So talk to me about planar magnetic.
Jul 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
I have yet to go down this rabbit hole. I am quite versed with Dynamic Drivers and Balanced Armatures, but not had a chance to experience Planar Magnetic or electrostatic. I know the science behind them, but not the sound compared to their counterparts.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I personally don't find planars to sound that different from a good dynamic driver these days. I'm sure you'll find people that will say they sound "faster" or more coherent due to their electrical characteristics (uniform phase and impedence to the amplifier) but for me it's very subtle these days though it was more noticeable a few decades ago in a headphone.

Electrostats to me do have a linearity to them that is quite noticeable, in that I mean from the low frequencies to the high is a smooth transition and gives a "cut from the same cloth" reproduction of sound that I just don't quite get from other competing technologies.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 7
It really depends on the headphone in regards to planar versus dynamic in my opinion. Planars can usually have really great bass (being defined as powerful and deep). When it comes to the Focal Utopia which is a dynamic driver, that has really excellent bass too... So there can be some generalizations about drivers but it really depends on the headphones in question.

I highly recommend you demoing some planars and electrostats. You might end up loving them! I went through a period where I was stuck on planars, but now I appreciate the sound of E-stats, dynamic, and planar for what they give.

E-stats due to their thin driver membrane can sound incredibly fast. so things like a harmonica or someone playing flamenco guitar would be fantastic since the driver can move forward and back incredibly fast. Sometimes the downside of E-stats is that the bass can be weaker then dynamic drivers or planar, and not give the same amount of "weight" to the sound.

just my 2 cents. Have fun experimenting if you get the chance :)

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 7
I'd have to say that planars offer more of a physical, weighty texture to the sound spectrum. Think in terms of slam, punchiness, body, etc.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd have to say that planars offer more of a physical, weighty texture to the sound spectrum. Think in terms of slam, punchiness, body, etc.
That's pretty much how I feel.

Also, I feel like with planars, I can physically feel the sound a little more, like I can feel the guitar strings as an actual physical vibration, not just the sound. Obviously depends on a lot of things though, certainly including the recording quality. For reference, I'm referring specifically to a 24/96 Jethro Tull album. That said, dynamics are definitely very capable and can probably achieve this as well. I just didn't notice it as much with my K712s as I do with my EL-8Cs.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 7
My planar experience is limited to only the HE-560 and Oppo PM2 so this may not pertain to upscale models like the LCD 3&4 and the HE-1000. I found the listening level of both the HE-560 and PM2 had to exceed 80 db before any "planar magic" occurred. That's totally unacceptable from my perspective, being I'm very concerned about hearing conservation and monitor my listening levels by using an SPL meter.

My dynamic driver headphones T-l, HD800S and Utopia all sound magical at 75 db so I'm sticking with them for the foreseeable future.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Planar is king. Dynamic drivers are better for studio monitoring/mixing and mastering purposes due to having extended bass and high frequencies, and Biocellulose drivers can sound very, very good..but ultimately for pure listening pleasure and enjoyment and the way they sound like speakers in a room - Planar rules! imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back