Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jun 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #811 of 870

it that case it seems that the USB chip in your Modi2U is powered by the USB bus as it is still working even when the power of your Modi2U is switched off ... that would mean that you have the version with the AKM 4396 DAC-Chip.

When I switch mine off with the switch on the back Windows doesnt recognize it any more. That one is the new version and the USB chip is powered by the Modi2U and not from the computers USB bus.

Ah, I understand now. That stinks. I just bought this thing directly from Schiit on the 10th of this month. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #812 of 870

Ah, I understand now. That stinks. I just bought this thing directly from Schiit on the 10th of this month. 

that is wierd ... I ordered mine I think on the 7th.

Did you order a "normal" one or a "B-Stock"? ... the B-Stock ones are maybe older ones from before the switch.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #813 of 870
  that is wierd ... I ordered mine I think on the 7th.

Did you order a "normal" one or a "B-Stock"? ... the B-Stock ones are maybe older ones from before the switch.

No, normal one. I just emailed schiit. I'm still in the 15 day return period and I'm hoping they'll waive the restocking fee for me. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #814 of 870
Short of opening the device and peeking inside at the markings on the chips, I suspect the easiest way to figure out which version you have is to send an email to Schiit with the serial number of your device... 

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #815 of 870

No, normal one. I just emailed schiit. I'm still in the 15 day return period and I'm hoping they'll waive the restocking fee for me. 

Something is odd.  I implemented the change between 2000 and 3000 units ago.  I always delay the rolling change announcement a few months so there will be no angst among customers who recently purchased the units at time of announcement.  If you return the unit as defective for replacement there will be no restocking fee.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #816 of 870
Wow, I guess I got the short end of the straw. Yeah, I mean if what was said about turning off the power and being recognized by windows, etc. is true, then I've definitely got the old version. I already contacted you guys and the restocking fee is going to be waived, so happy customer here. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #817 of 870
Hoping someone here can give me some advice.  I hop[e this is the right forum -- if not, feel free to re-direct me.

I've had a Modi for about 18 months.  Its been connected to my 2009 Mac Mini, running Yosemite.  I modified the Mac OS Midi settings to use 96 kHz sample rate.  Recently, I noticed that the 96kHZ sample rate was no longer selectable in the settings, just 44.1 and 48 are available.  I've tried connecting the Modi to each of the USB ports on the Mac, with the same result.

I plugged in the Modi to another Mac Mini that I have, somewhat newer, but also running Yosemite.  The 96kHz sample rate shows up and is selectable.

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it?

Thank  you.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #818 of 870
I am looking to buy a DAC and i have pretty much narrowed down to getting a Modi 2. I will mostly be listening to music from my computer and my current setup is Computer->Modi 2->Little dot I+ -> Grado SR325e.

However, because i am not very familiar with all the audio terms, i do not know what are the differences between the normal version and the uber version.  Below are some queries that i would like to confirm which can hopefully help me my decision. 

- If power is drawn from USB, there will be noise, so having a dedicated power source (in uber) will eliminate noise. (is this true?)
- If i am connecting to my computer, is USB the only input I can use? Or will I be able to make use of the other inputs on the Uber. 
- Any advantage/disadvantages between the various inputs available in Uber?

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #819 of 870
  I am looking to buy a DAC and i have pretty much narrowed down to getting a Modi 2. I will mostly be listening to music from my computer and my current setup is Computer->Modi 2->Little dot I+ -> Grado SR325e.

However, because i am not very familiar with all the audio terms, i do not know what are the differences between the normal version and the uber version.  Below are some queries that i would like to confirm which can hopefully help me my decision. 

- If power is drawn from USB, there will be noise, so having a dedicated power source (in uber) will eliminate noise. (is this true?)
- If i am connecting to my computer, is USB the only input I can use? Or will I be able to make use of the other inputs on the Uber. 
- Any advantage/disadvantages between the various inputs available in Uber?

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet...

