Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Dec 12, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #586 of 2,717
Yeah I do. The HD 800 S are great but they sound a bit cold. I'm hoping to warm them up just a bit.

Answer 1: Just roll the front tubes

Answer 2: I suppose you could try a long plate 6cg7. This should be warmer. I have no personal experience with this however.

My real answer: The HD800 is NOT a warm transducer. Try a 600 ohm or 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990. They are less than $150 and may be a better place to start before you jump down the tube rolling rabbit hole.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #588 of 2,717
  http://imgur.com/a/yOHCT

I got these stock with my Valhalla 2, but I can't find any info on them online. It also seems that one of the 2 smaller tubes has a 7 at the end of their product number and the other has a 5. One of them lights up much brighter than the other.

Could anyone identify them?

These are exactly what I got but your preamp tubes are from 1973, not 1976 like mine. Seems like Schiit is sitting on a healthy supply of nice NOS tubes to ship out with their Valhallas. Makes me feel good about buying into the brand. Seemingly against the typical tide they are shipping better and better tubes with their products instead of the other way around.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #589 of 2,717
I just unboxed and have started listening to my new Valhalla 2!

The tubes it came with have the pentagon symbol on them which I think means they are Novosibirsk tubes.

So far, after not even 2 hours of use, the amp sounds amazing! I am listening to them on my first pair of headphones I've ever used in my life - the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm "Edition" headphones. So far I'm really enjoying it, it has a very pleasant and smooth sound that makes me want to listen to more and more music.

I did notice a huge improvement in bass, volume and soundstage after 2 hours.

The only problem I have now is not because of the amp or headphones, but actually my computer. There is a buzzing electrical processing noise that comes through at almost all volumes, only music drowns it out. It becomes unbearable when my graphics card kicks in.

This is NOT the amp or headphones' fault, it's my PC (doesn't happen with my phone). I am planning on getting a Schiit Bifrost Delta Sigma DAC later on.

Husky

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #590 of 2,717
  I just unboxed and have started listening to my new Valhalla 2!

The tubes it came with have the pentagon symbol on them which I think means they are Novosibirsk tubes.

So far, after not even 2 hours of use, the amp sounds amazing! I am listening to them on my first pair of headphones I've ever used in my life - the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm "Edition" headphones. So far I'm really enjoying it, it has a very pleasant and smooth sound that makes me want to listen to more and more music.

I did notice a huge improvement in bass, volume and soundstage after 2 hours.

The only problem I have now is not because of the amp or headphones, but actually my computer. There is a buzzing electrical processing noise that comes through at almost all volumes, only music drowns it out. It becomes unbearable when my graphics card kicks in.

This is NOT the amp or headphones' fault, it's my PC (doesn't happen with my phone). I am planning on getting a Schiit Bifrost Delta Sigma DAC later on.

Husky

Hi, I had a similar issue with my PC - graphics card coil whine was audible via usb connection. I have a Bifrost Multibit and a Wyrd in between. It was only audible on high gain at very high volumes. The thing that took care of it 100% was EBTech Hum X. It basically broke the ground loop antenna rggrvy that was formed between my PC and the Valhalla 2. The point is, even if you use the usb connection, ground loop will be there as it is not galvanically isolated. Using an optical out of the PC into the Bifrost would take care of the issue without the need for the Hum X.

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #591 of 2,717
  Hi, I had a similar issue with my PC - graphics card coil whine was audible via usb connection. I have a Bifrost Multibit and a Wyrd in between. It was only audible on high gain at very high volumes. The thing that took care of it 100% was EBTech Hum X. It basically broke the ground loop antenna rggrvy that was formed between my PC and the Valhalla 2. The point is, even if you use the usb connection, ground loop will be there as it is not galvanically isolated. Using an optical out of the PC into the Bifrost would take care of the issue without the need for the Hum X.

I have both USB and Optical TOSLINK cables so I'll try USB first and if that gives issues then I'll try optical. It seems to be related to my computers load.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #592 of 2,717
The Valhalla 2 supports 600mA heater tubes, the 6N1P is an example.

The 6N1P is reported to be electrically equivalent to the 6SN7.

With socket savers and adapters has anyone run 6SN7 tubes in the Valhalla 2 (in the front pre position)?

