Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
May 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #676 of 2,460
@tiralex I'm very curious about how things will end up with your order, since I'm thinking of ordering a M2s from the same eBay seller and I'm from Europe too (Italy).
But I'm in no hurry. I'll wait to hear from our little guinea pig first. :hamster::grin:

Anyway, I'm new to Head-Fi and HQ audio. I currently listen to my music on my mediocre (at least on the audio side) Nexus 6P modded with Viper4Arise, my PC with its mediocre integrated sound card and a couple of crappy IEMs. That's it.
Now, since my main wired IEM broke, I ordered some of the most praised low budget chinese IEMs, namely: URBANFUN HiFi, ROCK Zircon and Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD.
I'd also like to get a higher quality audio device to fully enjoy my FLAC albums and premium music streaming services. I'm thinking of getting this Shanling M2s.
My main genres are metal and hard rock, but sometimes I listen to early jazz, classical music and retrowave.
Would I get a significant improvement in terms of sound quality compared to my current "rig"?

My only concern is that, since the M2s has such a high output impedance, pairing it with those low impedance IEMs (16 to 32 ohm) I could get a colored sound, as some warned in this thread. I may definitely consider buying higher price/impedance IEMs in the future, but not now.
What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #677 of 2,460
Re the output impedance: Wasn't it also on the first M2 where first a high value was mentioned and later Shanling told this was due to a different way they measure it compared to other makers?
Howver, if you are concerned you should get a ifi IEMatch.

May 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #680 of 2,460
Regarding the strange problem with M2S and Mojo reported by @Deftone , this is first time we hear about this problem. My M2s works with Mojo without any problem, no apparent sub bass boost compared to coaxial input from Shanling M5 or from PC over USB.

Anyone else experienced similar problem?

@Deftone Please, what USB cable are you using to connect the devices? Did you had chance to try it with any different cable? Thank you

no issues here...

I haven't had any weird issues using M2s + Mojo, either.

I use that exact same cable @miezio24. Cheap and effective until I can get my hands on the nicer looking one Shanling will be selling soon!

May 24, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #682 of 2,460
@tiralex I'm very curious about how things will end up with your order, since I'm thinking of ordering a M2s from the same eBay seller and I'm from Europe too (Italy).
But I'm in no hurry. I'll wait to hear from our little guinea pig first. :hamster::grin:

Anyway, I'm new to Head-Fi and HQ audio. I currently listen to my music on my mediocre (at least on the audio side) Nexus 6P modded with Viper4Arise, my PC with its mediocre integrated sound card and a couple of crappy IEMs. That's it.
Now, since my main wired IEM broke, I ordered some of the most praised low budget chinese IEMs, namely: URBANFUN HiFi, ROCK Zircon and Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD.
I'd also like to get a higher quality audio device to fully enjoy my FLAC albums and premium music streaming services. I'm thinking of getting this Shanling M2s.
My main genres are metal and hard rock, but sometimes I listen to early jazz, classical music and retrowave.
Would I get a significant improvement in terms of sound quality compared to my current "rig"?

My only concern is that, since the M2s has such a high output impedance, pairing it with those low impedance IEMs (16 to 32 ohm) I could get a colored sound, as some warned in this thread. I may definitely consider buying higher price/impedance IEMs in the future, but not now.
What do you guys think about that?

That was me more or less providing a disclaimer that your mileage may vary when it comes to coloration from the higher than typical output impedance. I personally haven't had any issues with it with the many iem I've used with the M2s, so I'm feeling pretty confident recommending it even for hybrid and multi-BA IEM users.

Re the output impedance: Wasn't it also on the first M2 where first a high value was mentioned and later Shanling told this was due to a different way they measure it compared to other makers?

Yes, Shanling was measuring differently than other DAP makers in the beginning. They quickly fixed that and released revised output impedance ratings they were the typical sub-1ohm for all DAPs except the M2. The M2s follows in it's footsteps with higher than typical output impedance. I haven't found it to be an issue, though. I definitely notice with DAPs that have 10ohm output impedance, but not with the M2s.

May 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #687 of 2,460

Yes, in past we measured output impedance in different way than is norm used by other manufacturers. Due to that, we later announced corrected values for M3 and M5.

But with M2S, its stated OI of 4.8 Ohm is measured in right way.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 26, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #690 of 2,460
I would like to know if a new firmware is in the works and when can we hear about the secret feature?
After all we all appreciate this music player and want to know.
I have paid nearly full price for mine and i am looking to make the most of it.

I totally agree mate! Although maybe the secret is there is no secret. :frowning2:
I would love the dac filters implimented, just something else to putz around with a bit. Especially since the EQ dampens the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back