Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Dec 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,066 of 1,140
Apologies if this has been asked before. Is it possible to bend the headband on the 598's to relieve the clamp a little?

Best options are to either be patient and they will naturally loosen up (both the clamping force and the ear pads will soften up), wash and dry the ear pads with shampoo and conditioner, or you can find something that is slightly larger than your head (I like lampshades) and when not in use clamp them over it so that over time they will be stretched and loosened.

While you can essentially twist and man-handle the headband in all sorts of ways and not have it crack or snap, do YOU want to chance it?

beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,067 of 1,140

Best options are to either be patient and they will naturally loosen up (both the clamping force and the ear pads will soften up), wash and dry the ear pads with shampoo and conditioner, or you can find something that is slightly larger than your head (I like lampshades) and when not in use clamp them over it so that over time they will be stretched and loosened.

While you can essentially twist and man-handle the headband in all sorts of ways and not have it crack or snap, do YOU want to chance it?

beerchug.gif

Agreed, best to just let it loosen and soften up over time. The HD5x8 series are fully plastic so it's a bad idea. The inner extended headband of the HD6X0 series is metal so that's why people can suggest to pull it out all the way and bend out slightly since the metal pieces won't snap.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,068 of 1,140
This is actually for a friend. I have the 600 which has a metal band inside the plastic. The metal can be bent, taking care not to stress the plastic.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,069 of 1,140
This is actually for a friend. I have the 600 which has a metal band inside the plastic. The metal can be bent, taking care not to stress the plastic.

Exactly. I think the best option probably is to put it on something larger than their head while they don't use it. Cuz I don't feel like my HD558s are much looser than they were new and I never put them on anything larger than my head while not wearing them. Probably the best option.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,070 of 1,140
Agreed, best to just let it loosen and soften up over time. The HD5x8 series are fully plastic so it's a bad idea. The inner extended headband of the HD6X0 series is metal so that's why people can suggest to pull it out all the way and bend out slightly since the metal pieces won't snap.

Ah. That's what I needed to know. Thanks guys.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,071 of 1,140
Hey guys.

Just got a pair of 518s for the cheapest of prices and a jds labs cmoybb. I'm not sure if it's the headphones, the amp, or what, but whenever I listen to a song on my galaxy s5 that has a lot of bass on high volume (with bass boost off) i end up getting this crunchy garbled sound. I'm looking for some help isolating the issue to see what I need to do.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,072 of 1,140
Hey guys.

Just got a pair of 518s for the cheapest of prices and a jds labs cmoybb. I'm not sure if it's the headphones, the amp, or what, but whenever I listen to a song on my galaxy s5 that has a lot of bass on high volume (with bass boost off) i end up getting this crunchy garbled sound. I'm looking for some help isolating the issue to see what I need to do.

First off, I believe the HD518 is the bassiest of the HD5x8 line, though someone correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't listened the HD518. Secondly, by high volume, how high are we talking on the amp?

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,073 of 1,140
First off, I believe the HD518 is the bassiest of the HD5x8 line, though someone correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't listened the HD518. Secondly, by high volume, how high are we talking on the amp?

Very near max. And the bass seems ok unless the song has a lot of it, then it's suuuuper garbled like a speaker is starting to blow out.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,074 of 1,140
Very near max. And the bass seems ok unless the song has a lot of it, then it's suuuuper garbled like a speaker is starting to blow out.

That's because it is....essentially, you're running that amp too hard. Every amp has a limit and the closer to that limit you are, the more distortion. And since you're really close to that limit, you're getting a bunch of distortion with the bass notes because low frequencies move the driver the most.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,076 of 1,140
hi all..
I purchased my first  decent headphones, a sennheiser HD518 ,more or less 6 months back and I have a question about an "elevation" in the inner back part of the headphones. what is it for?  does it have any function?. im asking because  im curious about it. I would post  a picture but  I just joined the forum and I cannot post pictures.
thanks

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,077 of 1,140
  hi all..
I purchased my first  decent headphones, a sennheiser HD518 ,more or less 6 months back and I have a question about an "elevation" in the inner back part of the headphones. what is it for?  does it have any function?. im asking because  im curious about it. I would post  a picture but  I just joined the forum and I cannot post pictures.
thanks

I know exactly what you're talking about. They have it on the HD5x8 series. They call it their E.A.R. technology I think. It's supposed to essentially be a sort of reflective surface to bounce sound and whatever. Really wouldn't be able to say what sort of effect it has unless you had exactly the same headphone without that little bit there.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,078 of 1,140
It's supposed to improve the imaging of the headphone. I've always had a special liking for my 558 and I suspect that has some to do with it.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,079 of 1,140
You should all stuff some polyfil in your 558s. Don't shove too much in it and don't put pinches of it in. Just grab some, enough to cover the palm of your hand if you're a dude with dude hands and if you've got smaller hands, stick to the palm portion and laser eyeball the cups to see if you need more. It's hard to over stuff due to lack of space. 
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #1,080 of 1,140
Question.

This is going to sound a bit embarrassing, but I've had these headphones for about 4 years and I still haven't been able to hook them up to a DAC or anything. I mostly just plug them into a 3.5mm port on my laptop, desktop or phone. Because of this, does anyone know of any equalization settings that might help me maximize my sound? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back