Singxer SU-1
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #91 of 129
This post from another forum is giving me pause as to how to get the most from SU-1....any thoughts?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #93 of 129
  This post from another forum is giving me pause as to how to get the most from SU-1....any thoughts?

Don't know if this is what caught your eye but I believe he is talking about **** generation in the sabre dac which gives him two options:
1) use the clock provided by the chip in the SU-1 which is quite good
2) Asynchronously generate a new clock via the dac chip ESS9038

He says that he prefers the sync mode which keeps the clock from the SU-1, which speaks to the quality of the chip used in the unit.
I also personally use the sync clock mode in my Gustard x20 pro (The Auto Clock mode), which derives the clock directly from the I2s input.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #94 of 129
  Thank to all for the reply about leaving the SU1 on 24/7.

I'm using my MBP>microRendu> SU-1 KTE (i2s)>Spring KTE>BHSE>009 using JRiver MC-21.
This sounds so incredibly right, that it's wrong! After adding the SU1 KTE to the chain tonight and letting it run for about 5-6hrs I was immediately taken back by what I was heard when I started listening. Everything sounds like it's on a much grander scale! From the slam and control of percussion (and I mean slam that made me look at my rig in awe) and the clarity of the fine details which are extremely focused and clearly audible and the imaging and sound-stage is perceived in such a way I've never heard before. I'm actually afraid that I have reached the end! And I'm not kidding!

What I don't understand is when I had the SU1 (non-KTE no mR) in my chain previously, I didn't care for it. To be quite honest, I didn't think the i2s performed as well as the USB input did? Could it be the KTE mods to the SU1 making that much of a difference? Could it be the mR+KTE SU-1 combination? I don't know what the answer is right now, but I do know my system did not sound like this with my previous SU1 or I obviously wouldn't have eliminated it from my chain. For now I'm going to sit back in awe and enjoy my music. I definitely need to listen to all my options and find out as too why this is, and understand the reasons for what I'm hearing now that I didn't hear before.

Glad you're getting a good improvement this time around Joseph. I haven't heard the SU-1, but the KTE SU-1 was a good improvement to my ears over USB straight into the Spring DAC (even though I was quite impressed with the USB implementation of this DAC).

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #95 of 129

Glad you're getting a good improvement this time around Joseph. I haven't heard the SU-1, but the KTE SU-1 was a good improvement to my ears over USB straight into the Spring DAC (even though I was quite impressed with the USB implementation of this DAC).

Thank you, Peter.
I too am impressed with the USB in the Spring.
I'm definitely finding the KTE to be a real nice improvement was well. Or is it both the mR/KTE combination? I'll keep you posted on that.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #96 of 129
BTW what IIS cables are best to output the SU-1 to DAC....hopefully not too expensive?

I recommend the Apollo AV Lightning V2. It is hands down the best affordable cable for i2S I have ever used. This is coming from the guy who has had the WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 and Kordz LUX.

To me, based on design, material, and prolonged listening sessions, this $15 cable is on par with those I've owned previous that were well over $200. I would not recommend conventional (rounded) designs as it can compromise signal fidelity due to groups of wires being bundled too close to one another. This generates crosstalk, radiation, noise bleeding that occures from one signal to the next. This poor influence on signal attenuation will increase jitter. Some of which can become audible.

I'm definitely finding the KTE to be a real nice improvement was well.

I'm quite surprised the KTE version was such a difference for you over the original. Even when I bypass the stock power supply with a super low 0.1uV of noise supply, the improvements for me are incredibly subtle. Still, I'm super glad you are able to be appreciative of the Singxer SU-1's ability in your setup now! I recommend using a good HDMI cable.

I only use i2S so I blocked all of my unused ports.
You might want to try for fun.

Just make sure to remove the center pin from the BNC dust caps as you wouldn't want to 'short' these.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #97 of 129
I'm quite surprised the KTE version was such a difference for you over the original. Even when I bypass the stock power supply with a super low 0.1uV of noise supply, the improvements for me are incredibly subtle. Still, I'm super glad you are able to be appreciative of the Singxer SU-1's ability in your setup now! I recommend using a good HDMI cable.

You might want to try for fun.
Just make sure to remove the center pin from the BNC dust caps as you wouldn't want to 'short' these.

