Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #1,081 of 1,140
  Question.

This is going to sound a bit embarrassing, but I've had these headphones for about 4 years and I still haven't been able to hook them up to a DAC or anything. I mostly just plug them into a 3.5mm port on my laptop, desktop or phone. Because of this, does anyone know of any equalization settings that might help me maximize my sound? 

Honestly, you aren't missing all that much IMO. The HD558 (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about, but this is the HD5x8 thread after all) is very easy to drive and in my experience, has sounded pretty much the same out of my various sources. I've tried it straight from my iPod Touch 5g and my MacBook Air and it didn't really sound any different from when I plugged it into my Topping D20 DAC + SMSL sApII Pro amp stack that's connected to my computer.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #1,082 of 1,140
  Honestly, you aren't missing all that much IMO. The HD558 (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about, but this is the HD5x8 thread after all) is very easy to drive and in my experience, has sounded pretty much the same out of my various sources. I've tried it straight from my iPod Touch 5g and my MacBook Air and it didn't really sound any different from when I plugged it into my Topping D20 DAC + SMSL sApII Pro amp stack that's connected to my computer.

Totally agreed. However buying an O2/ODAC or JDS C5D isn't bad, considering that you *may* upgrade in the future.

Now I have something to ask those of you with the closed HD598. Does it sound as "dark" as the HD558? Is there any problems, like the rattle problem that happened to some HD598 a few months ago?

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,083 of 1,140
  Totally agreed. However buying an O2/ODAC or JDS C5D isn't bad, considering that you *may* upgrade in the future.

Now I have something to ask those of you with the closed HD598. Does it sound as "dark" as the HD558? Is there any problems, like the rattle problem that happened to some HD598 a few months ago?

I tend to go the route of get the headphone first, then worry about the amping later. DAC and amp have their effects on the sound quality and signature, but if it can get loud enough, the headphone is the biggest difference to pay attention to first and foremost. Still certainly not a bad idea to have their next upgrade be a DAC/amp.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,085 of 1,140
Finally got my project 518's done ...

Repainted, HM5 Pads (Fit properly this time around), Grills Removed, Added some clay around the driver housing.

Hot damn these things sound better than my old 598's did, certainly give my SHP9500's a run for their money.

Still something odd about the damn bass ...

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #1,086 of 1,140
  Finally got my project 518's done ...

Repainted, HM5 Pads (Fit properly this time around), Grills Removed, Added some clay around the driver housing.

Hot damn these things sound better than my old 598's did, certainly give my SHP9500's a run for their money.

Still something odd about the damn bass ...

Looks pretty cool! What do you find odd about its bass?

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,088 of 1,140
Hard to explain to be honest, in stock trim they would give me a headache after 30 mins of listening. Very poorly designed out of the box IMO.

Listening to them again this morning they seem to be so much better, very neutral across the board.

Interesting. I find them to sound pretty weird too. As if its upper bass or lower mids sounds shouty to me ears when I listen to people talk in videos. They sound too close to my ears. On the other hand, I actually don't experience the same even with closed headphones with nonexistent soundstage (in your head sound). However, after I swapped it with 598 pads, they sound much more natural, but with less bass of course.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,089 of 1,140
Interesting. I find them to sound pretty weird too. As if its upper bass or lower mids sounds shouty to me ears when I listen to people talk in videos. They sound too close to my ears. On the other hand, I actually don't experience the same even with closed headphones with nonexistent soundstage (in your head sound). However, after I swapped it with 598 pads, they sound much more natural, but with less bass of course.

Yeah, that is a good way to describe it.

Makes me want to jump on a pair of HD600's even more.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,090 of 1,140

@zimtron that metal mesh really looks cool i would probably make something similar if i could find a cool grid . i decided to put foam (dust barrier :) ) because i can put the logo back in much easier and to my surprise the little pins make it stay in place i also customized the headband pad a bit , put some pleather. i would paint my HD518 but tbh i'll probably ruin them as i'm inexperienced with plastic paint so i'll keep the ugly grey for now :frowning2: i also have a pair of h558 but they just stay as is :)

*edit - earpads are from hd558

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,091 of 1,140

@zimtron that metal mesh really looks cool i would probably make something similar if i could find a cool grid . i decided to put foam (dust barrier :) ) because i can put the logo back in much easier and to my surprise the little pins make it stay in place i also customized the headband pad a bit , put some pleather. i would paint my HD518 but tbh i'll probably ruin them as i'm [COLOR=222222]inexperienced with plastic paint so i'll keep the ugly grey for now :frowning2: i also have a pair of h558 but they just stay as is :)[/COLOR]

*edit - earpads are from hd558

Hi, since you have both HD518 and HD558, may you please tell me which one has stronger clamping force.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,095 of 1,140
@crispswish
, no they go around my ears without touching. they fit me really good and probably will most people.

Interesting. For me the HD518 really touch my ears with the HD598 pads. With the HD518 pads it didn't touch my ears at all. I guess the HD598 softer pads collapse under the HD518 greater clamping force.

I wonder if the HD558 pads are a little stiffer than the HD598 pads. And maybe that's why they didn't collapse and touch your ears under the HD518 clamping force.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back