Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #481 of 1,519
Alright, so I have had my GTX1000 for about 6 months now, and while playing Battlefield1 and FO4, I do not hear much directional audio. Perhaps my HD598 do not have much of a soundstage. Did any of you guys swap your headphones and really hear a big difference?
Just wondering what I'm missing.
I'm with the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms and I have hard time hearing the directional audio too. it sounds almost the same as Asus Strix RAID DLX VSS ... so I don't know.. sometimes in movies and in games I felt like the shoot or sound came straight from my sides of my room or like someone was calling me outside .. it felt real . so it really depends on the "way you hear it"

You guys probably don't have it set up right in-game and maybe in windows as well. When I had it, it worked really well and positional cues were spot on. If you post screenshots of how things are set up in-game and in windows, maybe we can figure out whats wrong.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #482 of 1,519
You guys probably don't have it set up right in-game and maybe in windows as well. When I had it, it worked really well and positional cues were spot on. If you post screenshots of how things are set up in-game and in windows, maybe we can figure out whats wrong.

7.1 in windows, you can only choose Stereo and 7.1 ... 16bit 48 Khz and on the GSX 7.1 . in game Surround/5.1/7.1 .. I can't see how I can configure it wrong.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #483 of 1,519
7.1 in windows, you can only choose Stereo and 7.1 ... 16bit 48 Khz and on the GSX 7.1 . in game Surround/5.1/7.1 .. I can't see how I can configure it wrong.
Exactly, yeah I mean I have changed every conceivable setting, and I can tell it is working, it just does not work extremely well. I got my hope up thinking I would be able to hear every exact detail, and know where bullets are headed due to the sound, but I just expected too much is all..

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #484 of 1,519
The answer to all of you having trouble in hearing positional audio with any of these devices is simple. The algorithms used in them are tuned to the majority of people to work and you are not part of that majority. For me all cards from all manufacturers work fine. I use Dolby Atmos via my Xonar STX set to Stereo right now. Now I have additional sound cues from above and below on top. Even the Razer stuff works just fine with my brain.

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #485 of 1,519
The answer to all of you having trouble in hearing positional audio with any of these devices is simpe. The algorithms used in them are tuned to the majority of people to work and you are not part of that majority. For me all cards from all manufacturers work fine. I use Dolby Atmos via my Xonar STX set to Stereo right now. Now I have additional sound cues from above and below on top. Even the Razer stuff works just fine with my brain.

how do you know you have bot and top cues?

Jul 2, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #486 of 1,519
Mini Review:
Got the GSX-1000. It's definitely not powerful enough to drive my HE-400i to enjoyable volume (about 70% there) alone. So I daisy chained it with my Fiio A3, and it's perfect now. HRTF worked perfectly for both movies(5.1) and games.

In CSGO, GSX-1000's 7.1 mode definitely sounded better than the in game HRTF mode (a lot of people complained about its poor volume balance). I was able to pin point enemies' positions. However, I don't think it can simulate vertical position without an in-game "HRTF 5.1" support.

In Witcher 3, I set the reverb to + in 7.1, and it works very well for an open world game like Witcher 3. It makes it extra immersive for sure.

Next I tried rewatching Rogue One in blu-ray. GSX-1000 performed admirably in all the action scenes.

With Tidal streaming. it's fun to play around with 7.1 mode with music mode on and reverbs sometime when the music calls for it. It really changes how the music feel without that cheap "Live" eq feel. 16-bit-48kHz required by the 7.1 mode is good enough for pretty much all tracks except for the rare "Master" tracks that are in 24-bit-96kHz formats.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm shocked at how accurate this thing can simulate surround sound. I have a Tiamat 7.1 (5 speakers in each ear) for gaming, and GSX-1000 simulated surround better than my "real" surround sound headphone! Think of GSX-1000 as a portable HRTF DAC that all gamers and movie watchers must have for their stereo headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #487 of 1,519
How is the speaker output on GSX1000? I'm considering to get one for powering Sennheiser PC37X headset and Micca MB42X/Voll B44 speakers.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #488 of 1,519
How is the speaker output on GSX1000? I'm considering to get one for powering Sennheiser PC37X headset and Micca MB42X/Voll B44 speakers.
I would say it does the job. You can use the dial to alter the volume.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #489 of 1,519
I would say it does the job. You can use the dial to alter the volume.