The 6SN7 are working great in the Lyr 1 and Vali 2, so just wondering.

r2

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #595 of 2,717
R2: Here are some notes from a previous discussion:

T1.2 on the Valhalla2, here's how it comes down in A/B with Lyr1:

Lyr1(SYL6SN7GTB) >> Valhalla2(RFL6N3PE) = Lyr1(RFL6N3PE) >> Valhalla2(6SN7GTB)

This is only for the T1.2, it actually plays well with either amp, the greatest difference here is the amp/tube combination.
The Lyr1 w/SYL6SN7 easily pulls ahead of the other combinations. The other combo's are good, I suspect most would like the larger scaling mids of the Valhalla2 w/6N3PE over the Lyr1 w/6N3PE, I'm split on these two, the Lyr1 offers slightly better detail. Biggest surprise was the less attractive combination of the SYL6SN7 in the Valhalla2, mids are too smooth and large at the expense of clarity and tone.

Only tried these two tubes; the 57 SYL 6SN7GTB Chrome Dome is one of my favorites, and I have yet to find a Euro or USA small tube (6922 family) that surpasses the RFL6N3PE. These were late '80s (86or88or89?)

Expected better, but there are more 6SN7s to try, one of the 6SN7s with leaner mids might fare better with VLH2.
This is just a question of synergy and SQ, the 6SN7s do work with the VLH2 with no issues in this short test of +/-2 hours.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #596 of 2,717
I’ve read a number of people replacing the 6N1P tubes in the Valhalla 2 with 6CG7 tubes like RCA 6cg7 clear top and reporting good results. Just wanted to check with you good folks before I try a set out since the 6CG7 tube style isn’t on the Valhalla compatibility list.

Anyone have any experience? 

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #597 of 2,717
  I’ve read a number of people replacing the 6N1P tubes in the Valhalla 2 with 6CG7 tubes like RCA 6cg7 clear top and reporting good results. Just wanted to check with you good folks before I try a set out since the 6CG7 tube style isn’t on the Valhalla compatibility list.

Anyone have any experience? 

I have tried the General Electric 6FQ7/6CG7. The 6FQ7 and 6CG7 are the same except for a center shield between the triodes, the 6CG7 has a shield between triodes, the 6FQ7 does not.
This is a 6.3V/600mA heater, so not suitable for Lyr2 or MJ2. Does not require adapter.

It is an excellent tube for the VALH2 by my experience, but I can only vouch for this GE version of the tube. Purchased a few matched pairs on eBay for about $40/pair.
I would place it in the top handful of my favorite tubes for the VALH2. Excellent with reference to tonal balance, extension top and bottom, and soundstage projection, and no excess energy in any frequency range.
For me, and my setup, a better tube (VALH2) than the American or European 6DJ8/6922 family. Excellent value, actually, fantastic value compared to some of the other well regarded tubes.
As always, YMMV.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #598 of 2,717

I have tried the General Electric 6FQ7/6CG7. The 6FQ7 and 6CG7 are the same except for a center shield between the triodes, the 6CG7 has a shield between triodes, the 6FQ7 does not.
This is a 6.3V/600mA heater, so not suitable for Lyr2 or MJ2. Does not require adapter.

It is an excellent tube for the VALH2 by my experience, but I can only vouch for this GE version of the tube. Purchased a few matched pairs on eBay for about $40/pair.
I would place it in the top handful of my favorite tubes for the VALH2. Excellent with reference to tonal balance, extension top and bottom, and soundstage projection, and no excess energy in any frequency range.
For me, and my setup, a better tube (VALH2) than the American or European 6DJ8/6922 family. Excellent value, actually, fantastic value compared to some of the other well regarded tubes.
As always, YMMV.

So thats a big fat yes for compatibility on the Valhalla 2, nice!  Appreciate the the quick response. I'll post my thoughts once they come in.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #599 of 2,717

As always, YMMV.

Thanks for this information. I just ordered a pair of GE 6CG7 for my Valhalla 2. I'll be quite interested to see how they compare to my favorite Amperex 6DJ8s.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #600 of 2,717
Quote:

So thats a big fat yes for compatibility on the Valhalla 2, nice!  Appreciate the the quick response. I'll post my thoughts once they come in.

Thanks for this information. I just ordered a pair of GE 6CG7 for my Valhalla 2. I'll be quite interested to see how they compare to my favorite Amperex 6DJ8s.

My 6FQ7/6CG7 came from this seller, true NOS in original box and nicely matched also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6CG7-6FQ7-GE-Matched-Pair-VACUUM-TUBES-NOS-Lot-Vintage-Amplifier-Valves-TV7-Test-/112251528792?hash=item1a22b66658:g:pbQAAOSwZ8ZXBq7~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back