SOHA II - Super SE Hybrid
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #676 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyTales /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Let me ask a somewhat stupid question, what changes needs to be made to run it on 220 volts AC?

Arnaud

A 115/230V transformer with the proper secondaries should require only that the primaries be wired in series. Here's an example of the Avel trafo specified in the BoM's wiring options:

Transformers and Power Converters From Avel Lindberg, Inc.

Alex, perhaps we (er, you
wink.gif
) should update the wiring diagrams on the web site for our European friends...

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #677 of 707
For Europeans builders, there are transformers with 230V primaries available on the market.

Arnaud, take a look at RS-Components Netherlands (this one is quite inexpensive) or Amplimo Netherlands.
Of course, there are many other places in Europe where transformers with 230V primaries are available.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #682 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gents, none of you has made any comments on the proposed panels. I am going to assume for the moment that this means you are not too fond of them.

If so, I won't mind hearing that. And you won't hurt my feelings.

What I'd like to do is to get a design that most of you like so that the panels can be offered with the kits from Glass Jar. And so you don't have to drill everything out.

Runeight, are the predrilled front and back panels abandonned or still some chances to get them with the coming kit?

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #683 of 707
Wolf18T, Jeff (Glass Jar) is not going to offer Front Panel Express prefabricated panels. He is, as of our last conversation, trying to have the stock Hammond panels punched out to include with the kits.

Are you just interested in the pre-drilled panels or are you interested in the FPE panels?

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #685 of 707
Hmm, I was wondering, theoretically, what if a company like Grado labs (I'm just using their name as an example) came up with this design, made it, and sold it. How much do you think they would sell it for? I mean the parts and all are under $200, right?... but that would not factor in build cost/manufacturing, fancy enclosures, r&d, advertising and warranty repairs and a profit margin.

I just really appreciate what you all have done, and all the time and effort that has gone into the development, and you've done it all out of a love for the hobby and the community... it's a wonderful thing. I can't wait to get a crack at building one. The builds look amazing.

I built a pair of SET monoblocks, the bottlehead paramours, and that was a challenge and very satisfying to me. I also built the foreplay preamp they offered. When I fired up the foreplay, and it worked, and it was the first major piece of electronics I had ever built, I was thrilled. My first paramour worked, but the second, I had to get Doc at bottlehead to help me fix it, I believe I had knicked a resistor with the soldering iron. It really is rewarding building something yourself, especially for the first time. I can't wait to take a crack at this amp. I've never soldered onto a board before, only, I guess what you would call point to point wiring, but this looks easier and I bet I could do it no problem if I am careful.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #686 of 707
Well as a point of comparison there is another recent DIY design that you can build for ~50 that is being sold commercially for 180 and they did non of the R&D. So... your guess is as good as mine but I would not be surprised to see a commercial offering (if it ever happened) in the 500-600 range. Which IMHO it is worth every penny of that when compared SQ wise to current commercial offerings.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #687 of 707
The rule of thumb is 3x parts - my SOHA II was ~$300, so $895 sounds right, with a street price of $750-800.

Now, the Ferrari version is SE, which means $1195, $1k street...
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #688 of 707
It's hard to really base this solely on parts cost. The reason is that some amps have an output coupling cap. If you do a Ferrari version, you can spend about $1K on coupling caps alone to do justice to the SS buffer at driving low Z. Fortunately this amp does not have output caps, which makes it cheaper for those looking for boutique.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #689 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I was wondering, theoretically, what if a company like Grado labs (I'm just using their name as an example) came up with this design, made it, and sold it. How much do you think they would sell it for? I mean the parts and all are under $200, right?... but that would not factor in build cost/manufacturing, fancy enclosures, r&d, advertising and warranty repairs and a profit margin.

Consider the US$350 Grado RA-1. Not far from $20 in parts in a VERY expensive wooden box......
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #690 of 707
unless you had been cap rolling it's very difficult to say what the differences are from standard to modified! unless you had both side by side of course.

Ferrari is the man to ask he, i think, has satisfied both criterion.

I do however know that the wima cap which is part of the kit is a very capable cap and can hold it's own sq wise well above it's price range see: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4674667-post134.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back