Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
May 29, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #723 of 2,460
Nice to learn that my headfi buddies in Singapore will be able to buy M2s soon!

2x10-Christmas-Party-Animated-gif-the-office-8142002-325-188.gif

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #729 of 2,460
my armored rig! :relaxed:

What's the Mojo case, bro?

Oh my! :0 How's it sounding with mojo?

Okay, since there's been quite a bit of discussion surrounding M2s + Mojo, I took it upon myself to generate some objective data tonight.

I hooked my Mojo up to both Cayin N3 and Shanling M2s via USB Out, plugged my Campfire Orion into Mojo, Plugged my Dayton IMM-06 measurement rig into my iPhone 5s, coupled the Orion to the IMM-06, fired up the AudioTools app's FFt module, played a hi-res Pink Noise file from a Chesky headphone testing album, set the volume to ~90dB, and let the FFT average the output for 40 seconds per channel, averaged the channels to get a L/R average for each source, and finally loaded FR curves for both sources.

I hear you all saying, enough of the mumbo-jumbo, Nikolaus. Why did you do all that, what the heck does it all mean, and why should I care? Let me take stab at answering, shall we?

Pink Noise is random noise that has equal energy per octave, so it's a good source file to use when measuring IEM. I've done it many time's and posted results in @crinacle's IEM measurement thread (LINK). Measuring Pink Noise output from both M2s+Mojo and N3+Mojo allowed me to visualize in the FR curve below what my ears would be hearing if I was listening to instead of measuring my Orion. Using the AudioTools app not only let me measure the output, it also let me overlay the FR curves to visualize any differences in the output. Now the important part, which is the answer to why you should care and that's because there is no difference between the two FR curves and the Orion's curve looks as expected given my past measurements. Ok, there are slight differences, but I can almost certainly guarantee that those are due to the variability of how I seated the IEM for measurement and would not be audible. Heck, I've measured some pretty darn expensive IEM with more variation across L/R channels than there is in the graph below, lol.

But I digress... The main takeaway is that in this test, there was no measurable difference between Mojo's output when either using M2s or N3 as transport.

Shanling M2s vs Cayin N3 USB Out to Mojo with CFA Orion.jpg

I hope that this exercise was helpful and puts this issue to rest. If needed, I can verify that other sources respond similarly but I honestly don't think that necessary given the clear results of the test above.

May 30, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #731 of 2,460
I'm enjoying it as transport - it's small and easy to navigate. I haven't really used it as stand alone dap. Loving this stack!

I think @abitdeef was curious if you're hearing bass boost when using M2s as source for Mojo which one user has noted. That's been a hot topic on the thread recently, causing some fear which I'm trying to dispel with my measurements in the post above.

May 30, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #732 of 2,460
I think @abitdeef was curious if you're hearing bass boost when using M2s as source for Mojo which one user has noted. That's been a hot topic on the thread recently, causing some fear which I'm trying to dispel with my measurements in the post above.

I agree with you - i don't hear any bass boost / muddy bass. Just tried the M2s as stand alone and played a few Charlie Wilson songs. To my ears, the bass are pretty much the same.

May 30, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #733 of 2,460
I agree with you - i don't hear any bass boost / muddy bass. Just tried the M2s as stand alone and played a few Charlie Wilson songs. To my ears, the bass are pretty much the same.

Thanks for confirming. Don't want peeps to get scared off from buying M2s of they intend to use with Mojo, especially when it sounds as expected to me.

May 30, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #734 of 2,460

Yes exactly, thanks for the taking the time to do the tests Nik, I will be ordering mojo as soon as I get my cable from China. :) I mean I was going to get it anyways as I have a couple of sources, but m2s is really nice to operate and of course is the perfect size.

I'm pretty excited to try the mojo given it's rep. I had been out of the hobby for quite a while and was using just my old 2nd gen nano and my rock boxed clip, but the fiio x3 got me started again and the new 'HD' wave has me spending money like a sailor on shore leave :)

Anyways I think m2s + mojo will keep me happy for quite a while, so then I can concentrate on headphones. Cha ching!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back