Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,026 of 3,106
Oh the flat panel thing with the small dimple you mean in that RANK jobber?

For the actual vintage DT990 ( 600 ohm ) I did a ton of research on those for pad equivalents to the old stock ones ( mine were well used pads and that era's stuff is not sold anymore as an exact part )
I settled on some 3rd party ones, and with those I'm certainly not hearing anything home-fi. >*** in this exact pad swap.
Bass is large, top end any more it would be no good. These must be shallower pads that what you tried GREQ.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,027 of 3,106

For the actual vintage DT990 ( 600 ohm ) I did a ton of research on those for pad equivalents to the old stock ones ( mine were well used pads and that era's stuff is not sold anymore as an exact part )
I settled on some 3rd party ones, and with those I'm certainly not hearing anything home-fi. >*** in this exact pad swap.
Bass is large, top end any more it would be no good. These must be shallower pads that what you tried GREQ.

Anything shallower than Philips SHP2500 pads and my ears would be touching the baffle.
Next you'll be teaching us how to fold our ears flat against our skulls for a better sound and fit. :bow:* plz sensei*

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #2,028 of 3,106
could be down to the pad filling then perhaps.
Too many variables in this hobby

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #2,029 of 3,106

From your pad rolling experience of the vintage Beyer DT990, which 3rd party/after market pad matches the original the best in terms of sound?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #2,031 of 3,106
Man. I spent a couple of hours fitting my Fostex T20v1's with a bajillion different combinations of of dampening materials to try and dissuade the low mids from dominating. Nothing works. Such a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Have you tried Shure SRH840 pads?

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,032 of 3,106
Man. I spent a couple of hours fitting my Fostex T20v1's with a bajillion different combinations of of dampening materials to try and dissuade the low mids from dominating. Nothing works. Such a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Do the low mids make it sound congested? I might have headphones that are exactly how you and I, don't want it to be.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,033 of 3,106
Do the low mids make it sound congested? I might have headphones that are exactly how you and I, don't want it to be.

ooh ooh, i know! i know!... Smeggy Thunderpants.
Ok... so what do I win?

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,034 of 3,106
ooh ooh, i know! i know!... Smeggy Thunderpants.
Ok... so what do I win?
Sumbadeh
Google Search "Smeggy Thunderpants"
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRLLLLD CLAAAASSSS HEDPHONES

World starr

5/5 STARS

The diy that all nerds be freaky bout

Head-fi Smeggy Thunderpants Video Unavailable

The desolation of smeggy

0 info.

Actually. My one is probably made by not Smeggy, or am I overestimating. Looks identical though. No its my setup duh. Just plugs into my smartphone and its pretty cool. But my Leslie's are just dreamy. Not dreamy, like looking at the shapes of night sky stars. bright sounding but smooth. Does I would be melancholic to sell it but I'm happy to get more cash for other stuff.

The earth's crust > metal detector > airport headphones

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,035 of 3,106
Have you tried Shure SRH840 pads?
I've yet to put any real cash into the whole replacement pad thing. That rabbit hole scares me. I fit my pair with some Koss ProAAA pads, and it does a bit for the soundstage and brings out a tiny bit of upper detail.
Congested is somewhat accurate, but not exactly. Like, they sound really good to my ears, but the low mids and high bass are really forward, so you miss out on the low bass almost entirely. Other Head-Fiers have referred to the sound as "honky" and I agree. The stock dampening cuts the highs too much, but otherwise seems perfectly balanced. All of my other attempts made the sound worse or fleshed out the top end while pulling the low end out. Not my cup of tea.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,036 of 3,106
I've yet to put any real cash into the whole replacement pad thing. That rabbit hole scares me. I fit my pair with some Koss ProAAA pads, and it does a bit for the soundstage and brings out a tiny bit of upper detail.

Congested is somewhat accurate, but not exactly. Like, they sound really good to my ears, but the low mids and high bass are really forward, so you miss out on the low bass almost entirely. Other Head-Fiers have referred to the sound as "honky" and I agree. The stock dampening cuts the highs too much, but otherwise seems perfectly balanced. All of my other attempts made the sound worse or fleshed out the top end while pulling the low end out. Not my cup of tea.
Do you have EQ settings I should try out?

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,037 of 3,106

Then I would say it's about time you did.
The Shure pads on the T20RPmk1 are definitely worth a try. Of course I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I think they were the only pads I could use on them.
They gave the bass and treble a necessary boost, and seemed to give the mids more room to breathe. Like a less congested sound.

We are talking about the T20RP mk1 right? not the 1970's T20? :p

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,038 of 3,106
Then I would say it's about time you did.
The Shure pads on the T20RPmk1 are definitely worth a try. Of course I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I think they were the only pads I could use on them.
They gave the bass and treble a necessary boost, and seemed to give the mids more room to breathe. Like a less congested sound.

We are talking about the T20RP mk1 right? not the 1970's T20? :p
I actually bought a pair of shure pads for my t20rp Mk3s....
I thought the T20 was the T20rpmk1. I'm talking the old monitoring cans from the 70s. Mickey mouse cups.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,039 of 3,106
IMG_20170616_123457695.jpg IMG_20170616_123501332.jpg IMG_20170616_123505495.jpg IMG_20170616_123530956.jpg

Finally received the Beyerdynamic Studio.
They are exactly like the DT220 and share the same Magnetic circuit of the DT440. Condition is almost mint expect for one long scratch visible in the pictures. The Earpads have zero wear on them. Cable is same as the dual entry DT220.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2,040 of 3,106
I actually bought a pair of shure pads for my t20rp Mk3s....
I thought the T20 was the T20rpmk1. I'm talking the old monitoring cans from the 70s. Mickey mouse cups.

Derp... I should've asked for clarity
Although, since the driver and pads didn't really change much from T20 to T20RP (mk1), the Shure pads should theorhetically sound pretty decent on the T20... so it's worth a shot to see what it sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back