Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #406 of 1,519
Posting it also here (apart from overclock.net forums)
btw, here are test files recorded by win10 Voice Recorder using "What U Hear" on SB E5 (67%), SBX G5(67%), Windows Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, Razer Surround, Out Of Your Head Game preset
while playing 7.1 test on this page (first 13 seconds only) https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9hEYFLHB-VbR3VuLTdVV3l1ems

Maybe somebody with GSX can do same test and provide recorded file

While listening on HD558 based on purely that test:

Windows Sonic is absolutely the worst, channel separation is like.. none ?

Windows Dolby Atmos side and rear channels are hardly separated but it's better than sonic

Razer Surround channel separation is fine but everything is bassy and muffled and "too close" for my liking

Out Of Your Head is clean but tad low volume and rear channels are high volume

Creative SBX E5/G5, channel separation is great although sound is more metallic/reverby but clean pretty much

As for virtual speakers distance from my head it seems as follows (from closest to farthest)
Windows Sonic
Razer Surround
Windows Dolby Atmos
SB E5/G5
Out of your head

You really can't judge anything based on those files though.
I remember testing the 7.1 on the Cloud 2s and it certainly got wide but it sounded like crap.
Hell, even listening to recorded gameplay doesn't do virtual surround justice as far as I'm concerned.

Also from what I gather CMSS-3D was king before the GSX, might want to consider that.

May 16, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #407 of 1,519
Hell, even listening to recorded gameplay doesn't do virtual surround justice as far as I'm concerned.
Well... like.. why ?
I believe there are two ways on how to compare VSS
1. Capture sound and video directly in game, dynamic - best during some benchmark where every sound position is the same between multiple runs (good to compare the audio/video sync and real feel of surround)
2. Static, like the link I posted, good to compare exact positional accuracy and soundstage

I am comparing only accuracy and soundstage..
As for real feel in game, this will differ between users preference as well as headphones signature, especially between open and closed headphones this might differ very much.

May 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #408 of 1,519
Technically you can't hear the difference of 16 bit vs 24 bit and I suspect the difference in frequency is miniscule.
Emphasis on technically, what happens if you play 24 bit content with only 16 bit output? Will the "compression" screw with the quality? Dunno.

Read up on Out Of Your Head and from what I gather it only remixes 2.0 as opposed to downmixing surround which is bad so don't get your hype up just yet.

can you explain ? I didn't understand what is the disadvantage meaning of it

May 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #409 of 1,519
Well... like.. why ?
I believe there are two ways on how to compare VSS
1. Capture sound and video directly in game, dynamic - best during some benchmark where every sound position is the same between multiple runs (good to compare the audio/video sync and real feel of surround)
2. Static, like the link I posted, good to compare exact positional accuracy and soundstage

I am comparing only accuracy and soundstage..
As for real feel in game, this will differ between users preference as well as headphones signature, especially between open and closed headphones this might differ very much.

Exactly, you don't get the feel of VSS from a recording.
I do remember checking every Youtube video testing VSS and went "Yeah, these do sound a bit different." as opposed to "This is a night and day difference." when testing it myself - but that's just me, hence the "as far as I'm concerned."

can you explain ? I didn't understand what is the disadvantage meaning of it
The way we humans can hear directional sounds is because we have 2 ears that are in very different positions.
(Ignoring many factors) If a gunshot goes off to our left we can instantly tell by distinguishing the delta of loudness and time between the 2 ears - which is exactly what audio engines attempt to mimic and what VSS attempts to mimic better still.

So the way directional audio work is by treating the 2 headphone drivers like the 2 human ears.
If a gunshot goes off to our left we can instantly tell by distinguishing the delta of loudness and time between the 2 drivers - VSS emphasize this effect because the original obviously didn't do a good enough job.

So why does 2.0 remixing vs surround sound downmixing matter?
Because 2.0 remixing doesn't add anything more to the audio, the DSP just take 2.0 in and changes it bit (think crossfeed) and puts out 2.0.
With 7.1 downmixing there's surplus of audio, the DSP take 7.1 in and uses the additional information to apply advanced algorithms to each of the 8 channels to figure out how to best output 2.0.
What's more is that 7.1 downmixing is very difficult, meaning that any given surround sound audio engine is less likely to do it well - so that task is instead given to your VSS DSP which simply receives pure 7.1 from the engine.

TL;DR: VSS only shines with surround sound source and processing, VSS without those is just bad crossfeed.

May 16, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #410 of 1,519
Exactly, you don't get the feel of VSS from a recording.
I do remember checking every Youtube video testing VSS and went "Yeah, these do sound a bit different." as opposed to "This is a night and day difference." when testing it myself - but that's just me, hence the "as far as I'm concerned."

The way we humans can hear directional sounds is because we have 2 ears that are in very different positions.
(Ignoring many factors) If a gunshot goes off to our left we can instantly tell by distinguishing the delta of loudness and time between the 2 ears - which is exactly what audio engines attempt to mimic and what VSS attempts to mimic better still.

So the way directional audio work is by treating the 2 headphone drivers like the 2 human ears.
If a gunshot goes off to our left we can instantly tell by distinguishing the delta of loudness and time between the 2 drivers - VSS emphasize this effect because the original obviously didn't do a good enough job.

