Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #5,371 of 12,194
Was expecting much more from the Eitr. I have the SU-1 so the Eitr or Gen5 upgrade dont make sense so Ill be looking to get an ethernet in, AES out solution. Probably thinking of the Aries now..
I don't really understand, what were you expecting? They've been saying that they were going to fix USB. Of course it doesn't matter if you already use AES or have an expensive box to do that already.

As someone about to buy a Yggy I think this is awesome. No need to buy a 700 aes card or something anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #5,372 of 12,194
With a tiny bit of luck and if your computer has native PCI, a $100 RME 9632 feeding your Yggy through AES is something possible :p
Anyway, if you're stuck to USB (laptop, tablet, whatever), Eitr and / or USB Gen5 look like the way to go :)

Ali

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #5,374 of 12,194
With a tiny bit of luck and if your computer has native PCI, a $100 RME 9632 feeding your Yggy through AES is something possible :p
Anyway, if you're stuck to USB (laptop, tablet, whatever), Eitr and / or USB Gen5 look like the way to go :)

Ali
I'm wondering if coaxial from convert Eirt will be same quality as usb 5 direct...
Any thoughts?

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #5,376 of 12,194
I'm wondering if coaxial from convert Eirt will be same quality as usb 5 direct...
Any thoughts?
Gen 5 USB direct should be better because the signal from USB will be fed directly to the DAC. EItr will convert that signal to S/PDIF first then the S/PDIF chip in Yggdrasil will convert it again to the signal (data stream) that can be fed directly to the DAC. Both USB and S/PDIF can be sources of jitter, so with Gen 5 USB direct you will have one source fewer.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #5,377 of 12,194
Gen 5 USB direct should be better because the signal from USB will be fed directly to the DAC. EItr will convert that signal to S/PDIF first then the S/PDIF chip in Yggdrasil will convert it again to the signal (data stream) that can be fed directly to the DAC. Both USB and S/PDIF can be sources of jitter, so with Gen 5 USB direct you will have one source fewer.

Logically I would agree with this too. Gen 5 module in my Yggy is what I will do when the self install boards are available. I don't really want another box before Yggy. I like it simple and clean looking. :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #5,378 of 12,194
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #5,379 of 12,194
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #5,380 of 12,194
I know. That's what I have been saying all along about Yggy's gen 3. That is why I never felt the need to buy Singxer su-1 or the likes.

Now with Gen 5, I will though. My Yggy is 2 months old and sounds amazing. It has never been power off.

Mine was sounding really ratty in the weekend. Kinda scratchy.
I power it down and then powered it back up the next day and everything
sounded great again.

I don't know what all that was about.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #5,381 of 12,194
Mine was sounding really ratty in the weekend. Kinda scratchy.
I power it down and then powered it back up the next day and everything
sounded great again.

I don't know what all that was about.
It's a known thing, not a defect. Since it has basically a computer built in it needs a reboot from time to time. You don't need to wait overnight. Turn it off and back on in 30 seconds.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #5,383 of 12,194
Any thoughts?

Did you read the latest Schiit Happened? Effectively Gen 5 should be as good. The Eitr is for people with non-Schiit DACs or Yggy owners, such as myself, who don't want to send it back for an upgrade.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #5,384 of 12,194
It's a known thing, not a defect. Since it has basically a computer built in it needs a reboot from time to time. You don't need to wait overnight. Turn it off and back on in 30 seconds.

It's a "known thing" that Yggy needs a "reboot" from time to time? That's new to me. Can you link or quote anything from Schiit about that?

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #5,385 of 12,194
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking here and there for awhile. I've had the yggy for about a month now. So far I am impressed overall. There are details in recordings that I never noticed before and just a lot more texture to the music compared to the DAC I had before, which was a Peachtree Itx.

The one thing that my Peachtree DAC has over the Yggy though is galvanized isolation on the USB input. When I connect my Yggy to my Synology NAS server via USB, I get a humming sound - but only when I am on my AV input on my Nait Integrated Xs2 - which is weird because my AV input isn't really "connected" to the Yggy. I assume this is a groundloop issue of some sort, but it never occurred with the Peachtree - which was connected exactly the same way and with the same cables. Any insights on this issue?

The other thing I want to ask other owners is whether your COAX input is a bit loose? I plugged in a new COAX digital cable yesterday and I noticed that the input has a bit of movement to it...maybe this is by design? Mine seems to be working great so not sure if I should be concerned about it, but I want it to be perfect.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back