So I'd assume it's powerful enough for near field listening and quite acceptable for decently sized living room listening?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #490 of 1,519
Anyone tried WaveNx to compare with GSX 1000 ? it makes 3D surround, should be better than the GSX 1000 if it has Top and Buttom information , also it makes all Stereo to Surround even if it doesn't has Surround Mix .. so on paper it's the best next thing. it also has the new technology the OSSIC head tracking has with your own camera you can use it but with limited technology compare to their own Bluetooth device which gives more precision,unlimited headmovment 360 degrees compare to 90 with camera. and no issues with lightning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waves/waves-nx-3d-audio-on-any-headphones

You can download the Trial from here to your email 30 days

http://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #491 of 1,519
So I'd assume it's powerful enough for near field listening and quite acceptable for decently sized living room listening?
Only with active speakers. And you have pure Stereo or 2 channel. Nor surround emulation.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #492 of 1,519
Anyone tried WaveNx to compare with GSX 1000 ? it makes 3D surround, should be better than the GSX 1000 if it has Top and Buttom information , also it makes all Stereo to Surround even if it doesn't has Surround Mix .. so on paper it's the best next thing. it also has the new technology the OSSIC head tracking has with your own camera you can use it but with limited technology compare to their own Bluetooth device which gives more precision,unlimited headmovment 360 degrees compare to 90 with camera. and no issues with lightning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waves/waves-nx-3d-audio-on-any-headphones

You can download the Trial from here to your email 30 days

http://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app
Thank you so much for posting this info and the link for this. I didn't even know about this., I gave it an shot because I was hoping there was something better then the existing software out there,I tried this for an movie and an couple of games and i found it to work really well. A lot better then Razer surround software, If only MS went with this route with there built in Dolby atmos headphone and that other one. I actually like this more then SBX Headphone as well.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #493 of 1,519
Thank you so much for posting this info and the link for this. I didn't even know about this., I gave it an shot because I was hoping there was something better then the existing software out there,I tried this for an movie and an couple of games and i found it to work really well. A lot better then Razer surround software, If only MS went with this route with there built in Dolby atmos headphone and that other one. I actually like this more then SBX Headphone as well.

Do you think it's 3D surround has top and buttom information? I'm not sure if it's better than the gsx. but it might be cheaper way than ossics. maybe. is it better than ossic technology? did you use it with camrea?

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #494 of 1,519
Do you think it's 3D surround has top and buttom information? I'm not sure if it's better than the gsx. but it might be cheaper way than ossics. maybe. is it better than ossic technology? did you use it with camrea?
I didn't try it with an netcam just the software alone and i found it to work really good, I tried an movie with it and it did an very good job with the movie. I tried another game called interstellar marines which has weather and an wide range of sounds,the game detects the speaker count so it was already set to 7.1 due to the software. The weather in one of the maps came thru really good which made me feel like I was there. Even going as far as me hearing an metal thunk sound behind me that was life like. So it worked better then what I thought it would do, but I am still trying out different games to see how the results are. More importantly is it work better when you set the game to either 7.1 or 5.1 if the game 7.1 support isn't that good.

Personally its really cheaper then Ossic as I doubt the Ossic headphones will be 9 dollars, which is the price of the Nx software it self since most people already have netcams. To me that's an bargain, But who knows how much the ossic's will be, I betting that they will be heavily costly due to what they are being marketed for. Being limited to an special set of headphones is already an major downside to it,beside not knowing how well it will sound or perform in games and movies or how well it made for that matter, it won't help them if the headphones easily breaks. Because the photos of it to me makes it look like it isn't that durable. If they want ossic to really do well in the market, it needs to not be tied to an pair of headphones but be an piece of software that you can use with any pair of headphones like NX.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #495 of 1,519
I didn't try it with an netcam just the software alone and i found it to work really good, I tried an movie with it and it did an very good job with the movie. I tried another game called interstellar marines which has weather and an wide range of sounds,the game detects the speaker count so it was already set to 7.1 due to the software. The weather in one of the maps came thru really good which made me feel like I was there. Even going as far as me hearing an metal thunk sound behind me that was life like. So it worked better then what I thought it would do, but I am still trying out different games to see how the results are. More importantly is it work better when you set the game to either 7.1 or 5.1 if the game 7.1 support isn't that good.

Personally its really cheaper then Ossic as I doubt the Ossic headphones will be 9 dollars, which is the price of the Nx software it self since most people already have netcams. To me that's an bargain, But who knows how much the ossic's will be, I betting that they will be heavily costly due to what they are being marketed for. Being limited to an special set of headphones is already an major downside to it,beside not knowing how well it will sound or perform in games and movies or how well it made for that matter, it won't help them if the headphones easily breaks. Because the photos of it to me makes it look like it isn't that durable. If they want ossic to really do well in the market, it needs to not be tied to an pair of headphones but be an piece of software that you can use with any pair of headphones like NX.

the nx can be costly if you get the bluetooth headband which give you 360 degrees and no limit with light. it cost like 179$. so this one is the expensive pat. but again you don't need to change headphones and it suppose to work on everything. but the question is if it has 3d top and buttom information. cause the ossic has. but the game needs to support it.

also with the gsx if it set to 7.1 in windows when turning off nx is corrupt the sound by 100%. so you must change to stereo in windows if you disable it in nx.. changing in gsx to 2.0 was not enough

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back