Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #7,561 of 7,699
I just picked up a pair a couple days ago after my monster turbines started showing channel imbalance. I agree that with some material there can be some harshness, I notice it primarily with cymbals. Sometimes with over enunciated S's as well. I'm hoping this tames itself down after some burn in...if not, they may need to go back. Too bad, too. I really enjoy the overall presentation these give.

This is interesting. I never found ie80 to be harsh, I actually found them to be on the very smooth side of things and I found their signature to be very easy to listen to for hours in a row.

You can open the bass valves more if you need more bass as it might balance their signature a bit, but I really do think that they have enough bass with it opened at minimum.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #7,562 of 7,699
Thanks for the suggestion Dobrescu, but the bass is one of my favorite things about these and they are at minimum. What I'm trying to describe is a "sizzle" with certain recordings at whatever frequency cymbals tend to sit. I'm sure it's partially the recorded material it self, but it's strange that I haven't suffered this problem with any of my other headsets....not even my Grados 325is. Maybe it's just me.

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #7,563 of 7,699
Thanks for the suggestion Dobrescu, but the bass is one of my favorite things about these and they are at minimum. What I'm trying to describe is a "sizzle" with certain recordings at whatever frequency cymbals tend to sit. I'm sure it's partially the recorded material it self, but it's strange that I haven't suffered this problem with any of my other headsets....not even my Grados 325is. Maybe it's just me.

Woah

The fact that you didn't hear any problem with G325 must mean that it is a particular frequency that you might be sensitive to. I do EQ all of my headphones and IEMs, so I do recommend EQ in general. You might want to take some of the 4 - 7 kHz area out, that seems to be where the thing could be

0a03c02ea482743f0487f44b94668862.png

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #7,564 of 7,699
If you are finding the IE80 bright, and you are using it with a device/application that has Parametric EQ, you could take advantage of it and reduce 2-3dB at 6kHz. (And while you are at it, you could also reduce 3dB at 200Hz, to help throw in some balance and naturalness).

Because of the prominent 6kHz peak, IE80 does tend to get bright, when paired with a source that falls on the bright side of neutral. I never experienced brightness on IE80, until I tried it with the LPG. While the brightness does help add some excitement, it makes the IE80 depart from its warm and laidback sound.

The problem with the simple EQ found in most devices, is that they do not have a 6kHz band. On these devices, the only way to EQ down the 6kHz peak, is to pull the entire hill down, by reducing the 4kHz and 8kHz bands down. Now that would just ruin the sound, making it dull and lifeless.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7,566 of 7,699
Yes, there is an annoying peak around 6khz and when I was using the IE80 with my Sony A15, I always kept the 6.3 band in the EQ decreased by 2 notches.

This is interesting because I always felt the need to enhance the treble sliders of 8kHz and 16 kHz by 5 dB and 10 dB respectively so it is interesting for me to hear that someone considers ie80 to have a peak at 6kHz .

It does appear in the graphs, but never in my life bothered me when using ie8, I would had wanted more - funny how different perception about sound can be!

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #7,567 of 7,699
Hello folks,

I've had ie80s for a good few years now and the time has come to replace the cable. I'm not really looking for anything fancy or mad expensive but I would like something that is longer than the 120cm provided. Can anyone recommend something that's decent? Everything I've seen so far has been either 120cm or super expensive. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #7,568 of 7,699
Hello folks,

I've had ie80s for a good few years now and the time has come to replace the cable. I'm not really looking for anything fancy or mad expensive but I would like something that is longer than the 120cm provided. Can anyone recommend something that's decent? Everything I've seen so far has been either 120cm or super expensive. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks
I have this cable on my ie80 and really like it. Unfortunately for you the length is not customizable. https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ethos-5n-cgocc-a-silver-plated-earphone-cable

It's $79 Singapore Dollars around 45 GBP. I have a few other null audio cables and so far they are all working extremely well.

Cheers.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,569 of 7,699
Just a quick update on these. I was originally running them straight through my I pod when I gave my initial impression of the "harshness" in the area of cymbals and such. I have since gone through my standard setup of using the i pod through the Wadia and Anedio (1) dac. What an improvement! Everything just kind of focused into place with no hint of harshness what so ever now. Even the bass has tightened up. It makes for great listen now. Seems these really do scale well with associated equipment. Very glad I made the move now.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #7,570 of 7,699
Okay, so I've been through just about every post here and the biggest issue seems/ed to be tips. I haven't seen it mentioned so just a fyi for those that may not know, comply's fitting this are the 600's. I've only seen people talk about 400 and 500's, so perhaps the 600's are relatively new. Anyway, they seem to work just fine for these things without changing the sound signature that I can tell and they're dead comfortable. Hope this helps someone that may be having problems with them. GL!