So why does 2.0 remixing vs surround sound downmixing matter?
Because 2.0 remixing doesn't add anything more to the audio, the DSP just take 2.0 in and changes it bit (think crossfeed) and puts out 2.0.
With 7.1 downmixing there's surplus of audio, the DSP take 7.1 in and uses the additional information to apply advanced algorithms to each of the 8 channels to figure out how to best output 2.0.
What's more is that 7.1 downmixing is very difficult, meaning that any given surround sound audio engine is less likely to do it well - so that task is instead given to your VSS DSP which simply receives pure 7.1 from the engine.

TL;DR: VSS only shines with surround sound source and processing, VSS without those is just bad crossfeed.

I understand, some of it I knew. but out of your head mainly I'll use it for movies which are dts or atmos which are 5.1 and 7.1. will it work with it good?. if I watch bluray movie which is 5.1 and I use the asus virtual surround which is 7.1 . should I set the powerdvd settings to 6 or 8 speakers? also for me at the moment I want to use the asus sonic studio surround which work fine and the out of your head for movies. that's way I get best from both for each use.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #411 of 1,519
I hope someone can help me fast as I want to order the right AMP, but there are some decisions I can't decide because I don't know how it should be connected when I'll have the GSX and the AMP or if I should go for AMP+DAC. please help

So I jumped on a deal from ebay a used GSX 1000 for $204 total ( the delivery was $34 :X ) . I hope it will arrive. What I need now is a good AMP for my Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 Ohms . someone said on this thread I think which one I need to buy.

I saved it on amazon, he said I need natural AMP so it won't ruin the sound or change it.

This

JDSLABS Objective2 By NwAvGuy headphone amplifier JDS LABS
or
JDSLABS Objective2 O2+ODAC RevB

There is also new
EL AMP
HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

, also you can customize it. should I go for Rear Output to change it ?

This is the Default as it comes
This option is best for strictly listening to O2+ODAC with headphones. The front, right 3.5mm jack on O2+ODAC provides shared functionality: analog input to the amplifier, and paralleled ODAC line output. For optimal performance with external audio players or amplifiers, choose a Dedicated output option.

Dedicated Dac-line output (3.5mm)
A dedicated DAC line output is preferred when you plan to drive O2+ODAC from an external audio player, rather than its own DAC. This Dedicated 3.5mm DAC line-output option is located on the rear side of O2+ODAC, allowing you to connect ODAC to an external amplifier, pre-amp, or powered speakers. The front 3.5mm input jack mechanically overrides ODAC when a cable is inserted

Dedicated Dac-line output (RCA
Which is the same as above but RCA

Which one should I choose ?

I mean should I get the combo if I ever want without sound card at all or something for future or just go for AMP ? what would the best option you will go for if you will always prefer to play 7.1 or just anything that should be prefered.

So what I will do is use the GSX + AMP for games.
and will see if Out of Your Head is better for movies, because it sound good, but I just can't find the right present that I like.

This is what was written the last time :

Yeah - the Objective 2 amp or the Schit Magni would be my tip.

Grab the complementary DAC's (ODAC/Modi) for the units if you also want a complete system for music as well as gaming. (the GSX is great for gaming, not so good for music)

If looking for gaming only I'd probably (as mentioned above) just go for a headphone that works well with the GSX natively rather than double amping, but the amps mentioned would be a great addition to the DT990 600ohm setup

edit: you'd use a 3.5mm to RCA splitter cable to connect the GSX from the headphone out to the inputs of the AMP.

I'd say the O2 or Modi would be a better AMP than the Strix - give the line out of it a go with whichever AMP you go with and see if you find an improvement/difference.

Yeah - the O2/ODAC or Modi/Magni stacks go together well.
The O2/ODAC "all in one" unit would only need a 3.5mm->3.5mm cable (no need for the RCA splitter) - not sure if the Schit has a 3.5mm input?

I'm happy with my O2/ODAC's, but haven't tried any of the Schit gear - Aesthetically the Schit Stack looks better on the desk.

Would probably look to the one that is reported to work the best with the DT990's.

You don't want to use another DAC with the GSX its already a DAC if you want to use more powerful Headphones you must only try a AMP. Though like I have said above am not sure if it will work.

After all this, can someone explain me why there are 2 companies with the same name ? I would prefer to buy from mayflower electronics because they deliver the item as gift so there shouldn't be extra costs.

Would I want the 6.5mm or the 3.5mm ?

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/desktop-objective2/
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.co...iers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

This is the same model but the different model ...
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/167/objective2-headphone-amplifier-b-stock/

Is there any differences ?

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #412 of 1,519
I understand, some of it I knew. but out of your head mainly I'll use it for movies which are dts or atmos which are 5.1 and 7.1. will it work with it good?. if I watch bluray movie which is 5.1 and I use the asus virtual surround which is 7.1 . should I set the powerdvd settings to 6 or 8 speakers? also for me at the moment I want to use the asus sonic studio surround which work fine and the out of your head for movies. that's way I get best from both for each use.

