Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #3,526 of 4,141
I got $215 flat here in california

darn california tax, literally every store has tax here.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,527 of 4,141
Massdrop charges sales tax for California and New Jersey (at this time, only these two states). Massdrop has offices in California and warehouses in New Jersey.

https://helpdesk.massdrop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216145398-Explanation-of-Sales-Tax

Explanation of Sales Tax
Massdrop is subject to sales taxes in states where we have established a significant physical presence (or nexus). Having nexus in a state means that we have to collect sales tax from members in that state.

The amount of sales tax charged will depend on the following factors:

• Current state sales tax rate
  • Local sales tax rates, if applicable (city or district)
Members who live in the following states are subject to sales tax when purchasing items on Massdrop:
  • California
  • New Jersey (with the exception of clothing items)

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,528 of 4,141
I got caught up in the hype and put in an order, but after reading this thread I have a serious case of buyer's remorse. For a variety of reasons, I'm limited to portable amps. I have a Fiio E11K that I know can't drive them (it can't even drive the 7XX from AKG/Massdrop), but I was thinking I could upgrade to the A5. But after reading all 236 pages of this thread, my impression is that there really is no portable amp capable of powering them properly. So I think I'll need to cancel.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,529 of 4,141
I got caught up in the hype and put in an order, but after reading this thread I have a serious case of buyer's remorse. For a variety of reasons, I'm limited to portable amps. I have a Fiio E11K that I know can't drive them (it can't even drive the 7XX from AKG/Massdrop), but I was thinking I could upgrade to the A5. But after reading all 236 pages of this thread, my impression is that there really is no portable amp capable of powering them properly. So I think I'll need to cancel.

Brooko did a review of the A5 (can't find it as maybe it didn't survive as it was from the old fourm) and he said it does drive the Sennheiser HD 650. Please find where you got your incorrect information and correct that person. It's wrong.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #3,530 of 4,141
Someone recently purchased the a5 to power their hd650 and said it did a smashing job doing it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #3,532 of 4,141
I already have Grado GH-2 as Open Headphone. Should I go for HD6XX?

I have Sennheiser Momentum and to be honest I don't really like the sound signature. I'm sure HD6xx is better and for $200 it's really hard to pass this drop

If you are comparing the HD6xx to the Grado, then yes, go for the HD6xx. Grado's are overly bright and harsh.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,533 of 4,141
If you are comparing the HD6xx to the Grado, then yes, go for the HD6xx. Grado's are overly bright and harsh.

But if he likes that sort of sound, and many do, then he may find these headphones too warm.

It's all about personal taste here.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,534 of 4,141
But if he likes that sort of sound, and many do, then he may find these headphones too warm.

It's all about personal taste here.

That's what I'm afraid of. I never try HD6xx before and I'm afraid that I will hate the sound signature. Since I already have GH-2 as an open can, it's hard to justify to buy another open-headphone.
Anyway, Grado GH-2 is pretty warm for Grado.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,535 of 4,141
That's what I'm afraid of. I never try HD6xx before and I'm afraid that I will hate the sound signature. Since I already have GH-2 as an open can, it's hard to justify to buy another open-headphone.
Anyway, Grado GH-2 is pretty warm for Grado.

It's a risk. $200 isn't a great deal of money for Headphones, but it isn't pocket change. My HD6XX are my least favorite of 13 different Headphones/IEMs I own. I really dislike the sound signature, no deep bass, too much mid bass, great mids for vocals, rolled off highs. They're sloppy sounding, and this is my opinion after hearing them and other HD650s with several different TOTL amps, balanced, SE, DACs that definitely aren't the problem, etc. I personally don't get the rave reviews they receive.

I was going to sell them, but I'm going to mod them. Cskippy sent me a mod through PM, and after reading tons of his posts on several headphones, we have similar sound signature preferences. I'm hoping that this mod makes them listenable, because they've sat in their box for months.

I wouldn't jump 'just' because they're a great deal over their regular price. Some may prefer the HD600, which is cheaper and has a more normal frequency response. Do some research, and that should help you decide. I'd grab some Planar Headphones before these, and the Monoprice M1060 and Hifiman 400i aren't terribly expensive and deliver music much different than a dynamic driver Headphone.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #3,536 of 4,141
I like these so much I bought another pair :D For me they're perfectly inoffensive in every way. The clamp is perfect, the build is sturdy, the sound is smooth. Perfect for an all-rounder. Using them over my HD800S and THX00 as my go-to now.

I really dislike the sound signature, no deep bass, too much mid bass, great mids for vocals, rolled off highs.

That's why most people like them to be fair, I don't need deep bass because my THX00 have that. Mid focus is fine for an all-rounder.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,537 of 4,141
It's a risk. $200 isn't a great deal of money for Headphones, but it isn't pocket change. My HD6XX are my least favorite of 13 different Headphones/IEMs I own. I really dislike the sound signature, no deep bass, too much mid bass, great mids for vocals, rolled off highs. They're sloppy sounding, and this is my opinion after hearing them and other HD650s with several different TOTL amps, balanced, SE, DACs that definitely aren't the problem, etc. I personally don't get the rave reviews they receive.

I was going to sell them, but I'm going to mod them. Cskippy sent me a mod through PM, and after reading tons of his posts on several headphones, we have similar sound signature preferences. I'm hoping that this mod makes them listenable, because they've sat in their box for months.

I wouldn't jump 'just' because they're a great deal over their regular price. Some may prefer the HD600, which is cheaper and has a more normal frequency response. Do some research, and that should help you decide. I'd grab some Planar Headphones before these, and the Monoprice M1060 and Hifiman 400i aren't terribly expensive and deliver music much different than a dynamic driver Headphone.

I do get what you're saying. However over time I found that the HD650 is the headphone I most often grab because of it's gentle character. I find that I can listen to it for long listening sessions without experiencing listening fatigue. Along with a good DAC and Headphone Amp I find that the HD650 presents me with a wonderfully balanced and detailed sonic picture. I love my HiFiman HE500's too but can't listen to them for any significant length of time like I can with the HD650. The other thing I needed to adjust to when I got into this hobby is that headphone listening is completely different to 2 channel speaker listening where the latter is more impactful and visceral. Initially I wanted the same out my headphones and associated equipment however I have come to realize that I prefer a more relaxed listening experience when I do my headphone escapes.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,538 of 4,141
For me the bright and harsh era of Grado ended many years ago. The GH2 is far from bright. Even the brightest Grado at the moment, the 325e, is still within many people's tolerance.

That said none of the Grado that I've tried sound too close to the HD650, so it would be safe to own both

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,539 of 4,141
I ordered a pair, excited to try them out. Still such a long wait though. :disappointed:
Will be my 3rd pair of Sennheiser headphones (or 4th if you count my Game Ones, the others being HD598's, and HD700's).
Sense they won't be coming until around Christmas, I guess if I don't like them I can gift them to a family member.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,540 of 4,141
I already have Grado GH-2 as Open Headphone. Should I go for HD6XX?

I have Sennheiser Momentum and to be honest I don't really like the sound signature. I'm sure HD6xx is better and for $200 it's really hard to pass this drop

I'd say "no" because they will sound much closer to the Momentum than a pair of Grados, even the warmer/bassier ones (PS500 and GH-1 are the ones I've heard and liked). Specifically, the HD650s are known for their rolled off treble, which is often called the "Sennheiser veil". You will also need an amp for them.

If you want to try a really laid back signature, then the HD6xx will give you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back