Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #5,971 of 6,504
Hey. are those HD 414's in your profile pic?

Yep...first set of cans I owned. Had for a long time but lost them in a move out west. Really was more of a speaker guy back then but I did own some Stax SR-44 electret cans as well.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #5,972 of 6,504
I really like the SR60's...especially for the $$. Interestingly, when I went to buy my Grado's, I was fully prepared to buy the 325's if they sounded the best. But to my ears, I liked the SR lineup in 'reverse order'...60's most, 325's least. The 60's seemed to have the most balanced sound signature to my ears.

Regardless, there's just something unique about Grado's sound. I really like drums and guitars (acoustic especially) on them. Listening to small jazz bands, folk, blues, some rock...they really are a treat!

My initial buying experience with the SR lineup made me hesitate to spend more for their 'better' models. That said, it's been years since I bought them and they still get regular playing time.

I should probably find a store and listen to their more expensive cans. If I could find a more refined Grado that had a similar sound signature to the 60's, I just might pull the trigger.

Have you compared it to 80e and 225e? How did these sound?

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #5,973 of 6,504
Have you compared it to 80e and 225e? How did these sound?

I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask on that front...

It's been over 5 years since I did the evaluation but to me the SR60's were the ones I liked the most by far -- better bass and not quite as hot in the treble.

I basically went into the audio store I used to shop at regularly with several cd's and spent a couple hours at their listening station; kept thinking I should like the more expensive ones better but no cigar!

The one thing I regret is finding out about the Alessandro's a little later. Always wondered if they really tweaked them to be a little better. If I recall the MS1 is basically a better sounding SR125 for a $100...not sure they're even in business any more.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #5,974 of 6,504
New DAC and new HD800S's. My mind can't process this much at once.
But it sure is fun trying.
Selling the stock balanced cable if anyone's interested.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #5,975 of 6,504
New DAC and new HD800S's. My mind can't process this much at once.
But it sure is fun trying.
Selling the stock balanced cable if anyone's interested.

Yggy and HD800S! You are in for one awesome experience! Take my word for it. :)

May 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #5,976 of 6,504
Question on HD800S amplification. I am currently using a Schitt Asgard 2 amp and Bifrost Mulibit DAC to drive my HD800S. Looking to upgrade my amplification and possibly the DAC. However may just do the amp first as it may be the biggest opportunity with my setup. I have heard that the original H800 was a very good match with the Woo Audio WA22. Is the WA22 also a very good match for the HD800S?

There are three amps I am currently considering as an upgrade for the HD800S:
  1. Woo Audio WA2
  2. Schiit Ragnarok
  3. Ampsandsound Kenzie
The main music I listen to is classical and progressive rock. By the actually prefer the way my Asgard 2 sounds with the HD800S verses my Mapletree HD Ear+. Any thoughts on the amps I am considering or should be considering for the HD800S. Price limit around $2k. Any insight will be much appreciated.

May 1, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,977 of 6,504
Question on HD800S amplification. I am currently using a Schitt Asgard 2 amp and Bifrost Mulibit DAC to drive my HD800S. Looking to upgrade my amplification and possibly the DAC. However may just do the amp first as it may be the biggest opportunity with my setup. I have heard that the original H800 was a very good match with the Woo Audio WA22. Is the WA22 also a very good match for the HD800S?

1. Woo Audio WA2
  2. Schiit Ragnarok
  3. Ampsandsound Kenzie
The main music I listen to is classical and progressive rock. By the actually prefer the way my Asgard 2 sounds with the HD800S verses my Mapletree HD Ear+. Any thoughts on the amps I am considering or should be considering for the HD800S. Price limit around $2k. Any insight will be much appreciated.

add gsx mk2 if you desire true wire and gain amp. You will barely notice its there and that is the ultimate compliment. Course that means you better be happy with your dac, and have the ability to balance out said dac. I use Chord TT and the combo is very good indeed

May 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #5,978 of 6,504
Yep...first set of cans I owned. Had for a long time but lost them in a move out west. Really was more of a speaker guy back then but I did own some Stax SR-44 electret cans as well.

they were my first as well. Well, actually, they were my dad's, but I kinda co-opted them. Ours had the blue ear pads. So the HD800S are my first Senns in like 40 years. I never really clicked with the 600/650 or classic 800...

May 1, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,979 of 6,504
add gsx mk2 if you desire true wire and gain amp. You will barely notice its there and that is the ultimate compliment. Course that means you better be happy with your dac, and have the ability to balance out said dac. I use Chord TT and the combo is very good indeed

Would love to hear that combo. Unfortunately the GSX MK2 is more than I want to spend. Otherwise it would be on my short list. Headphone.guru has a review that says the Ragnarok sounds similar. Perhaps that is a vote for the Ragnarok in my price range?

May 2, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #5,980 of 6,504

1. Woo Audio WA2
  2. Schiit Ragnarok
  3. Ampsandsound Kenzie

Audio GD Master 11 has very good dac, head amp and has great pre amp..o and balanced

May 2, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #5,981 of 6,504
Audio GD Master 11 has very good dac, head amp and has great pre amp..o and balanced

Perhaps a more analogic sound as the NOS11 from Audio-Gd would make a better couple with those HD800S

May 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #5,984 of 6,504
Seems like the Auralic Taurus Mk2 has fallen out of favour these days. Accurate to the point of being clinical, but awesome depth for soundstage. Just a tad too lean for my taste to pair with the HD800S, maybe that's why nobody brought it up.

May 2, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #5,985 of 6,504
Seems like the Auralic Taurus Mk2 has fallen out of favour these days. Accurate to the point of being clinical, but awesome depth for soundstage. Just a tad too lean for my taste to pair with the HD800S, maybe that's why nobody brought it up.

Interesting you brought that up because I have considered the Taurus MK2. Came to the conclusion that the Ragnarok probably sounded as good or better and was more versatile. But would not know for sure unless I heard it first. I may love the way the MK2 sounds with the HD800S and not even know it. I appreciate you sharing your perspective on the MK2. That helps me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back