>will it work with it good?
I listened to the 5.1 Surround Movie with Processing On/Off Demo – Transformers 3:
And it sounded like crap, you tell me.

>if I watch bluray movie which is 5.1 and I use the asus virtual surround which is 7.1 . should I set the powerdvd settings to 6 or 8 speakers?
I cannot possibly answer that, it all depends on how the Asus thingy handles... though from what I gather the Asus VSS is terrible so I would never even consider it.

Side note: When you have multiple questions you really ought to number them, now I must resort to the 4chan maymay arrows.

May 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #413 of 1,519
>will it work with it good?
I listened to the 5.1 Surround Movie with Processing On/Off Demo – Transformers 3:
And it sounded like crap, you tell me.

>if I watch bluray movie which is 5.1 and I use the asus virtual surround which is 7.1 . should I set the powerdvd settings to 6 or 8 speakers?
I cannot possibly answer that, it all depends on how the Asus thingy handles... though from what I gather the Asus VSS is terrible so I would never even consider it.

Side note: When you have multiple questions you really ought to number them, now I must resort to the 4chan maymay arrows.

I understand, I kinda liked the Asus VSS but anyway I already ordered the GSX 1000 and also the Mayflower Electronics Objective2 AMP and also 3.55m cable , so soon I will test it and see what's the thing with AMP and Surround both on the same time :)

I just hope someone can tell me how exactly I need to connect from GSX > AMP > Computer because I'm not sure 100% . . Also if you can write your surround settings so I can test what you already know is perfect. is there a way to restore to default ? because I bought a used one so I'm not sure if he changed any settings.

Thank You

May 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #414 of 1,519
I understand, I kinda liked the Asus VSS but anyway I already ordered the GSX 1000 and also the Mayflower Electronics Objective2 AMP and also 3.55m cable , so soon I will test it and see what's the thing with AMP and Surround both on the same time :)

I just hope someone can tell me how exactly I need to connect from GSX > AMP > Computer because I'm not sure 100% . . Also if you can write your surround settings so I can test what you already know is perfect. is there a way to restore to default ? because I bought a used one so I'm not sure if he changed any settings.

Thank You

PC USB < GSX headphone out aux < aux into amp < headphones

To restore defaults you just need to hold the four corners for a while.
As far as setting goes I just use the 7.1 without any extras on the device and 7.1@16 bit 48 Khz in Windows with all enhancements disabled.

May 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #415 of 1,519
PC USB < GSX headphone out aux < aux into amp < headphones

To restore defaults you just need to hold the four corners for a while.
As far as setting goes I just use the 7.1 without any extras on the device and 7.1@16 bit 48 Khz in Windows with all enhancements disabled.

Surround is 100% or default ?

EDIT : that's what JDS told me when I asked them

Simply connect the Line Output (AUX) connector of your GSX 1000 to the 3.5mm input of an Objective2. This is all you need to do!

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #417 of 1,519
@x7007

To connect to a external amp this is what you will need

3.5mm to rca cable

This is how you connect your stuff
1.Hook the Gsx 1000 usb into the computer
2.Grab your 3.5 to rca cable, insert the rca into your external amp at the back
3. Insert the 3.5 into the Gsx 1000 headphone out (Do not insert into the speaker output as they will only be 2.0)
4..Grab your headphone of choice insert it's 6.3/3.5mm into the the external amp.

Beware both the gsx 1000 and external amp volume affect how loud your headphones can be.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #418 of 1,519
@x7007

To connect to a external amp this is what you will need

3.5mm to rca cable

This is how you connect your stuff
1.Hook the Gsx 1000 usb into the computer
2.Grab your 3.5 to rca cable, insert the rca into your external amp at the back
3. Insert the 3.5 into the Gsx 1000 headphone out (Do not insert into the speaker output as they will only be 2.0)
4..Grab your headphone of choice insert it's 6.3/3.5mm into the the external amp.

Beware both the gsx 1000 and external amp volume affect how loud your headphones can be.

I didn't buy with RCA back connectors, cause I asked 4 times and no one told me that I must have it...

You sure I need the RCA connectors ???

Can someone please answer because I need to tell them to hold the delivery if I need to add the RCA Connectors on the back + RCA Cable from them ! I already told them to hold the delivery but I don't know if they do or if I need the connectors.

Can someone reply ASAP ??

I'm so confused I just want to know I bought the right thing and when it will arrive I will just connect how JDS told me.

EDIT : At the moment I told them I don't need the RCA Connectors . so they will send it

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #419 of 1,519
I didn't buy with RCA back connectors, cause I asked 4 times and no one told me that I must have it...

You sure I need the RCA connectors ???

Can someone please answer because I need to tell them to hold the delivery if I need to add the RCA Connectors on the back + RCA Cable from them ! I already told them to hold the delivery but I don't know if they do or if I need the connectors.

Can someone reply ASAP ??

I'm so confused I just want to know I bought the right thing and when it will arrive I will just connect how JDS told me.

EDIT : At the moment I told them I don't need the RCA Connectors . so they will send it

If you did not chose the rca inputs the method will be the same if using 3.5 to 3.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back