Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #753 of 15,986
Hopefully (but highly unlikely) they will add HDR pass through. It was already a PITA having to swap the leads from the PSVR box to TV as the PSVR also does not support HDR.

I appreciate there are splitters and other solutions but it makes the whole setup untidy.

Also quite sad is the fact that only one HDMI port is version 2.

For that price and release towards late 2017 I expected a bit more.

I'm still looking forward to the reviews here on head fi but personally I will be waiting for the revised model in 2018:)

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #754 of 15,986
Does anyone know if your position/down payment is transferrable?

I am by no means an expert, but based on what their last Kickstarter update said I'm not sure order position really matters anymore. They said one of the results of pushing back to August was that they are shipping all order at the same time whether you were a KS backer or jumped on a preorder through their website. I also thought that down payments were refundable up until the point that you paid off the final balance. That is what I've been able to gather from reading their website and KS page, but obviously before trying to do anything involving that kind of sum of money you should see if you can get confirmation from Smyth themselves.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #755 of 15,986
Was it Kickstarter or direct pre-purchase?

Am tipping if it was kickstarter then you're at their whim - direct then an email would answer the question.

Either way - an email to them would have results.

A forum post is worth as much as pissing into the wind - you get some feedback, but none of it is edible.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #757 of 15,986

Unfortunately due to a number of hold-ups in the metalwork and moulding manufacturing we are unable to fulfil our original shipping timetable. We now expect to begin shipping sometime August 2017. On the plus side we will now be shipping all Kickstarter and Pre-Sales A16s together, irrespective of pledge level or pre-sale price, and we almost certainly will be able to include the new MDS HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) board in each unit.

I apologise for the delay

Stephen Smyth

That's at least something, but "almost certainly" is not the same thing as certainly.  I had already resigned to it only shipping with 2.0 anyway, but it would be nice to know for sure one way or the other at this point. 

I will be ordering mine in June, but am currently undecided on which version to get yet.  The headphone shape (black) will offer some useful utility in the form of a stand, but it really comes down to the front display. Does anyone know if it can be shut off, or is there just going to be a bunch of flashing LEDs the entire time?  If it can't be turned off, I'll just get the rack mount version and hide it behind a black glass door on my A/V stand.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #759 of 15,986
Does anyone know if this is going to come with a remote control?

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #760 of 15,986
Does anyone know if this is going to come with a remote control?

Q9 on the FAQ says it's remote controllable ... I think bearing in mind the retail price of the A16 compared with the cost of a remote it would be astonishing if they didn't include one.

May 3, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #761 of 15,986
Looking for some opinions. When I paid my down-payment and filled out the questionaire , I stated I wanted the rack mount formfactor; as i have everything in a 15U 19" rack.

2nd guessing that tho. I'm thinking the stand shaped unit would lend itself better to carry to other rooms when I want.

Talk me into it; or into keeping the rackmount unit.

May 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #762 of 15,986
Am going the stand unit.

One of the great things about the system will be being able to use it in other rooms/places to great effect.

To me the rack mount would be a more permanent install, while the stand is more... not portable, but moveable.

May 4, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #763 of 15,986
I'm thinking the stand shaped unit would lend itself better to carry to other rooms when I want. [...] Talk me into it; or into keeping the rackmount unit.

To be honest, I won't be confident that I picked the 'right' form factor until I've had it for a few days so I don't feel in a position to persuade others. The rackmount unit is the safe choice: neat, unobtrusive, integrated, practical. I don't see how it could be a wrong choice, just as long as you have long enough cables to reach your various seated positions. The headphone stand version may be more convenient for rooms where you want to be able to fiddle with it, but I'm going for that version because it's a conversation piece: an oddity. (That's why I'm somewhat disappointed that the headphone stand version is now angular and boxy rather than having that nice curve at the 'shoulders'.)

There's a risk to the headphone stand version that must surely make it the minority choice, though I do take your point that the stand version will be a lot better for carrying from room to room compared to a rack version that is literally screwed into place. You could always leave the rack version freestanding; and if you did that then they would be more or less equivalently difficult to move.

May 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #764 of 15,986
I miss a lot apparently. The headphone stand form factor is no longer curvey? I imagined production costs would be high with that; I guess it's become prohibitively so.

Thanx to both for your opinions.

Edit: ah, just visited the Smythe site. I like it more than before. :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #765 of 15,986
The headphone stand form factor is no longer curvey? I imagined production costs would be high with that; I guess it's become prohibitively so.

I keep having to remind myself that it's nof about the looks, but I'm afraid the final version looks ugly compared to the original. (This isn't 100% finished of course, just a prototype.)

newA16_headstand%20Jan%202017%20440660.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back