Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 22, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #12,631 of 13,350
To those using speakers: You owe it to yourself to try the Schiit SYS passive preamp.

For me, it's one big "oh my GOD" moment. A few times the improvements actually frightened me because they were so viciously expressive. I had no idea it was possible to make the system you already have sound so much better just by bypassing the amp in DAC/amp/preamps to use them in DAC only mode.

Can't wait to try it with the Modi Multibit once it arrives next week.
normal_smile .gif

My only complaint is that the tight volume knob requires more physical force and is nowhere near as smooth and fun to rotate as the ones on the Fulla 2 and iFi micro iDSD...but hey, it's just fifty bucks.

Edit: Just now I jumped up because I thought someone broke into the house...but it was just the music.
ph34r.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #12,632 of 13,350
  To those using speakers: You owe it to yourself to try the Schiit SYS passive preamp.

I had the same experience when I bought it for a smaller system. Very transparent. It's crazy how some volume knobs alone cost hundreds of dollars and that thing gets the job done for 50 bucks. Glad you got the multibit too, it is worth it.

Quote:

Edit: Just now I jumped up because I thought someone broke into the house...but it was just the music. 
ph34r.gif

That's when you know you have a good system. Happens to me all the time.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #12,633 of 13,350
Another SYS fan here. Great value piece of kit. Far more transparent than the old Quad I was using. Getting Saga next week, but I am sure I'll find a use for SYS with the new preamp.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #12,634 of 13,350
I'm also very satisfied with my SYS. I'm using it in reverse; one in two out. As long as you keep the volume maxed it works perfectly. I use it after my Mimby to switch between Jotunheim and SMSL SA-50.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #12,635 of 13,350
The SYS makes even more of a difference with the micro iDSD in direct mode than it does with the Fulla 2. (With the iDSD in DAC/preamp mode, it alters the sound a little too much, though it is a fun sound signature.)

I had a clever idea: connect an RCA to female 3.5 mm cable to the SYS to drive headphones directly from DACs without using a headphone amp. The Modi Multibit outputs two volts, which is more than enough for most headphones...but I'm not sure about the current. It's not a priority, but something I'd like to try sometime out of curiosity.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #12,637 of 13,350
  Any huge differences between the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost Multibit? (Pairing with a Lyr 2/LCD-2 combo)

Arguably....no.  Have both and the difference is negligible; perhaps a slight favor to the Bimby - though it would depend on how transparent your rig is down the chain.  It's that good; shockingly good value. 

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #12,638 of 13,350
This Schiit is pilin' up! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

pile.jpg

(I don't normally stack them like this. heh)

The Modi Multibit far exceeded my expectations. Once it's warmed up, so many recordings I'm familiar with literally sound like they've been rerecorded! (I leave it turned on.)

When "objectivists" claim all DACs sound the same, I'm just like:

tumblr_m7ds2vPuqO1ram5ofo1_400.gif

Unfortunately, mine crackles and distorts sometimes, so Schiit is going to replace it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #12,639 of 13,350
Hi, im new to audiophile world and this website as well, so i am lack with the basic informations on rolling my gears.
So i have a question for you guys..

I recently bought second hand vahalla 2 from audiogon and modi2 uber + vali 2 stack for me and my fiance. (so that we can listen to same music)

Since im broke after buying these gears at once, i am using my westone w50 iem and Earsonic ES3 for now. I am eye rolling on some cans that are mentioned here.

anyway, when i was setting vahalla 2 amp, i feel like the taller tubes are kinda loose, comparing to other tubes (or tube sockets) of vali 2 and vahalla 2's short tubes.

Is this normal? Tubes are not moving around, but i cannot say they are snug as other tubes.
(lets say in scale of 1 to 5, i have to push short tubes with force of 3 or 4. However taller tubes are 1; if i push it sideway with slight force, it will move).

If this is not normal,

Should i send it back to the seller? or sending it to schiit?

I rather sending it back to schiit for the repair, as i dont want to look around other buying options..

Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #12,640 of 13,350
Personally I would just use a sharp pick to tighten the sockets but the style used on the Valhalla 2 makes that tough to do. I just checked my Valhalla 2 and it takes about the same force to move the tall tubes as the short ones.

Perhaps someone did a lot of tube rolling with that amp? If the amp plays fine I doubt i would worry about it myself.

if you had issues down the road most anyone competent in electronics could change the sockets out for you.

May 7, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #12,641 of 13,350
That's the way I'd handle it.

May 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #12,642 of 13,350
An additional thought to consider.

IF that amp was heavily tube rolled and the socket is 'looser' than stock as a result, the next step I'd take is to clean the tubes pins and the socket connections for the amp.

I'd be willing to bet that a whole bunch of crud will come off them all.
And the SQ should take a step up as a result.

JJ

May 8, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #12,643 of 13,350
Thanks guys.
ya it didnt have problem running, but just worried me it doesnt work in the way as it intended to, as i dont have a new one out of the box.

but i cleaned the pins with cotton tips with 99% alcohol (Thanks johnjen) and now it is snug like others.

With my close examination, the pins seemed even cleaner than the other tubes'.. so im knida confused what i actually wiped out of it?
or wasnt i pushing them in enough before? However my valhalla 2 worked fine..?

Anyway thanks for all the opinions! and

Would do more for some answers for my curiousity?

Personally I would just use a sharp pick to tighten the sockets but the style used on the Valhalla 2 makes that tough to do. I just checked my Valhalla 2 and it takes about the same force to move the tall tubes as the short ones.

Perhaps someone did a lot of tube rolling with that amp? If the amp plays fine I doubt i would worry about it myself.

if you had issues down the road most anyone competent in electronics could change the sockets out for you.

That's the way I'd handle it.

An additional thought to consider.

IF that amp was heavily tube rolled and the socket is 'looser' than stock as a result, the next step I'd take is to clean the tubes pins and the socket connections for the amp.

I'd be willing to bet that a whole bunch of crud will come off them all.
And the SQ should take a step up as a result.

JJ

May 8, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #12,644 of 13,350
Thanks guys.
ya it didnt have problem running, but just worried me it doesnt work in the way as it intended to, as i dont have a new one out of the box.

but i cleaned the pins with cotton tips with 99% alcohol (Thanks johnjen) and now it is snug like others.

With my close examination, the pins seemed even cleaner than the other tubes'.. so im knida confused what i actually wiped out of it?

Anyway thanks for all the opinions! and

Would do more for some answers for my curiousity?
All's well that ends well. Enjoy the amp.

May 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #12,645 of 13,350

If the previous owner did some tube rolling the friction of pushing and pulling the pins in and out of the socket sleeves can clean them a bit.

Proper seating in the tube socket may have been the issue if they were already looking clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back