Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #512 of 1,519
Do you guys disable the Enhancements in the Playback Speakers menu ? does it disable the surround or anything ?

One should always disable all enhancements.
The virtual surround listed there is just Microsoft's implementation.

What you want sent to the device is true 7.1 signal which you set on speaker configuration.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #513 of 1,519
So it's been a while since I the last time I bought the Sound Blaster G5. Now I heard of these new Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 device, are they really worth the price? and is it better than the G5 that Im using atm? thx.
Isn't the GSX 1000 / 1200 just like any o ther Dolby 7.1 surround sound devices out there? or it has something difference underneath? thx.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #514 of 1,519
So it's been a while since I the last time I bought the Sound Blaster G5. Now I heard of these new Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 device, are they really worth the price? and is it better than the G5 that Im using atm? thx.
Isn't the GSX 1000 / 1200 just like any o ther Dolby 7.1 surround sound devices out there? or it has something difference underneath? thx.

As far as I've researched the best virtual surround goes as GSX > CMSS-3D (best found on the Creative Titanium HD) > Everything else, including the SBX found on the G5.
And no, the GSX is Sennheiser's own technology and is only found on the GSX 1000 & 1200.

So is it worth it?
Well, it is allegedly the best virtual surround out there and myself I wouldn't bother with anything lesser.
The device has good features but isn't very powerful.
If you're looking for competitive edge, a superior headphone will beat any virtual surround any day.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #515 of 1,519
One should always disable all enhancements.
The virtual surround listed there is just Microsoft's implementation.

What you want sent to the device is true 7.1 signal which you set on speaker configuration.

You sure ? On the creative ZXR I think if you disable the Enchantments then the Surround would be disabled . I guess it's different because it's not software right ? so there is nothing to be controlled on the surround from a driver, but only from the device itself which always be 7.1 . Can anyone test it to be sure ? I tested using dolby_truehd_channel_check_lossless-DWEU and the surround with my guess kept. just want more people to say it's true :p

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #516 of 1,519

I actually have both of these. The Gsx 1000 is better on positional sounds, the g5 however is much worst there is quite some bloat to it & the positional sounds are drown out by the lower frequency which dominate too much imo.

The g5 amp is much more powerful but still comes off as being shouty and sibilance, while the gsx 1000 amp is much weaker but more forgiving.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #517 of 1,519
I actually have both of these. The Gsx 1000 is better on positional sounds, the g5 however is much worst there is quite some bloat to it & the positional sounds are drown out by the lower frequency which dominate too much imo.

The g5 amp is much more powerful but still comes off as being shouty and sibilance, while the gsx 1000 amp is much weaker but more forgiving.

But which one sounds better for music ? like which one has more Bass and clarity?

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #519 of 1,519
How does the gsx 1000 compare to Dolby Atmos Headphone? There's a free 30 day trial for those with the Windows 10 Creators update for anyone curious.
If it is free definitely try. when Dolby headphone atmos came out Microsoft wanted 15 bucks. still I got it and it works pretty nice for movies and music.
However for games I really did not notice much...razer surround I thought was a better software gaming implementation...and it's free.
Would try these though first. obviously gSX I thought was much better but it costs some money.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #520 of 1,519
But which one sounds better for music ? like which one has more Bass and clarity?
gsx is definitely not a 7.1 Dolby surround implementation. it is sennheisers take on HRTF, which is a fancy term for creating surround sound for headphones.
You own a G5, soundblaster has SBX which is it's own HRTF. From what I understand it is quite good and therefore you may or may not benefit from the GSX. only way to know for sure would be to do a direct g5 and gsx comparison.
You could read a hundred reviews between SBX and GSX but it is completely subjective which is better between the two from what I understand

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #522 of 1,519
You sure ? On the creative ZXR I think if you disable the Enchantments then the Surround would be disabled . I guess it's different because it's not software right ? so there is nothing to be controlled on the surround from a driver, but only from the device itself which always be 7.1 . Can anyone test it to be sure ? I tested using dolby_truehd_channel_check_lossless-DWEU and the surround with my guess kept. just want more people to say it's true :p
What you want sent to the device is true 7.1 signal which you set on speaker configuration.[/QUOTE]
Sound is subjective. try it either way and see what sound better. most use with enhancements off as the GSX works very well without them...a big reason gsx is interesting is it is a true hardware only solution...you just set it to 7.1 speakers and it works.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #523 of 1,519

I would say neither are great for music but the g5 is much worst. The g5 has more bass but it is not quality bass it is more boosted bloated and wooly bass, the treble at times can be painful going on to ear piercing level depending on certain songs. It is also quite sibilant

The gsx 1000 is much more forgiving compared to the g5 really can't remember much as i only use the gsx 1000 to play games.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #524 of 1,519
Looking for good AMP+DAC combo for AKG712Pro my main focus is gaming(Singleplayer and Multiplayer(PUBG)) so positional audio is quite important to me. So far i have been looking into Sennheiser GSX 1000 PRO not sure if its worth the money and is it good for the 712 pro I heard its quite hard to drive and only some AMPS+DACs really make them shine...
My budget would be around 250$, also i already have a Fiio E10k, i just feel like my headphones could do better, i might be willing to pull enough money for the
Creative Sound Blaster X7 just not sure if its worth it especially since i only do gaming not listening to music:)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #525 of 1,519
Looking for good AMP+DAC combo for AKG712Pro my main focus is gaming(Singleplayer and Multiplayer(PUBG)) so positional audio is quite important to me. So far i have been looking into Sennheiser GSX 1000 PRO not sure if its worth the money and is it good for the 712 pro I heard its quite hard to drive and only some AMPS+DACs really make them shine...
My budget would be around 250$, also i already have a Fiio E10k, i just feel like my headphones could do better, i might be willing to pull enough money for the
Creative Sound Blaster X7 just not sure if its worth it especially since i only do gaming not listening to music:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back