But not that sorry because you are looking at good value DACs - both the Modi 2 and Modi Uber. While there may be a small sonic difference between these, I would stay more focussed on the feature set you want. If you see yourself, in future, using one of the other inputs on an Uber, definitely get that version. The button on the front of the Uber allows you to switch inputs from USB (even while it is still plugged into your computer, even while music is streaming) to COAX or Toslink, such as to feed from a disc player or other source. If you never plan to use the other inputs, the plain Modi 2 is a more compact solution, which does not need an external power brick.

Same concept regarding which input you select on the Modi Uber. Pick the one that best works with the source - do not concern yourself with the audio quality. All the inputs of the Modi Uber are good, and if there is a discernible quality difference, it is more likely to do with the source. That is the implementation at the source will likely have a higher bearing on the quality of the sound you hear through the DAC, versus which input you use on the DAC. This is true for USB as well. Some USB sources are better than others, and this is more likely to effect the sound - not choosing Modi 2 versus Modi Uber.

Get the DAC that best suits your use - that is my recommendation.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #820 of 870
  Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet...

But not that sorry because you are looking at good value DACs - both the Modi 2 and Modi Uber. While there may be a small sonic difference between these, I would stay more focussed on the feature set you want. If you see yourself, in future, using one of the other inputs on an Uber, definitely get that version. The button on the front of the Uber allows you to switch inputs from USB (even while it is still plugged into your computer, even while music is streaming) to COAX or Toslink, such as to feed from a disc player or other source. If you never plan to use the other inputs, the plain Modi 2 is a more compact solution, which does not need an external power brick.

Same concept regarding which input you select on the Modi Uber. Pick the one that best works with the source - do not concern yourself with the audio quality. All the inputs of the Modi Uber are good, and if there is a discernible quality difference, it is more likely to do with the source. That is the implementation at the source will likely have a higher bearing on the quality of the sound you hear through the DAC, versus which input you use on the DAC. This is true for USB as well. Some USB sources are better than others, and this is more likely to effect the sound - not choosing Modi 2 versus Modi Uber.

Get the DAC that best suits your use - that is my recommendation.

Thank you so much for your clarifications sheldaze! Am I right to say that in general, if I am only going to be listening to music from my computer, I would only need USB input? Lastly, I am really concerned about noise produced when drawing power through USB (non uber version). I have only read the last 10-15 pages in this thread and I have read some people mentioning this. I am not sure if this is a fact or a myth.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #821 of 870

Thank you so much for your clarifications sheldaze! Am I right to say that in general, if I am only going to be listening to music from my computer, I would only need USB input? Lastly, I am really concerned about noise produced when drawing power through USB (non uber version). I have only read the last 10-15 pages in this thread and I have read some people mentioning this. I am not sure if this is a fact or a myth.

My original Bifrost Uber draws power from the USB source for its USB logic and it's dead quiet. Drawing power for the USB logic is different from drawing power for the D/A and analog circuits. I believe the non Uber draws all power from the USB port, so perhaps the Uber might be less susceptible to noise coming from the computer, however, I would think that Schiit has voltage converters, filters and regulators for the Non Uber to control this. In addition to my Bifrost Uber, I also own a Modi 2 Uber and am very pleased with its USB performance.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #822 of 870

Schiit does a bunch of power filtering, as StanD mentioned above. It's possible, if you have a very noisy source, that you might get some noise. If that turns out to be the case, you should be able to fix it by plugging it into a powered hub or different USB port in most cases.

I suspect most people have no problem with USB (I know I don't), but there will always be a few that do. Easiest thing to do is just try it out, there's a good chance it will be just fine.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #824 of 870

A couple of us in the modi multibit thread thought that toslink was noticeably cleaner than USB and there was some argument about it. Then someone posted measurements and proved it. You might want to peek into that thread. I use a glass toslink. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #825 of 870
Hey guys, 2 quick questions:

1) The usb port is not only the powersource but also the input for the ''music data'' ?
2) Is it possible to connect directly headphones to the modi using y-rca cable with female jack or do i need an amp? (Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear)

Im just planning to upgrade my Realtek 892 Onboard with the Modi, (headphone use), but i dont want to buy an amp at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back