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #7,572 of 7,699
Hello folks,

Thanks
Nice to know that theyve lasted you that long, how many years has it been already?,

Hows the build quality been and what happened to the wire?

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #7,573 of 7,699
So, some impressions over my first week with the IE80s

Preface With Current Gear

I've been spoiled something awful by my desktop rig - Fostex TH600 w/ Dekoni Angled Lambskin Pads and HE400 w/ Focus Pads, TP Mod, Sorbo mod, Grille fully removed, into a Nuforce Icon HDP running from a Benchmark DAC1.

Prior to my current set of cans I've had another pair of HE400s, K701s, Q701s, M50Xs, Denon D600s, as well as a Schiit Lyr with a variety of NOS tubes running from the DAC1. I've also had a variety of studio monitors as a budding / amateur audio engineer producer, the most noteworthy being the Adam A7Xs and Miller and Kreisel MPS-1611Ps.

And now for my prior portable rig... lowly Shure SE215s and an iPod 5.5 gen and/or LG G4. Glamorous? Hell no. Does it work? Hell yes. I've used the 215s for 4 years now and they're still going strong with well over 1000 hours on them. They're incredibly comfortable and I can sleep in them.

Why the IE80s?

Well, I got the headphone bug (everyone reading this collectively sighs), and got to thinking - a good 50% of my listening now happens on transit. The 215s are solid entry level IEMs, but they're far from the most engaging things in the world, and they rarely make me pause and just listen to my favorite records like my desktop rig does. I'm split many ways in my music, and a relatively fair portion (25%) of that consists of some bass heavy slammin' EDM/industrial/hip hop. The other 75% is a smorgasbord of extreme metal, folk, classical and progressive rock.

I've convinced myself I want several sets of IEMs with varying levels of slam with the same mindset I purchased the TH600s to accompany my HE400s. One for SLAM and the others for slam.

Enter the IE80 from a reputable seller with receipt and proof of authenticity, and a whole lot of Head-fi scanning for signs of a fake IE80. Can't be too paranoid with these as most people in the know will tell you.

Get them in the mail, set bass dial to full off, tip roll for about 5 mins, settle on the medium bi-flanges - I should stop here to mention that the Senn foams that come with them are utterly ing useless, and are frankly, a joke - plug them into my 5.5 gen iPod to start, turn them on and ... SLAM.

Sound Impressions

Yes, these absolutely slam. Almost hilariously so. Compared to my SE215s which are noteworthy as a fairly bass heavy dynamic (in the realm of non-obnoxiously bass heavy IEMs) these are in another world. Not quite TH600 levels of rumble/impact, but you certainly feel like they're pushing air like a basshead fullsize can, though with a very very pronounced upper bass punch in the 100 hz region that starts to sound a tad slow / bloated on faster tracks. My second impression is - darn, all the reviewers were right. There is definitely a sense of space to these suckers. BUT, its not really proper full-size can space like many tout if for. Maybe M50X space. Mild disappointment? My third and fourth impressions are even less positive, and are a sign of what's to come momentarily - what is this metallic treble and where are my mids???

Now thus far I've run them through their paces with a few hip-hop tracks with varying levels of bass presence and varying approaches to production (Kanye, Kendrick, J.Cole, Kohh, Lupe's newest, etc), and some electronic goodness (RL Grime, Mitis, Vexare, ASC, Rudimental, Maiko Iuchi's OST from WIXOSS). Conclusions are that yes, they slam, yes, they have space, but the treble is hots and the mids are wonky. I bought them knowing they were V-shaped, but my god, the mids are thin, brittle, metallic. They just sound wrong. The treble I can live with, coming from HE400s (though modded to basically have perfect treble) and TH600s which are still very hot on some tracks. Definitely disappointment. The final nail in the coffin is some tracks with rock instrumentation - Supercell's Kimino Shiranai Monogatari, Breaking Benjamin's Dear Agony, Anberlin's Feel Good Drag all have that wonderful space to them, but man, the guitars are just off, the dynamics feel wrong. The timbre and texture of the instruments just feels unnatural. Vocals get a passing grade, are well centered and have enough body in the upper mids to satisfy, but they too are nothing to write home about.

OK, at this point I'm panicking a little bit. Well, the 5.5 isn't any real test of resolution or texture - No matter what anyone will tell you, its getting up there in age, and its pretty well established to have a headphone amp that is, depending who you talk to, just OK to sub-par.

