Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,031 of 6,059
Today at CanJam London, my "mission" was to try several IEM to find one that best match with my A&K SP1000 SS, and... at least as good as the SHURE but that will not need the Shure extra amplifier to carry around...

- The LCD-i4 surprisingly needed more power than the SP1000 can provide. It more power hungry than my "big" HE-X ! Volume was loud enough, but sound was "flat" out of the SP1000 (I could not try balanced since Audeze do not propose a balanced cable, which is STUPID). The LCD-i4 definitively need an external amp ! Powered by the HUGO 2 if became a totally different animal !

- Very very disapointed by the sound of the Empire Ears Zeus XR ! And I did not finded it confortable, with the adele option is it really BIG.

- 64 Audio U18 and Fourté were very pleasant, and confortable. U18 more accurate and Fourté, more... fun. But the fun of the fourte IMO is reached at the price of a lack of reality. They add something that is not in the recording... to please us :wink:

- the SHURE KSE 1500 electrostatic again was my final choice. They are as enjoyable as the fourte while being Faithful to the reality of the recording. No artificial input in the sound. My first reaction when I heard the SHURE out of my SP1000 was "HOW SWEET !" Finally my SP1000 has find his perfect match and is 100% musical. And then when I listened to the intro of Mahler 3rd symphony I was shocked by the extreme energy and Bass that this system can provide. It can be a Sweety or a Monster...depend of the music. Plus they are so small that they are super confortable. They fit 100% inside the ear.

AND SO....I BOUGHT TODAY ON THE SHOW A SHURE KSE1500 :ksc75smile:

Conclusion: I failed in my quest, It seems that this extra energizer box is the price to pay to get such a sweeeet, punchy and accurate sound ! :ksc75smile:

Welcome kse club.
With kse, after 7 months listening I wonder how I can feel the different of copper wire and silve wire, which I though I couldnt. It is a short 3.5 to 3.5 interconnector.
Feel pitty right after I bought Ak120ii. I wish it was a choice with Ak380.

For kse, it is a not good thing with out Balance analog input. I cant guess how good it will be if having it

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #3,032 of 6,059
Welcome kse club.
With kse, after 7 months listening I wonder how I can feel the different of copper wire and silve wire, which I though I couldnt. It is a short 3.5 to 3.5 interconnector.
Feel pitty right after I bought Ak120ii. I wish it was a choice with Ak380.

For kse, it is a not good thing with out Balance analog input. I cant guess how good it will be if having it

I agree that SHURE should upgrade the KSE's Amp to offer Balanced line-in. They should also make the shape of the amplifier a wider and flatter square box to fit more easily under a DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,033 of 6,059
Found the perfect tips for my KSE1500. Comply 100 Comfort. Perfect seal and sound across the whole spectrum. Just wonderful...... :sunglasses:

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,034 of 6,059
Found the perfect tips for my KSE1500. Comply 100 Comfort. Perfect seal and sound across the whole spectrum. Just wonderful...... :sunglasses:

I finally reverted from my triple flange to some classic big foam tips...

But I do not remember if there were those supplied with the KS1500 of coming from my old collection of tips ? Indeed I find them quite fragile and would like where to get some more same tips...

--> Could someone please tell me if they also had those tips shipped with their KSE1500 ?

foarm tips1.jpg foarm tips2.jpg foarm tips3.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3,035 of 6,059
I agree that SHURE should upgrade the KSE's Amp to offer Balanced line-in. They should also make the shape of the amplifier a wider and flatter square box to fit more easily under a DAP.

The AK120II is virtually a perfect match to the KSE's amp -- it's almost exactly the same width, and just a little taller.

I'm tempted to upgrade to something like the SP1000, but I think I'll be sticking with the AK120II for quite a while just because of how well it physically pairs with the KSE amp! The two of them, combined, fit nicely in my pocket (provided I'm not wearing tight jeans).

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,036 of 6,059

But I do not remember if there were those supplied with the KS1500 of coming from my old collection of tips ? Indeed I find them quite fragile and would like where to get some more same tips...

--> Could someone please tell me if they also had those tips shipped with their KSE1500 ?

you can get the large tips for about $15 at Amazon

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #3,037 of 6,059

You´re right, they´re original Shure foamies. You can order them online directly from the Shure.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #3,038 of 6,059
I´ve got some InAirs coming today for my KSE1500, Layla II and FAD FI-BA-SS 25. They´re supposed to sound more "audiophile" than Comply and others. We´ll see......:wink:

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #3,039 of 6,059
you can get the large tips for about $15 at Amazon

Thank you very much. I am not sure though that they are the same since my tips have 3 marks in the back while the one showed on Amazone show only 2 marks ? unless Amazone do not use the right picture ?

foarm tips3.jpg

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #3,040 of 6,059
I´ve got some InAirs coming today for my KSE1500, Layla II and FAD FI-BA-SS 25. They´re supposed to sound more "audiophile" than Comply and others. We´ll see......:wink:

Let us know how they fit and sound, and show us picture, when they arrive. This will be very interesting.

Do you have already a link to the exact tips that you ordered ?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #3,041 of 6,059
The AK120II is virtually a perfect match to the KSE's amp -- it's almost exactly the same width, and just a little taller.

I'm tempted to upgrade to something like the SP1000, but I think I'll be sticking with the AK120II for quite a while just because of how well it physically pairs with the KSE amp! The two of them, combined, fit nicely in my pocket (provided I'm not wearing tight jeans).

Ak100ii is 100% match the size of kse amp.
Here is my way to stick ak120ii to kse and diy interconnector
20170722_140620.jpg

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #3,042 of 6,059
IMG_5560.jpg IMG_5561.jpg

Add a MOJO and you still have a nice brick :)

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3,043 of 6,059
Let us know how they fit and sound, and show us picture, when they arrive. This will be very interesting.

Do you have already a link to the exact tips that you ordered ?

getinairs.com, but for me, they´re no competition to the Complys. I´ve only tried them for a few minutes. They´re very soft, but you can´t compress them like the Complys, and so the seal and sound quality is much worse. I guess that´s why they´re much cheaper than Complys.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,044 of 6,059
Ak100ii is 100% match the size of kse amp.
Here is my way to stick ak120ii to kse and diy interconnector

I don't use the cases, to be honest. I found with the cases, the combo is a little bit too bulky for my pockets. Without the cases, I had the AK120II/KSE combo in my shorts pocket for a two-hour walk last night and there was no issue at all from a comfort perspective. Because I use them case-less, I use a strap rather than velcro to attach them.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,045 of 6,059
getinairs.com, but for me, they´re no competition to the Complys. I´ve only tried them for a few minutes. They´re very soft, but you can´t compress them like the Complys, and so the seal and sound quality is much worse. I guess that´s why they´re much cheaper than Complys.

Good info : we will not waste time & money on those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back