Soekris Rev 1 R2R dac Bait and Switch
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kuribo

New Head-Fier
If you are a purchaser of the rev 1, see this thread on DiyAudio:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...cs-comparisons-other-stuff-5.html#post5110663

Original purchasers of the rev 1 dac boards purchased them assuming, based on the initial sales pitch, that they were finished, tested, functions as advertised, products. Only afterwards did Soekris Engineering admit they were beta tests boards with design issues and did not live up to his initial claims. He has refused to offer any refunds, credits, etc. A classic bait and switch.

If you were a victim of Soekris Engineering's dishonest business practices, contact me. I am pursuing a complaint with the Danish equivalent of the Better Business Bureau and would be happy to add others.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Not again, now he is making noise here after his bashing got booted from diyaudio.com, sorry to expose everybody here for that....

He purchased four pcs rev1 dam1021-01 DIY DAC boards in Jan 2015. In Sept 2016 he emailed and asked to return the units for a full refund, as he "was overwhelmed", which I of course couldn't do, those were pretty old boards, the dam1021 was then at rev 4.... Instead I offered to update them for $25 per board, but he declined that.

The dam1021 started life as a test bench for my R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC Technology, it turned out to be great so I decided to offer them to the DIY community at a pretty low cost. Over time it got improved, like all new products, with suggestions for hardware improvements and free firmware updates.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I bet you are sorry and you should be for ripping people off with your false and misleading advertising.

Yes, the original diyaudio.com thread is long because it is all about all the design issues people found with the rev 1. I encourage people to check that out. Notice how Soekris used the diyaudio.com members to debug and improve his product for him, saving him thousands in R&D. Clever.

I emailed and stated clearly that they weren't as advertised. You replied that it was a DIY product and I should fix them myself. Yes, I said I was overwhelmed. DIY doesn't mean fix it yourself!

I did not ask to return them. I asked for a credit on the purchase of the new version or that you repair them. Yes, you offered to repair them- for $100 and postage!

Show me where your original sales ad for the rev 1 says it was a "test bench". It doesn't, rather, it calls it a "reference quality dac" with "sound quality will be the absolute best, better than any Delta Sigma DAC, in class with discrete DAC's from totaldac and msb technology."

You admit it was flawed and can't be compared to other dacs with this comment:

"We all agreed that the stock rev1 was not perfect, but it was really also a test engine for the core R-2R technology, it's not really fair comparing with that one.... "

"Really a test engine", not a reference quality dac. You should have made that clear up front instead of misleading people into thinking it was a finished, professional product. If you had any integrity you would have done the right thing and offered to repair them without charge. Instead you insult and spread more lies. Pretty short sighted over $100 in light of all the time you are wasting hopping around all the internet forums lying to people. Would have been far smarter to just repair them and have a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I would like to update this thread with the following news: Soekris Engineering has agreed to update the boards and return them at their expense. I will post again after I receive them back and report on the experience.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Another update.....Closing in on 3 months now since I shipped the dac boards to Soekris. Waiting for news or their return....Will update again when there is progress.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back