Sennheiser HD1/Momentum 2.0 vs Sony MDR100aap
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FunkDrummer

Head-Fier
I'll be headed to Montreal at the end of the month and I decided that I could use a new pair of commuter headphones since I can't lug my HD598's around.

I'm currently looking for something that's well balanced. Treble detail's important, but definition in the midrange and bass extension is important. I'd prefer something that's not too bass heavy (preferably less than the M50x's). Separation and imaging is important, but since I'll need closed cans the sound stage can take a backseat ahaha :p

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Probably around $250 CAD. The Momentum 2.0 took a huge drop and it's now sitting at $249.99 CAD.

If I can manage next month I wouldn't mind pushing my budget to $300, and I'll probably pull the trigger.

Any advice helps!

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Maybe check out a MEZE 99 Classics or an Oppo PM-3. Both good for your purposes. Not sure about exact pricing in Canada but here in the US, they would be close to your budget limit. Maybe check them out and see what you think. Maybe one of them will work for you. One more good one is the NAD HP50, which is terrific and a bit less expensive. You should check it out as well.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Maybe check out a MEZE 99 Classics or an Oppo PM-3. Both good for your purposes. Not sure about exact pricing in Canada but here in the US, they would be close to your budget limit. Maybe check them out and see what you think. Maybe one of them will work for you. One more good one is the NAD HP50, which is terrific and a bit less expensive. You should check it out as well.
I might end up pulling the trigger on the HP50's as they're the same price as the M2's/HD1's. I've heard great things about the sound quality, but not so much about the build quality. Would these withstand daily abuse?

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 7
I might end up pulling the trigger on the HP50's as they're the same price as the M2's/HD1's. I've heard great things about the sound quality, but not so much about the build quality. Would these withstand daily abuse?
It just depends on the level of abuse. No headphone can handle flagrant abuse. I think they are reasonably well-made overall, personally. If cared for properly, it should be no issue. They really sound terrific, too. They do play it right down the middle, signature-wise. Pretty neutral. Very detailed. One more thing is that they may take a bit of adjusting to get a comfortable fit with the headband. FWIW. Some people swap the pads out, too. Some thoughts. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back