So, the real test - into the HDP they go. Holy **** what a difference. Bass is tighter, heavier, more impactful. The 100 hz boost is still there, and it still mildly impedes on the lower mids, but no longer is it a huge imbalance. The treble is smoother - Its still bright, but the resolution and space I talked about earlier is finally up to par with what I expected out of a 300$ IEM. Cymbal timbre and texture is improved quite a bit, though mild sibilance is still experienced on certain tracks. Its certainly a good bit more natural and resolving. Man, NOW these sound like a full size can. Definitely a VERY V-shaped full size, but there is a good bit more space, and the sound-stage has improved marvelously. Imaging has likewise improved, though what you still get is kick drum - snare impact - bass guitar - everything else - cymbals. Everything else being smeared by the still sub-par mids.

Right, the mids. Well, they're now there. They're still too thin for my liking, and no matter how I look at em, they've got an unpleasant tonality/texture that I'm less than impressed with when listening to non electronic instrumentation, but I certainly no longer think they're anemic, and with simpler piano/guitar pieces they will more than do the job. Looks like an overall win, with a pretty major improvement across the board.

So, the next step - the LG G4. Huh. Way less bass bloat than the 5.5. The G4 is definitely all around "colder", though while the treble remains tinny, its no longer obnoxiously hot. Better resolution as well. Nowhere near Icon HDP levels, but certainly a good bit better than the 5.5. Mids are somewhat more natural / resolved than the 5.5, but still not quite up to acceptable quality levels. Soundstage is in-between 5.5 "large for an in-ear" and Icon HDP "real over ear full sized". Bass is actually improved over the 5.5 as well, though not by much - its a little less warm, a little less bloated, though the upper bass 100 hz hump continues to get in the way.

Slightly Longer Term Impressions, Fit, Comfort, Philosophy of Use Going Forward

OK, I've given it a couple of days - recheck my initial impressions - Still fairly accurate. Ears have acclimated to the treble a bit, bass still rocks, mids still suck. On the G4, dumping 125 hz and 250 hz 2 db and boosting 500 hz through 2k does a bit to improve the body and lessen bass bloat, at the cost of some loss of overall soundstage width / concert stage feel. Still, worth it to bring the mids on-board.

Unfortunately as I've found out over the past 72 hours, wearing the IE80s is unpleasant at best, downright painful at worst. I have ear canals on the smaller size, and while the Senn bi-flanges give a mildly decent seal, their shallow fit and tubby shell, combined with their massive 5.5 mm bore nozzle are making my lower concha and edge of my anti-tragus scream in pain. Tragus itself too, though not nearly as badly. These definitely do NOT disappear in your ears. Well, going to have to order Complys and give em a try. If that doesn't work, these are going up on the classifieds. SE215s comfort wise these are not, not even close.

But man, that SLAM...

I should note that I have read / briefly tried the tape mod and am going to give it a proper week with the tape mod in the near future, provided I'm not in pain the entire time I'm wearing them.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,574 of 7,699
Spinfits work well with the IE80s but I really like the Ortofon EQ5s and the JVC Spiral Dots are also good. No fitting problems for me - I use the mediums.

Rather than use actual tape I used some very small silicon 'feet' that you would attach to the base of something so that it didn't scratch the surface of a table.
something like this:

X-Autohaux-Household-Silicone-Non-Slip-Glass-font-b-Table-b-font-Dash-Mat-font-b.jpg

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #7,575 of 7,699
Spinfits work well with the IE80s but I really like the Ortofon EQ5s and the JVC Spiral Dots are also good. No fitting problems for me - I use the mediums.

Rather than use actual tape I used some very small silicon 'feet' that you would attach to the base of something so that it didn't scratch the surface of a table.
something like this:

Yeah I've seen the silicon feet suggestion before, will definitely be giving it a try.

As for my fit problems, they're directly related to me having pretty small ear canals. That being said, I solved them with small Comply 500s (iso) that I trimmed all the way down to the core of the tip - Solved the comfort problem and also got rid of the low pass filter effect that the complys introduced when being inserted without being trimmed. Isolation, even with the Complys trimmed all the way down, actually improved a lot over the Senn biflange tips, and my canals are no longer in agony.

I'm still not terribly sold on the sound for anything but my electronics heavy pop/EDM /hip hop collection, but they do those things well, so I think I'll be hanging on to them for the foreseeable future. I still HATE the mids on anything involving electric guitars. The texture is just downright wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back