Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #976 of 2,460
I was using the M2s with the Hifiman RE2000 today, great little pairing (my usual player is the Audio Opus #2)

Beautiful photo!

The Player itself looks quite nimble and portable. RE2000 really do look like they are an ultimate dynamic IEM. Curious for more impressions about the sonics of both!

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #977 of 2,460
Beautiful photo!

The Player itself looks quite nimble and portable. RE2000 really do look like they are an ultimate dynamic IEM. Curious for more impressions about the sonics of both!

A review of the M2s will be up towards the end of this month on the Hifiheadphones website, the RE2000 are mine and not affiliated with Hifiheadphones, so an independent review will be written once I've cleared some of my backlog, it'll be posted on Head-fi.

Currently burning them in, but they do sound very good, whether they are $2000 good, it's debatable, but they really are a high end IEM. The dynamics and timbre you get from a single dynamic driver is excellent, you might get more micro detail from multiple BA drivers, but not they are as coherent and effortless sounding.

Also the M2s is a great little player for the money, super easy to use, plenty of gain and really nice size and build, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget DAP (recommended to my brother who will now save up for one).

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #978 of 2,460
A review of the M2s will be up towards the end of this month on the Hifiheadphones website, the RE2000 are mine and not affiliated with Hifiheadphones, so an independent review will be written once I've cleared some of my backlog, it'll be posted on Head-fi.

Currently burning them in, but they do sound very good, whether they are $2000 good, it's debatable, but they really are a high end IEM. The dynamics and timbre you get from a single dynamic driver is excellent, you might get more micro detail from multiple BA drivers, but not they are as coherent and effortless sounding.

Also the M2s is a great little player for the money, super easy to use, plenty of gain and really nice size and build, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget DAP (recommended to my brother who will now save up for one).
Since you own the RE2000 i would suggest to buy your brother a black M2s and give it to him with love as a nice present.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #979 of 2,460
I know it's all about the sound but those RE2000 are really ugly, like beat with the ultimate uglystick ugly. The m2s on the other hand, well she loves the camera for sure :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #980 of 2,460
I know it's all about the sound but those RE2000 are really ugly, like beat with the ultimate uglystick ugly. The m2s on the other hand, well she loves the camera for sure :)

Woah

I actually like both of them, both are quite presentable.

Very few IEMs look bad to me actually. This might be biased due to their sound, but I am not a fan of Beats and their designs in general - look plasticky to me. Re2000 looks sturdy, looks premium and looks well built as far as I can tell.

EDIT::: I've only seen Re2000 in photos so far.

They seem to have an oval body shape, but if that works well with their ergonomics while worn, it is for the better

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #981 of 2,460
Woah

I actually like both of them, both are quite presentable.

Very few IEMs look bad to me actually. This might be biased due to their sound, but I am not a fan of Beats and their designs in general - look plasticky to me. Re2000 looks sturdy, looks premium and looks well built as far as I can tell.

EDIT::: I've only seen Re2000 in photos so far.

They seem to have an oval body shape, but if that works well with their ergonomics while worn, it is for the better

lol it's ok, just an observation, maybe it's the goofy H logos or the gynormous strain relief IDK, I don't like the look of their daps either, but hey that's just my own opinion and iv'e owned some really ugly gear myself :wink: Actually a lot of the older rio, creative, ,mpio, iriver daps were pretty damn ugly compared to the modern stuff.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #982 of 2,460
Making a separate beta thread for bug fixes and beta testing would be a good idea. I agree that some of these initial bugs might scare some buyers off, but Shanling has been nothing short of amazing with communicating and resolving issues that have been brought up.

The issue that happened just a page or two ago, maybe it was caused by a bug, or like Shanling mentioned...several times...firmware was downgraded the wrong way, but it was more of a customer support issue. I, personally, would have rather seen that stuff hashed out in PM or email or phone between customer and supplier. Then, when all is resolved, whether the outcome was good or bad, bring it up on the forum. It just looked very...whiny...how it was brought to Shanling's attention.

I agree on all accounts :thumbsup:

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #984 of 2,460
This is great news, thanks!

I would add that on the Aune M1s which I also reviewed, the differences between filters were barely noticeable.
I hope you can make the differences quite strong if possible?
Humble request~ ^-^

Wonderful~
I might actually have to buy one now! :D

Are there any owners of the M2 or M5 who can discuss about the differences between the filters (and what filters there are)?

and @Shanling , will you be doing the filters exactly as you did on the M2 and M5? Or any planned differences this time round? :)
Filters would be nice. Actually, VERY nice.

One of the best converters I had pleasure to work with came with TC Electronic System 6000 mainframe (studio processing device).

I actually stopped using Apogees after discovering its AD-DA converters, and especially different LPF modes they had to offer, the difference was subtle yet noticeable and quite... musical, it was quite cool to match the sound of the source (when recording, studio engineer not audiophile here, sorry) with a filter profile that would complement it, and they were ONLY 18 bit!

I normally shy away from using EQ, but have few headphones that have quite different sonic signature, I think it would be great to be able to compensate for some idiosyncrasies they exhibit by changing filters (i.e. make Tennmak Pro's a tad brighter or tame ZS5's high end a bit).

Extract from S6000 manual follows:
image.png

image.png

@Shanling, any chance you are working along the same lines?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #985 of 2,460
lol it's ok, just an observation, maybe it's the goofy H logos or the gynormous strain relief IDK, I don't like the look of their daps either, but hey that's just my own opinion and iv'e owned some really ugly gear myself :wink: Actually a lot of the older rio, creative, ,mpio, iriver daps were pretty damn ugly compared to the modern stuff.

No worries!

I am curious how RE2000 looks in person!

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #986 of 2,460
Introducing Shanling L2 USB cable

USB transport is one of the most popular features of M2s player, easily turning it into amazing music source for wide range of DACs. But search for appropriate USB cable can be tiring, so we decided to develop our own!

Build by hand from top quality materials, Furukawa 6N silver plated copper wires from Japan. Highly practical thanks to angled connectors (USB C to Micro USB). And working flawlessly with Shanling players and wide range of DACs.

Available from 23.6.2017 for just 25 USD

19396796_832384210251500_672613289867972163_n.jpg

Last edited:
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #988 of 2,460
FiiO threads have been quite... noisy... about beta testing - the beta eventually got separated from the current firmware and all went well in the end.

As I mention, I would be glad, if all beta talk was kept in HiBy Link thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...-m1-m2s-wireless-control-for-your-dap.852725/

Great to hear! Lookig forward to a speedy resolution!

I today realised, I hear exactly the same thing occur on my Mojo with M2s too, never bothered me, but we will definitely look into it.

Filters would be nice. Actually, VERY nice.

@Shanling, any chance you are working along the same lines?

We are looking into making more filters available for M2s. But we want to make them the right way, so they actually have reasonable impact on sound. Will see how it goes.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #989 of 2,460
Introducing Shanling L2 USB cable

USB transport is one of the most popular features of M2s player, easily turning it into amazing music source for wide range of DACs. But search for appropriate USB cable can be tiring, so we decided to develop our own!

Build by hand from top quality materials, Furukawa 6N silver plated copper wires from Japan. Highly practical thanks to angled metal connectors (USB C to Micro USB). And working flawlessly with Shanling players and wide range of DACs.

Available from 23.6.2017 for just 25 USD

19396796_832384210251500_672613289867972163_n.jpg

Yes is this going to be available on Aliexpress- shenzenaudio store and amazon ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back