Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #5,161 of 12,119
Having not heard an Aries or Lynx I have no frame of reference to compare them with my existing AOIP setup.
As for them being 'better', perhaps, but my recent explorations into the removal of 'unwanted' digital circuit noise leads me to believe that it just a matter of degree of improvement.
Much like the amount of change I have gained by removing the SMPS's from my existing AOIP setup has resulted in significant improvements, I would hope that those alternative approaches would yield 'better' as well.

But then direct experience has always been my most successful teacher.

As for my choice of name for my Jggy, it's just a word, and it was understood as such.
You and everyone else are certainly free to call it whatever tickles your fancy as well.

JJ

May 26, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #5,162 of 12,119
Well, I am trying to go for both clean and simple. My ideal chain looks something like this:

Roon/DLNA/UPnP/Open Home Server --GigE--> Roon/DLNA/UPnP/Open Home Streamer powered by LPS --AES/EBU--> Yggdrasil

In other words:

Server --GigE--> Streamer with LPS --AES/EBU--> Yggdrasil

You can't get simpler or cleaner than that. All the devices from the Streamer on would be plugged into a low impedance power strip which would be plugged into a Topaz Isolation Transformer. The devices before the streamer would be on a separate power circuit.

May 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #5,164 of 12,119
You can't get simpler or cleaner than that. All the devices from the Streamer on would be plugged into a low impedance power strip which would be plugged into a Topaz Isolation Transformer. The devices before the streamer would be on a separate power circuit.

Any recommendations on the power strip?

I'm looking into a few & all the good ones seem to be in the $400+ range. Looking for one that doesn't effect the sound at all, no noise reduction that might kill the dynamics.

May 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,165 of 12,119
Dear Yggy! I miss you already big guy! When you come back from repair, I'll try hard to stay with my promise of never feeding you inferior USB audio signals ever again!

May 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,166 of 12,119
May 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #5,167 of 12,119
JJ likes "Gettin' Jyggy wit It" <G,D&R> :)
There ya go. :wink:
And then there's gitt'n Jggy wid The Rok… hahahahahahahahaha

JJ

May 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #5,168 of 12,119
Any recommendations on the power strip?

I'm looking into a few & all the good ones seem to be in the $400+ range. Looking for one that doesn't effect the sound at all, no noise reduction that might kill the dynamics.
I'm not using an isolating transformer (no space, at least not without major work), but I have a Furman Elite-15i that my Aries LPS, Yggy, amp, and powered subwoofers plug into.

May 27, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #5,169 of 12,119
Got Yggy and HD800 over a week ago to partner with my Euforia by Feliks Audio tube amp.

Pretty amazed by the change in tone, largely attributed by Yggy. It sounds surreal now with 16/44.1 flac files. So much more details and clarity. It's like I've rediscovered my music again.

20170520_155318.jpg

May 27, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #5,170 of 12,119
FYI Schiit said the blacks are waiting on metal and silvers should be shipping in like a week if anyone is interested.

I had a black on order for a couple of weeks but hadn't gotten an estimated ship date. On inquiry yesterday, I was told they were unable to provide a date (or even an estimate) for when the metal was going to be available. Decided to switch to a silver one . . .

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #5,171 of 12,119
FWIW, I bought a second-hand PS Audio PPP, and a length of the now gone Cryo Parts power cable, as well as a length of Van Den Hul power cable from friends who run a hi-fi store. From the cable I built my own power cables using a variety of the non-gold-plated Oyaide power plugs. The two things that seem important to me is avoiding noise (the cables all have an outer shield that is grounded) and good plug/socket contact, which the plugs provide.

May 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #5,172 of 12,119
I too have been exploring the 'metallurgy' involved in making power cables.
And I recently swapped the connectors on my Shunyata cables for the Oyide C&P-004 connectors.
These use the same coating process as their $$$ big brothers but aren't as expensive.
As Oyaide describes them…
"The plating of the P-004/C-004 is a combination of platinum and palladium which were selected as a result of repeated listening tests. The inner platinum layer is 0.5 microns thick and the outer palladium layer is 0.3 microns thick."

That plating the substrate with .5µ or .3µ thick platinum group metals can make such a SQ difference is a bit mind boggling, at least to me.

The only downside to these connectors is they take forever and a day (≈1500-2khrs) to fully settle in.
But once they do the results are sublime.

And I concur that cryo'g any of these cables does make a meaningful contribution to the resultant SQ.
And there are other tweaks that can also help as well, but we are already deep down the rabbit hole by this point, where few are interested in going.

But the Jggy does scale really well when 'spoon fed' tweako signals and power, as one would expect, what with it being a SotA Dac and all.

JJ

May 27, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #5,174 of 12,119
That might be, but I haven't heard just platinum by itself or as a single coating, so I really can't say.

But I wouldn't describe the SQ of this combination of metals as they are being used in these connectors as 'mellow'.

They more resemble the character of the 800's, that being a precise delivery of the inner details, a tighter degree of focus no matter what music is being played.
Like switching to a more sophisticated optical system where it is clearly evident that more is being seen.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back