Schiit Mjolnir2 Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #61 of 114
Perhaps checking the Forum Directory and finding the For Sale forum would be a good start :wink:

I found that but I didnt know which thread to post it in.... seriously

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #63 of 114
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #64 of 114
Thank you very much..... EDIT: Well I can't post there yet, says insufficient privileges or something like that....

Did you read the main page of the that forum. It tells you:

New members cannot post classifieds (see the guide).

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #65 of 114
No one is trying to be nasty to you MS.. the reality of the way the head-fi forum works, you have to have been an active posting member for a while to do certain things. I could not create a thread until I had participated in a constructive way on other threads of interest. For all I know, I may not be able to list tubes for sale either... As the the people at DMV say, "take it up with the management," rather than with us few rubes who like tubes. :)

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #67 of 114
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #68 of 114
I got them for $100, I read somewhere they were made by Mullard for Germany. I wonder what years they were made. No Diamond on the bottom.

"Made by Mullard in Mitcham, England, for AEG in West Germany. AEG was the mother company of Telefunken. With R-code, disc-getter and gold pins"

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #69 of 114
I got some Philips miniwatts, 1 is microphonic.... will this maybe get better with burn in?

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #70 of 114
I got some Philips miniwatts, 1 is microphonic.... will this maybe get better with burn in?

Don't have a definitive answer for you sorry, not having encountered a microphonic tube before. Inclined to think burn in won't improve it - because burn in changes are usually related to subtle SQ changes - but I don't know.

This thread is valuable but seems to have few active followers. You may get more and quicker replies in other tube rolling threads such as that for the Schiit Lyr. No link sorry but shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #72 of 114
Don't have a definitive answer for you sorry, not having encountered a microphonic tube before. Inclined to think burn in won't improve it - because burn in changes are usually related to subtle SQ changes - but I don't know.

This thread is valuable but seems to have few active followers. You may get more and quicker replies in other tube rolling threads such as that for the Schiit Lyr. No link sorry but shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck

I am pretty sure burn in will not make the microphonic tube any better. If the microphonics are not too bad try and re-seat the tube in the socket or add a tube damper,

Thanks for the replies. I already have socket savers with damping. I took the Miniwatts out and put my Siemens CCa's back in. I will try them again later and see if it still does it.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #73 of 114
Finally have gotten around to my Reflektor 6N23P 1975 HG Silver Shields review.

These tubes are interesting - they needed a solid 300 hours before they started sounding really pleasant. Reputed by some to be the “best tube out there,” (heh, as many opinions as there are noses), they came to me unexpectedly and as an impulse purchase since I had not heard any Reflektors. Overall, this is a pleasant tube for my preferences. The treble is markedly restrained, and for me and my headphones, that is nice. It is an easy listening tube and, to me, seems slightly veiled with moderate control on dynamic transients. If I were to liken the sound to a physical experience, these tubes sound like being in a crowded club: all the people, clothes etc serve to take the edge off treble and transients leaving a very modest (yet not unpleasant) sense of dullness.

Sound Stage

Interesting: great front back separation providing lots of depth, the right-left separation rather narrow with the music pretty much being “between the ears” or maybe just a little wider. Perhaps this tube, like the Philips Miniwatt’s, seem incrementally sensitive to recording engineering. If the recording and subsequent mastering was not first-rate, then this tube lets you know that. Most tracks I listened to felt constrained in the right/left dimension of sound stage. A few tracks were great – Steely Dan’s Pretzel Logic sounds terrific, yet later “remastered” tracks sound like junk. Binaurally recorded albums sounded “out of your head” as they are designed to.

Bass and Transients

The bass was not as tight as I would have liked. Specifically, the tubes sound like they miss reproducing the first slices of a transient. Consequently, drum strings sound weaker, without that “drum skin/stick” slap I can hear with other tubes. Despite this, the tubes provide a solid bass sound once they finally get up some steam. On electronic bass instruments and keyboards, this transient behavior is less noticeable. For example, Smoke on the Water, recorded live in Tokyo, has great warm lower register and powerful authority, yet there is a crispness in the punch of the drums and the bass that is not present, though I hear in other tubes.

Voice

The tubes are warm in voice and that extends down into the lower registers too – like toasty thick warmness in the lower half range of the piano.

Summary

For a sub-$200 pair of tubes, these sound pretty nice and make listening easy and relaxing. Are they the sort of tubes that cause me to say “Nirvana! There are none better…”??? No, I do not think they provide as rich and dynamic a sound stage as some of the tubes already reviewed. Yet, I like them enough to keep them and believe others would enjoy them so long as very wide left/right sound stage width is your thing.

Happy listening... Next up in the review cycle: Telefunken CCa (early 60's large halo getter)

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #74 of 114
Thanks for the replies. I already have socket savers with damping. I took the Miniwatts out and put my Siemens CCa's back in. I will try them again later and see if it still does it.

Hi Mark Not sure extra burn in time is going to make reduce microphonic behavior. Maybe the dampers will help you, especially if you have the tubes on sockets, providing a bit more height. You could always explore putting a high-temp o ring on the tube.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 114

Yes indeed.. it does seem to be weakly followed.. I can listen to tubes and write only so fast :wink:

Maybe other people can write up their own experiences.

Have a great 4th of July weekend everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back