Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #5,943 of 6,504
Now Sonic, I don't want to parse this too much. It's not so much "scientific fact" as dominant theory. I'm always real careful when declaring behavioral psychology, especially perception, as 'fact.'

In any case, any quantitative analysis would take into account the phenomenon of "buyers remorse", where the person does not perceive enough difference to justify the cost, even if the differences are there. Bias runs both ways, which seems to get lost in the discussion.

Anyway, always good to bust your chops. It's been a while, buddy
biggrin.gif

Yes, I think I can come off my position a hair, but I think the volume of evidence is pretty solid. We still can't prove that smoking causes cancer, technically, but yes, I get your cautionary limitation and it makes sense. I agree, you don't hear much about the negative perception, which I think could be interpreted as supportive of our hobbies consistent bias toward positive reception of extremely expensive gear as "in a league of it's own". I also have to acknowledge that it is possible that these really expensive upgrades are just that much better and as such do yield the claimed gains. I don't think that explains enough of the variability, but I would be foolish to ignore it as well.

I'm glad you bust my chops, keeps me on my toes and honest!

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,944 of 6,504
800S, Z1R, Eikon any others I should consider?  Which amps around $500-1500 should I consider?  How about DACs?

I have some schiit gear that complements my 800S and other HPs nicely: Moljnir 2, and Gungnir multi bit. The Mjolnir 2 is a hybrid amp that has both solid state and tube capabilities. I use the tube option for the S, and both SS and tubes with the Eikon. Check it out.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5,945 of 6,504
Now Sonic, I don't want to parse this too much. It's not so much "scientific fact" as dominant theory. I'm always real careful when declaring behavioral psychology, especially perception, as 'fact.'

In any case, any quantitative analysis would take into account the phenomenon of "buyers remorse", where the person does not perceive enough difference to justify the cost, even if the differences are there. Bias runs both ways, which seems to get lost in the discussion.

Anyway, always good to bust your chops. It's been a while, buddy :D

Yes, I think I can come off my position a hair, but I think the volume of evidence is pretty solid. We still can't prove that smoking causes cancer, technically, but yes, I get your cautionary limitation and it makes sense. I agree, you don't hear much about the negative perception, which I think could be interpreted as supportive of our hobbies consistent bias toward positive reception of extremely expensive gear as "in a league of it's own". I also have to acknowledge that it is possible that these really expensive upgrades are just that much better and as such do yield the claimed gains. I don't think that explains enough of the variability, but I would be foolish to ignore it as well.

I'm glad you bust my chops, keeps me on my toes and honest!

LOL!

Seriously though, I am aware of the limitations of bias, which is why I've waited a year to seriously assess the 800S. I always want to be able to conclude that the Alpha Primes are just as good. However, I gotta admit it's just not the case. The Sennheiser's are consistently superior on all levels except for maximum bass impact, and of course, isolation. Then again, I suspect that they're simply accurate to the recording.

Anyway, I'll send you PM so we can catch up a bit. I don't want to derail the thread...

-S

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5,946 of 6,504
  If you want a End-Game combo for what ever HeadPhone you end up with is this...

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.  This DAC cannot be beat at ANY Price!
Schiit Ragnarok Amp.  It's made to stack with the Yggy!

I was using the Opportunity HA-1 for DAC and Amp.   But have since upgraded to the Yggy and still use the Class A amp in the Oppo.    Night and Day difference!

This, of course IMO....Do some reading to check the pair out! 

$4k for the combo... wow..for me thats going to be too steep I think but thank you for the suggestion!

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,947 of 6,504
800S, Z1R, Eikon any others I should consider?  Which amps around $500-1500 should I consider?  How about DACs?

Anything from a Chord Mojo and up will do a good job amping that group of cans

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 29, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #5,948 of 6,504
Will be using the HD800S and the HDVD800 dac/amp with my Realiser

Will also be looking at a transducer/bass shaker bolted to the couch to add the deep bass rumble/feel that's missing with all headphones.

That said - the Realiser seems to be working well with just the A16 acting as DAC/AMP from what I've seen from the shows.
When watching movies with others I'll probably just be using that, with the other person getting the HD800 (non S version) - I don't think the audio from movies will be pushing the needs for a higher end DAC/AMP setup.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #5,949 of 6,504
Will be using the HD800S and the HDVD800 dac/amp with my Realiser

Will also be looking at a transducer/bass shaker bolted to the couch to add the deep bass rumble/feel that's missing with all headphones.

That said - the Realiser seems to be working well with just the A16 acting as DAC/AMP from what I've seen from the shows.
When watching movies with others I'll probably just be using that, with the other person getting the HD800 (non S version) - I don't think the audio from movies will be pushing the needs for a higher end DAC/AMP setup.

Funny you should write that. Lately, I've been enjoying the sound quality and dynamic range of movies with my Benchmark/Liquid Carbon/800S combo much more than music. Rogue One was simply epic, and that's without the Realiser (which I am moderately interested in now that I've seen the rack version). The sense of space and location with these headphones is better than I could have imagined.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #5,950 of 6,504
Definitely getting itchy feet waiting on more from Smyth :)

Trying so hard to keep my expectations moderate for when the unit does arrive, but from the sounds of things there's really no need to.

Can definitely seeing myself updating the movie chain of my system to make the most use of the A16.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #5,951 of 6,504
Im out of the price range

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5,952 of 6,504
  $4k for the combo... wow..for me thats going to be too steep I think but thank you for the suggestion!

You should still check out the other Schiit gear as every piece they make is an incredible value.   Their "Gumby" (Gungnir Multi-Bit) a fantastic DAC as well and a $1000 cheaper than the Yggy.

You'll get more performance/dollar than anywhere else!

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,955 of 6,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back