Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
May 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2,116 of 2,282

I have a general question for you guys.  Is it possible to adjust the sound of these headphones to an optimal level using the foobar equalizer?

I don't use EQ anymore these days, but I do use foobar as my main music player on computer. I think SRH1440 seems to be pretty responsive with foobar equalizer so why not.

I was just wondering if you would be able to adjust closer to exactly what you want with the foobar EQ than with the pot luck you get with pads and cables and stuff.....
confused_face(1).gif

Just wondering??????

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2,119 of 2,282
In terms of clarity and soundstage, does SRH1840 win over HD600?

I have not heard the Sennheiser but what i do have is the SRH 940, SRH 1840 and Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen. I can in terms of soundstaging 940 compared to 1840 the 1840 is the winner among the 2. Yes the 940 is details but most of the time it reaches to a point that clarity becomes sibilance.

Compared to Beyerdynamic T1.2 it is the T1.2 hands down. If you have heard T1.2, 1840 will sound so compressed and forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,120 of 2,282
In terms of clarity and soundstage, does SRH1840 win over HD600?

In my opinion, yes. I get a certain 3-dimensionally listening to certain well recorded songs that I didn't get with the HD600 when I auditioned them head to head.

Having said that, about 4 months have passed since that audition, and in that time I've spent many hours listening to the 1840s on my own rigs, while my audition of the HD600 was less than 30 mins on the store's. So it's definitely possible I missed something with the HD600

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2,121 of 2,282
In my opinion, yes. I get a certain 3-dimensionally listening to certain well recorded songs that I didn't get with the HD600 when I auditioned them head to head.

Having said that, about 4 months have passed since that audition, and in that time I've spent many hours listening to the 1840s on my own rigs, while my audition of the HD600 was less than 30 mins on the store's. So it's definitely possible I missed something with the HD600

Do they do metal good? I'm into symphonic metal/djent and other very complex pieces where open back is a good idea, but sounds congested on many headphones, even HD600.

Only HP150 came close (not even Fidelio x2!), but I'm still searching for "that" headphone.

I'll have a chance to demo them in a shop in a few weeks, but just can't wait. :D

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,122 of 2,282
As an absolute, no... However, it depends where you're coming from with previous / current equipment, they definitely bring a different style to the table.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #2,123 of 2,282

Do they do metal good? I'm into symphonic metal/djent and other very complex pieces where open back is a good idea, but sounds congested on many headphones, even HD600.

Only HP150 came close (not even Fidelio x2!), but I'm still searching for "that" headphone.

I'll have a chance to demo them in a shop in a few weeks, but just can't wait. :D

In my humble opinion, you should try first the 1840 with your gear but as per my hearing and equipment, the sound will be forward thus creating a more direct/in to your face presentation.

By the way my gears are Musical Fidelity VDACII and Burson Soloist SL with Chord Crimson Interconnects.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #2,124 of 2,282

I they do metal ok...But, I would recommend the Audeze Titanium or Sine more so for metal....I love the 1840s but I never go to them for metal

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,125 of 2,282
In my humble opinion, you should try first the 1840 with your gear but as per my hearing and equipment, the sound will be forward thus creating a more direct/in to your face presentation.

By the way my gears are Musical Fidelity VDACII and Burson Soloist SL with Chord Crimson Interconnects.

I don't listen to metal, so I'm not qualified to answer the question. However, I do listen to AC/DC, Zeppelin, and other electric guitar centered rock, and I dig it.

I concur with the characterization of the 1840s as "forward". For me, is is a good thing, especially for rock. It gives the electric guitars a sense of realism, brings out their electrified character. As for their ability to characterize complex sounds, they do admirably with orchestral music.

They aren't Audezes, but they aren't priced at that level either. In comparison to others in the 300-500 that I've listened to, these take the cake. Of course, if at all possible try before you buy! YMMV

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,126 of 2,282
You have to try it first as much as possible if you like the sound or not. :)

SRH 1840 is a good headphone amp, though it may sound light (on bass) and a bit forward (on midrange) and sometimes sibilant when paired with bright amp, overall it is a recommended headphones for its price.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,127 of 2,282
I don't think the mid range is forward, it's very neutral. It actually might be the headphone with the most neutral mids that is currently in production.

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,129 of 2,282
May i kindy ask what is your current set up with the 1840, maybe i could try it out and have some ideas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Chord Hugo + Auralic Taurus MKII. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,130 of 2,282
If you don't mind I wanted to ask.

I'm replacing my Shure 940 because of the hinges problem (for the third time
frown.gif
)... so I'm planning to get it replaced with a different Shure model. I truly love the clarity and detail that comes out of the 940s, but I no longer want to deal with the hinges problem so I'm considering getting either the Shure 1540 or 1840. I do agree the 940s sometimes could be a bit treble oriented, but for me detail and clarity is worth the price.

Have you had the chance to test the Shure 1540? If you had, which model (1540 or 1840) you think would better suit my needs for detailed and clear sound?

Just in case the music I hear the most is jazz, classical, acoustic, female vocals and some triphop (portishead, massive attack, etc...)

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back