Schiit LISST Impressions
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #106 of 116
The second day with the iFi NOS 6922 on the MJ2, the LISSTs will stay in their box for now. Everything has more details, dimensions, and textures. Dynamics and extensions are also very good, no microphonics, not as hot as the stock tubes. Fuller deeper with a nice musical bounce that doesn't sound too tubey.  For about 900HKD, these makes the Schiit MJ2 sounds a lot more interesting!     Thank you Rowethren for suggesting!  

The only concern now is how to unplug these without damaging them. The MJ2 doesn't allow to grab them from the base. 

Glad you like them :D Regarding removal, the base is soldered on strongly so you should be able to just pull from the top after they have cooled down. They even supply gloves in the box so you don't mark the tubes which is nice.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #107 of 116
Just curious, has anyone tried these in other amps? What could be a reason for it to not work? My integrated amp uses 6922eh as preamp valves and I'm looking at some different flavors to play with.

May 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #108 of 116
Just curious, has anyone tried these in other amps? What could be a reason for it to not work? My integrated amp uses 6922eh as preamp valves and I'm looking at some different flavors to play with.

Came over to ask same question :)
I understand that LISST is made for specific amp and it's specs. But if it's drop in substitute i would be interested to give it a chance.
Schiit will probably not give any comments how they work with other amps (i sent them mail earlier today).

Does anyone know if LISST has some kind of fuse system if it gets too much voltage/power ?

Thanks & cheers

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #109 of 116
My impression of the Lisst tubes after a week. First I must say that I still have work to do to clean my USB signal. Rigth now I am using the Schiit Wyrd it has helped but I am also waiting to test both the jitterbug and the iSilencer3. A prayer for audiophiles using usb please...

So in short, although they sound neutral, precise with more slam and clearer separation, these Lisst also sound a little thin, flat and dry compared to tubes. I think I will use them 20% of the time to get some neutral idea of the music, but then I will go back to tubes to get that nice, surrealist and juicy sound.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #110 of 116
Can anyone comment on how the LISST in the Lyr 2 would compare to something like, say, the Magni 2 Uber? I am upgrading from the M2U to the Lyr 2, but would like a solid state option. My options are A) Hold onto the M2U for solid state B) Sell the M2U and pick up the LISST tubes C) sell the M2U, go tube-hybrid for a while and pick up a Jotunheim down the road :)

Just wondering if the LISST solid state experience is of comparable or better quality to the M2U.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #111 of 116
I am new to 'phones, but I recently bought a used Lyr 2 with some Tesla tubes... sounded pretty good with my Ultrasone Pro 900i. I was also trying out a Jolida FX tube headphone amp which had better highs than the Lyr, so I thought I'd try the LISST "tubes". My source is a Vincent SV-237 hybrid (tube pre) and Jolida JD9ii phono stage (tube), so I've got a fair amount of tube color already. Well, dammit, I like the LISST tubes better than the Teslas. I'm kinda pissed because I feel like I should've just bought a SS amp. But, when I listen to a good pressing, man, does it sound good! Better bass and more detail (I don't have an audiophile vernacular). I like a V-shaped sig and this setup is working mighty fine for me. I'm only posting this because I'm so surprised I like the LISST better than tubes.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #112 of 116
That might not be too far off. Initially I didn't like the LISSTs but there was probably some break in going on. I would plug them in and never turn off the amp. Don't judge them too seriously for the first few days.

Dipping into an old dried up thread, but what the hey. Over the years, I have found that, while it takes new tubes 30-50 hours to open up and come into their own (plus an hour or so each time you turn them off for a few hours), a solid state amp can take a month or more to sound its best but, if you leave it on all the time (as you should), it’s ready to go the moment you are. I also learned a long time ago that the longer you leave a solid state amp on, the better it sounds. A solid state amp that’s been on for a month sounds better than it did when it was on for only a week. It will sound even better when it’s been on for a year. You should never turn it off because you will lose all that goodness you have gained (primarily, I believe, from capacitors becoming faster and smoother as they repeatedly charge and discharge). Anyway, that doesn’t work for tubes for the obvious reason of cost, and the tubes themselves help reach stable operating temps much more quickly (although most top end tube equipment leaves the solid state sections and parts of the tubes powered up in Stand By mode). Just my $.02, and based on my experience with big power amps - only analogizing to relatively small headphone amps (even a monster headphone amp like the Lyr is a pipsqueak compared to a big Plinius or Pass class A stereo amp).

All that being said, I’m quite fond of the LISST tubes in my Lyr, especially with my modified HD600’s or HD580’s. A more ephemeral tube, such as the matsushita National 6/7dj8 works better with more incisive cans such as the HD700s (let the hate mail begin - but I quite like these headphones, once I got them mated with the correct amp, and added a set of Dekoni hybrids to get my ears further from the drivers which were clearly too close with the original comfortable yet bizarrely flat pads). Anyway, apologies for going off on a tangent, if such apologies are necessary in a thread that hasn’t seen action since Hillary was a shoe in for the White House.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #113 of 116
Came over to ask same question :)
I understand that LISST is made for specific amp and it's specs. But if it's drop in substitute i would be interested to give it a chance.
Schiit will probably not give any comments how they work with other amps (i sent them mail earlier today).

Does anyone know if LISST has some kind of fuse system if it gets too much voltage/power ?

Thanks & cheers

The literature is quite clear that Schiit strongly advises against using them in any gear but their own.

I must be really bored if I’m answering three year old questions about a product that hasn’t been made in two.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #114 of 116
Was getting some clipping using heavy EQ with HE6SE V1 and Tungsram tubes, so put the LISST tubes in to test.

After a couple hours of warm up, the LISST are sounding fine.

May 13, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #115 of 116
Just wondering if the LISST tubes will be making a comeback from Schiit. I know they discontinued them because there was not enough demand from customers. But, I just saw on the Tubedepot website that new production tubes are now hard to find and prices have gone up. What’s going to happen to the world of vacuum tubes. I believe more people will be going solid state. I’m lucky to still have a pair of LISST tubes which I can use in my Lyr-1.

May 13, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #116 of 116
Just wondering if the LISST tubes will be making a comeback from Schiit. I know they discontinued them because there was not enough demand from customers. But, I just saw on the Tubedepot website that new production tubes are now hard to find and prices have gone up. What’s going to happen to the world of vacuum tubes. I believe more people will be going solid state. I’m lucky to still have a pair of LISST tubes which I can use in my Lyr-1.
Yes. Sometime this year according to Jason. Can't be more specific due to the supply chain issues Schiit and many others are experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back