Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 27, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #6,032 of 6,504
These HD 800 S has got amazing build quality. It dropped by accident from my desk on the floor and not a single scratch. Not all headphones would survive a drop like that with 0% damage. Good plastic isn't always bad.

(This is also the reason why I take the HD 650 and HD 800 S with me when I'm traveling as I know these things can happen and these headphones are hard to damage.)

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,033 of 6,504
These HD 800 S has got amazing build quality. It dropped by accident from my desk on the floor and not a single scratch. Not all headphones would survive a drop like that with 0% damage. Good plastic isn't always bad.

(This is also the reason why I take the HD 650 and HD 800 S with me when I'm traveling as I know these things can happen and these headphones are hard to damage.)

Woah, I didn't know before that HD800S can take a fall with zero damage! Thank you for letting us know! How are you paking them when you travel though? They are a bit big and don't fold as far as I know..

May 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,034 of 6,504

A lot has to do on what angle they fall and on to what kind of surface, a friends HD800S fell from a table top on to marble floor and the driver housing cracked in 3 places and another person that I know had them break at the joint between the cup and arm from a drop of 30cm on to ceramic tile floor.

May 28, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,035 of 6,504
A lot has to do on what angle they fall and on to what kind of surface, a friends HD800S fell from a table top on to marble floor and the driver housing cracked in 3 places and another person that I know had them break at the joint between the cup and arm from a drop of 30cm on to ceramic tile floor.
So sad to hear. I hope alcohol was not involved in either of these tragic mishaps.

May 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #6,036 of 6,504
I've read a lot of 800 bashing in the Utopia thread, but I'm just going to have to disagree. I wouldn't take the Utopia over my 800S. I would, however, take a Utopia for the sole purpose of selling it to buy an 800S and then using the extra cash to buy some exquisite and rare bourbon to enjoy while I listen to Pink Floyd in lossless.

May 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,037 of 6,504
I've read a lot of 800 bashing in the Utopia thread, but I'm just going to have to disagree. I wouldn't take the Utopia over my 800S. I would, however, take a Utopia for the sole purpose of selling it to buy an 800S and then using the extra cash to buy some exquisite and rare bourbon to enjoy while I listen to Pink Floyd in lossless.
Have to agree. What makes the HD800S's "wow" to me is the massive soundstage. I have heard Utopia's and in the soundstage department they were lacking. + For the price difference i can buy a lot of wishkey and enjoy my music....

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #6,039 of 6,504

I wouldn't say folks were bashing the HD800. I've owned the HD800 since 2010 and I still own the HD800S and enjoy it immensely. That said, they are no longer the dynamic driver king as they used to be IMO.

May 28, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #6,040 of 6,504
I wouldn't say folks were bashing the HD800. I've owned the HD800 since 2010 and I still own the HD800S and enjoy it immensely. That said, they are no longer the dynamic driver king as they used to be IMO.

Woah, I still dream of getting a HD800s for myself sometime, their soundstage sure is one of the best ever made!

May 28, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #6,041 of 6,504
Have to agree. What makes the HD800S's "wow" to me is the massive soundstage. I have heard Utopia's and in the soundstage department they were lacking. + For the price difference i can buy a lot of wishkey and enjoy my music....

I couldn't agree more. For $4000 the headphones have to be perfect. I'm not willing to trade a tiny bit of detail for a dramatically smaller soundstage and after forking out $2400 more.

May 29, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #6,042 of 6,504
I couldn't agree more. For $4000 the headphones have to be perfect. I'm not willing to trade a tiny bit of detail for a dramatically smaller soundstage and after forking out $2400 more.

I bought my first serious headphones back in the early 80's, a beautiful pair of Stax Lambda's. They sounded marvelous to my young ears and I assumed they would last many years to come. Then one night, my cute inebriated big-boned girlfriend set down on the Lambda's after leaving them lying on the couch. I was devastated. Afterwards, I repaired the headband but after a driver failure or two, I moved on to a pair of YH-1000's.

Anyway, you may ask what on earth does this silly little story from back in the day have to do with any of this. The Utopia may not be your best bet if you have an inebriated big-boned girlfriend. Your better off buying two HD800S for the same money just in case.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #6,043 of 6,504
Woah, I still dream of getting a HD800s for myself sometime, their soundstage sure is one of the best ever made!

Once we have heard how well separated instruments and voices are within that wide soundstage, it's hard to accept anything less is an improvement over the HD800S. Different perhaps, but better no. It's why I find it so hard to even commit to a second pair of cans. Everything I heard makes me question whether it's worth the compromise.

May 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #6,044 of 6,504
Once we have heard how well separated instruments and voices are within that wide soundstage, it's hard to accept anything less is an improvement over the HD800S. Different perhaps, but better no. It's why I find it so hard to even commit to a second pair of cans. Everything I heard makes me question whether it's worth the compromise.

That's exactly how I feel! The first time I got a chance to hear the 800S, it immediately blew me away and I knew it was the best sounding headphone I'd ever heard. But when I tried my friends Utopia, although it definitely sounded good, I felt like I was going to have to "train" my brain to like it because everything sounded so narrow. And I don't feel like it should be necessary to have to learn to like a $4000 headphone. I didn't need to learn to like the 800S. I wanted to own one after hearing it for 5 minutes. Plus, why can't a $4000 headphone have clarity, separation, AND a big soundstage?

May 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #6,045 of 6,504
I bought my first serious headphones back in the early 80's, a beautiful pair of Stax Lambda's. They sounded marvelous to my young ears and I assumed they would last many years to come. Then one night, my cute inebriated big-boned girlfriend set down on the Lambda's after leaving them lying on the couch. I was devastated. Afterwards, I repaired the headband but after a driver failure or two, I moved on to a pair of YH-1000's.

Anyway, you may ask what on earth does this silly little story from back in the day have to do with any of this. The Utopia may not be your best bet if you have an inebriated big-boned girlfriend. Your better off buying two HD800S for the same money just in case.

Bahahahahah!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back