I was quite surprised too! Definitely didn't feel this way about the SU1 in my chain, or as I mentioned, I never would have eliminated it.
I'm enjoying my system so much that I don't even want to do any testing with removing anything right now,  but I will eventually.
I have all of my inputs/outputs blocked (except for the BNC thanks for the tip about the center pin) that aren't in use on all of my equipment to protect them from dust.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #98 of 129

I just received a box full of "dust caps" from China including BNC caps.  I hadn't thought to yank that center pin.  Thank you for the tip!  
I'll be sure to do that before installing them.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #99 of 129
Energy I have that apolloav cable shipping to me so I will either confirm your ears findings and say energy is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children or I will say jaccuse and lay my vengeance upon him

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #101 of 129
We are weak :)

I also ordered the hdmi apollo v2 0,5m, i'm not a cable believer and I am currently using a generic hdmi cable of 1m. We will see but it's not much to pay for and the cable will be shorter and flat ! thanks for the tips !

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #102 of 129
I just received a box full of "dust caps" from China including BNC caps.  I hadn't thought to yank that center pin.  Thank you for the tip!  
I'll be sure to do that before installing them.

Any time!
I checked continuity and found it strange how the ground and center pin touched. Realized it was a shorting dust cap and intended for other purposes. The signal and ground should never touch. Not only will that not help for blocking out noise, but it'll ruin everything. :)

Please don't yank it out haha. The inside end has threading so you can jump clamp it and twist counter clockwise.

Energy I have that apolloav cable shipping to me so I will either confirm your ears findings and say energy is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children or I will say jaccuse and lay my vengeance upon him

Haha, I'm glad you're now part of the clone trooper!
Keep the cable as short as you can. I personally use the shortest length, the 0.5M.

I've experimented with so many cables so you won't have to.

There are definitely higher material cables from companies like WireWorld or Kordz that offer thicker 24 gauge wires, 12% silver, or paladium plated connectors, or even twice as many conductors. Anyone can feel free to buy those if they wish! For me however, those extras yielded no benefits in i2S transmission. Sonically I heard no difference. YMMW.

In terms of material science, these better materials are more likely to benefit an analog cable. Digital cables on the other hand can reach its limits very early. If it's bandwidth is met and it's signal runs strong and uncompromised, it delivers. i2S over HDMI however is a tad different than regular HDMI. I don't believe it has any error correction and so a bad signal or one affected by jitter can be heard. This is the reason why I recommend a good cable.

Flat Design - helps isolate main signals from other 'unimportant' signals from influencing it's integrity.

Double Shielding - further isolates the main signal conductors from being affected by crosstalk from nearby wires as well as electro magnetic interference from outside.

Twisted Pairs - dual differential helps to remove common mode noise.

Silver Plating - harnesses the natural phenomenon of 'skin effect' in which the electrons travel predominantly on the outer layer of a conductor. Oxidized silver is also still conductive unlike copper. The two together helps provide a strong and long lasting signal.

Insulation - Polyethylene is super flexible, an excellent insulator, and unlike teflon, holds very low amounts of tribolectric charge. For example, like with plastics or rubber balloons holding amounts of static electricity, these insulators can also hold similar charges in which gets released back into the conductor's signal whenever it reaches a specific amount. These discharges causes issues for digital cables and can have an adverse affect on jitter.

Wire Size - a stock HDMI cable is 28 gauge and can run fairly long without distorting in image quality. A certified cable can go up to as high as 45 feet! For i2S, 26 gauge is already overkill let alone the 24-23 guage offered by WireWorld.

This is why I can't spot any sound quality improvements between the Apollo Lightning V2 and those from WireWorld. The two cables features a flat design and made with similar high end materials. Polyethylene insulated, silver plated, double shielded, thicker wire, oxygen free coppper, and a metalized connector.

Only real difference is the WireWorld has a thicker wire but for i2S, it doesn't matter since i2S is made for short lengths. By the time the wire guage offers any benefits, it would be way past i2S transmission spec and only beneficial for HDMI TV.

If money was of no concern, I would still prefer the Apollo in my chain. It's slighly thinner and has a strain relief which makes bending and equipment hookup more convenient.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #103 of 129
The eagle has landed.  Got my 0.5M and 2M (for computer) apollo av cables.  very sturdy and thick.  the shell behind the connector looks metal but it's just plastic.  Makes my ultra thin monoprice hdmi cable look so tiny.  Can't tell how it affects the sound yet, just plugged it in.  But it certainly doesn't sound worse!

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #104 of 129
I've experimented with so many cables so you won't have to.

Hello Energy,

now you'll have to advise us for a good cheap usb cable :wink: I'm using the one that was sent with my Singxer, don't know if it's some kind of generic cable or not... What is really important for USB ? inner shielding between DATA and 5V ?

Thanks !

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #105 of 129
I switched from speakers to headphones and the apollo av cable is definitely an upgrade from monoprice :p  quieter, less harshness in treble.  with speakers it's hard to hear a difference.  using hd800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back