misconfigured, or this is simply a poor product.

Basically, when enabled, the VST produces a "delay effect"--not latency, but an echo-like delay effect as one might use as a DSP (very short, maybe 50 to 100ms). It doesn't sound distorted or anything, but it's certainly not just EQing.

I have tried adjusting every setting I see available with no luck.

Using Sennheiser HD-800 with JRiver.

Please help!

sounds like duplicate processing of the effect chain or some sort of dry mix issue. I am using JRiver and VST plugin with no issue whatsoever. Mac? Are you also running systemwide or some other effect host? screenshot of your DSP effects window and it's settings in JRiver would help.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #808 of 1,377
@RudeWolf I just tried Sonorworks Systemwide with my HD650(w B&K 1974 curve).with Luxman rig, i am completly stunned! INSANLY SOUND GOOD! deeply satisfied.
so since i am a Stax mania. Would you add some Stax profiles to your software in near future? Please please please...i have heard that some major famouse studio use Stax SR-207 for thier studio monitor.
Thank you very much Rudolf!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #809 of 1,377
@RudeWolf I just tried Sonorworks Systemwide with my HD650(w B&K 1974 curve). i am completly stunned! INSANLY SOUND GOOD! deeply satisfied.
so since i am a Stax mania. Would you add some Stax profiles to your software in near future? Please please please...i have heard that some major famouse studio use Stax SR-207 for thier studio monitor.
Thank you very much Rudolf!
I also enjoy the B&K profile but I find you need to ramp back in the 3db from 2k to the top where it dips below 0

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #810 of 1,377
I've owned a Sonarworks headphone license for a while but just got a pair of Oppo PM-3 headphones the other day. Listening to music with Sonarworks allowed me to understand lyrics that I previously hadn't been able to. I really enjoyed that. Definite thumbs up for the PM-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back