Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #39,031 of 46,497
I am loving the new forum platform... I can be gone for days and catch up on all my subscribed threads in five minutes :L3000:

I use to drink a16 ounce mug of coffee while catching up with new post. Now I am done reading all new post before my coffee even cools ! What the heck is going on ?

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #39,032 of 46,497
I use to drink a16 ounce mug of coffee while catching up with new post. Now I am done reading all new post before my coffee even cools ! What the heck is going on ?

Honestly, I don't know, except that it has to be tied to the new forum platform. It took a little while to get used to it, but it seems OK to me.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #39,034 of 46,497

I think it's because people can't access the site from their mobile devices - I get a 'This site can't be reached' message when I try to browse from my Android phone.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #39,035 of 46,497
^Never had that issue on mobile (Galaxy S5 w Chrome). My biggest issues were search functionality in threads and images from threads missing. Search is mostly fixed as you can search up top and check 'in this thread only'. I still haven't figured out how to access all images in a thread.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #39,036 of 46,497
^Never had that issue on mobile (Galaxy S5 w Chrome). My biggest issues were search functionality in threads and images from threads missing. Search is mostly fixed as you can search up top and check 'in this thread only'. I still haven't figured out how to access all images in a thread.

Well that is interesting - I just got my first email update for a subscribed thread since the update just now and was able to follow the link successfully from my phone.

So I will now (perhaps unjustifiably) speculate that most members stopped getting email notifications of activity in their subscribed threads since the update.

All the links contained in my emails that predate the changeover bring up the 'This site can't be reached' message or some variant, no matter the device I use.

So it kind of looks like Head-Fi might have stopped email notifications of people's previously subscribed threads.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #39,037 of 46,497

I have the same issue. I can't access most of the images shown especially from old posts

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #39,038 of 46,497
Well all this talk of the sheepskin leather pads made me pull the trigger on them. Here are some better shots of the ring and the pads on the HD650.

Here are the pleather pads with the rings in them. You can see that the material gets pinched in the ring a little bit. After 7 months they have a pretty good imprint of the headphones in them.

Here's a picture of the ring next to the pleather pad after removing it.

Here are the headphones with the sheepskin leather pads installed.

First impressions:
The sound.
Sounds about the same as the pleather pads, same amount of bass but the highs seem even cleaner than before. Not louder, just cleaner.

The comfort.
Much more comfortable than the pleather pads, very soft and supple. Much more comfortable than the stock velour pads. Best part is they don't squeak/creak on the arms of my glasses. These are the first real leather headphone pads I've ever felt, and I must say I thought they were going to be stiff. Boy was I wrong. These are now by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

The look:
Wow they look much better than the pleather pads. Very nice.

I bought brainwavz
Well all this talk of the sheepskin leather pads made me pull the trigger on them. Here are some better shots of the ring and the pads on the HD650.

Here are the pleather pads with the rings in them. You can see that the material gets pinched in the ring a little bit. After 7 months they have a pretty good imprint of the headphones in them.
Vj0dsFM.jpg

Here's a picture of the ring next to the pleather pad after removing it.

q6zv01G.jpg

Here are the headphones with the sheepskin leather pads installed.
XI4TJAb.jpg

RjwiOJi.jpg

First impressions:
The sound.
Sounds about the same as the pleather pads, same amount of bass but the highs seem even cleaner than before. Not louder, just cleaner.

The comfort.
Much more comfortable than the pleather pads, very soft and supple. Much more comfortable than the stock velour pads. Best part is they don't squeak/creak on the arms of my glasses. These are the first real leather headphone pads I've ever felt, and I must say I thought they were going to be stiff. Boy was I wrong. These are now by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

The look:
Wow they look much better than the pleather pads. Very nice.

How different do they sound when compared to the stock pads against the brainwavz sheepskin pads?

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #39,039 of 46,497
I bought brainwavz

How different do they sound when compared to the stock pads against the brainwavz sheepskin pads?

They have significantly more low end. Sound-stage is about the same, no noticeable decrease, at least to my ears. Everything is tighter and better defined, and there's a small bump in the treble, most likely due to the thinner liner between your ears and the drivers.

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #39,040 of 46,497
They have significantly more low end. Sound-stage is about the same, no noticeable decrease, at least to my ears. Everything is tighter and better defined, and there's a small bump in the treble, most likely due to the thinner liner between your ears and the drivers.

I tried stuffing back the foam pad into the leather pads after installing them like how ether c has those mod pads.

I still have to listen to them seriously. further I got the isine 10 open back iems yesterday.. they sound pretty good for their size.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #39,042 of 46,497
I'm thinking of getting a used HD650 and read that there are older and newer versions. Can someone advice how I can identify and make sure that what I come across is the newer (hopefully better) model? Many thanks in advance.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #39,043 of 46,497
I'm thinking of getting a used HD650 and read that there are older and newer versions. Can someone advice how I can identify and make sure that what I come across is the newer (hopefully better) model? Many thanks in advance.
Unless you're planning on buying a 10 year old hd650 you will be getting the new hd650 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back